N8 opinions ??!!!

vishu9

Right off the assembly line
hey..this is vishu from Hyd..i've been dying to buy the N8 for quite sometime now but the only thing keeping me back is the amount of negative reviews i've been seeing lately..mind you that I am a huge nokia fan and been my using N95 8gb close to 3 years now...I just need a few things clarified, so plz help me decide.

1.Is the S^3 worth it?..in the reviews i've seen ppl complaining about it,saying its not flashy and does hold the eye-candy but frankly I dont care..i think iOS sucks and android is jus redundant wat with all the 7 home-screens n all,it jus doesn't feel that powerful as symbian when i tried it on the htc wildfire..so if there is any old time symbian user who's using N8, plz tell me if the OS is still gr8 and usable for a power user like me.??

2.The audio speaker quality!??..well as it is known, the N95 8gb has the best audio stereo speakers ever on a mobile and i'm an audiophile grown used to it a lot..one of the biggest letdown in N8 is its absence..Can anyone tell me if the speaker is still worth?

3.There is Xenon flash.I'm elated abt that but would like to know if there is anyway I can use it as a Flashlight???...everyone likes to have this feature and it comes handy in the dark alley at night or foe searching something under ur furniture n stuff....If not built are thr any mods that can enable us to use it as one??

4.Hows the memory performance in the Mass Memory??..one of the reasons why i didnt move to N97 was this gripe that the mass memory was largely unstable and would crash for no reason.

Sorry for such a long post..but i really need to decide on the phone soon
Other option I have is the Galaxy S but not too sure abt it coz it doesn't have flash and maybe jus coz I dont wanna feel like i'm betraying nokia...lol:wink:

TIA

Empirial

Youngling
Hi, so far I've used Sony W810i, Nokia N70M, Nokia N95-01, Nokia N79 & currently using N97. See every Os whether its iOS, Andriod, Symbian has there own positive & negative points. Nokia N8's Symbian^3 may not be as flashy as iOS or Andriod but its not abysmal either. I'd say that if you wanna buy N8 then go ahead & pick it. Many people think that N8 has only 680MHz processor so it'll hang often but the truth is that S^3 is very efficient so it doesn't require 1 GHz processor like Andriod to run smoothly.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1. yes. if you have been using Nokia device, S^3 will definitely appeal you.
2. The audio speaker quality is good but not among the best. It's comparable to that of 5800XM I think.
3. no. you can't use xenon flash as flashlight. just get a 50 rupee keychain with LED :)
4. The onboard memory seems to be fast. It is seen when you are playing divx videos where dragging the video doesn't show any lag at all.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
please just drop the loyalty/betrayal thing. :)
It is not that Nokia cares for you just like your friends/family and for that reason you cannot purchase any other mobile. It is your hard-earned money, spend it wisely not emotionally.

I am not here to make any comparisons between Symbian and Android because it is a personal choice honestly. But I would kindly ask you to check out Android mobiles like Motorola Backflip, Milestone or even HTC Desire (Samsung Galaxy too if you like) and see how does it feel. Go to a shop where you have all the options/brands under one roof and check.

BTW I own a N85 (and I am confused whether I should upgrade to N8 or join Android bandwagon). The reason I am skeptical about Android is that Google is now trying to intrude everyday activities. They have plans to push ads using Android platform (though I do not have a proof for this, just heard this from a reliable source) and use the information anyone stores on mobile. Lastly Android is an evolving OS and it has way to go.

Somebody in this forum said that what if Google turns bad or someone with wrong intentions gets hold of all the information google has about us.

OP
V

vishu9

thnx for the replies guys!....i'll have decided by sunday which one to choose between N8 and Galaxy S.. and the scales seem to be tipped more towards N8 after all!

Main reason for this choice being- I've been using the HTC Wildfire(borrowed) for a couple of days now and have almost developed a NO-ANDROID kinda feeling..dunno why but the open menu structure and the SEVEN homescreens! seemed a little redundant to me..got bored with it already..although the touchwiz on galaxy is i feel better in some ways
And another look at all the features i would be missing out on if i didn't buy the N8 (xenon flash,the best mobile cam,native support of nearly all video formats,HDMI,USB OTG to name a few) has made me reaffirm my faith in nokia..hehe:p
So with this thought i guess i'll have my hands on the N8 in all its glory by mid next-week..cheers!!:razz::smile::lol::C_xmas:

sujoyp

Grand Master
I really liked the great features of N8...just didnt like the old style symbian..

BTW I have heard that we can try Meego 1.1 on N900:razz:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
good to know your honest opinion vishu...do let me know your experience on N8 (if you make a purchase)...and post some snapshots too...
we desperately need an official thread for N8 discussion.i think it would be fair if a N8 owner does that...

OP
V

vishu9

BTW I have heard that we can try Meego 1.1 on N900:razz:

true but the MeeGo software that is available now is meant for mainly software developers and phone manufacturers to get the feel of the OS and try the source code and apps on the new platform...its definitely not for the layman customer like me or jus a regular N900 user..The SW is unfinished and doesnt confirm how the final version of MeeGo will be like

BTW MeeGo v1.3 is available ,for those of u who r interested might wanna try it coz its supports dual boot!!!:razz::-o
(even 1.3 is the crude product of MeeGo,but it never hurts to have some fun:razz:)

you might wanna follow this link to know more abt it
For developers’ eyes only: MeeGo version 1.1 | Nokia Conversations - The official Nokia Blog
Cheers!

the link i posted above shows some snapshots of the interface of MeeGo and it does look really promising...cant wait for the MeeGo handset to release, whenever that might be

Last edited:

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
hey mate, you just compared wildfire with n8!!!???
n8 is the high end, no actually the highest end symbian phone till now... and wildfire is low end android phone...
in comparision you cannot compare this two, wildfire has lowest pixel density among android phones and thus lowest supported application. its processor too is low end. if you want comparisions, compare nokia n8 with samsung galaxy s or htc desire or motorola milestone...
just consider the fact of nokia's symbian phone losing mobile share in india before you buy...
24k bucks means a lot dude so decide wisely...
other than that visit the galaxy s vs n8 artical in Phone Arena - Phone News, Reviews and Specs

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
here is the direct link to the discussion which above guy didn't give:

Nokia N8 vs Samsung Galaxy S - Phone Arena

And no offense to anyone but I wouldn't purchase a Galaxy S just because it looks like a cheap copy of iPhone...

Nexus

Broken In
Nokia N8 as an entertainment device wont fail you. Its a gud phone with gud multimedia support. But if u r intend to go for high end phones take aluk at Galaxy S.
Dont just luk at Application availability, as Android has many available.
But if you dont use applications den N8 is gud, My friend has bought N8 and it runs without any hitch, and he has already filled 4 GB memory.
Motion Sensor is fast enuf. Good Display.

~BSOD~

Broken In
Not here to demotivate you guys,but i dont understand why anyone try to compare two mobiles which are completely different in every aspect. N8 is a high end multimedia mobile which can also be treated as a smartphone but SGS is a smartphone which can also be taken as high end multimedia device in some respects. They both are manufactured keeping two different perspective view of audience holding them. They both simply cant be compared so easily just to see who wins in this task or that, which can perform better in gaming or multitasking or which one is the king of camera.

So all we can do is answer the doubts regarding the mobile (specific one) and dont try to compare them with this and that.

as far as queries regarding the thread starter

1. Yes S^3 is far by most advanced and easy to use OS developed lately by Symbian.
2. Audio quality, its not a hand-banger(like Chinese one's) but ya its really awesome and clear.
3. Regarding Xenon, no you cant use a xenon flash as a torch because when you do so, it generates so much amount of heat that it can go boom kaput :p and i dont think you would like to do so.
4. Memory performance, it handles memory far more better then any previous nokia mobile. Not fast like a computer, but it also handles USB sticks like pro.

As for matter of fact, all i can do to prove my points is i m a proud owner of both Nokia N8 and SGS (although it is of my bro, but i uses is mostly for my andriod experiments. :p)

suyash_123

Techno Freak
Nokia n8 and only Nokia N8

Symbain ^3 Phone N8 has far more superior Thing than Andriod and IOS phones.

1. USB-On the Go (my phone 2700 classic is connected to nika N8 and was able to see my mem card content as computer)

2. symbain 3+ 600 mhz procc +3d grafic hardware accelation > 1ghz proc for apps

3. Android is just famous for the app store (1 lack above app store)
how much apps u need?

in that app store remove all task manger,fart softwer and all Sh@t software then the count reduced to a small

Meaning the no of good and Importan apps are very less and this 1lack apps gaga is Just repetitive and stupid apps!

android is just good if u r google fan (for that My PC Is Good)

Symbain 3 fixes all major drawpack of his prev verion and has lots of New thing like Multiple calender. and many more...

just Buy Nokia N8

I m also buyin this Jan 2011 coz of some Money issue!!!!! (saving a lot)

I think this thread should be renamed as Gal S vs Pity Nokia N8.

Check this for the real comparison and clearing your doubts :

Nokia N8 vs Samsung Galaxy S - Phone Arena

Top Bottom