My USB HDD cannot be detected, but shows in Device Manager

My HDD is Western Digital 1 TB

My brother used the HDD in someone else computer, and thats when it stopped "functioning"

Brining it back home, i put it in my PC. It cannot be detected by My Computer

The LED Light is blinking, and i can feel the vibration of the HDD

Here are the screen shots of Device Manager and diskmgmt.msc

*i.imgur.com/BgtZtiS.jpg
*i.imgur.com/SAwtk1m.jpg

What can i do about it ?

There is nearly 900GB of Family photos and pictures with lots and lots of important stuffs. I cant lose this HDD, its too important. I have no backup of the files. Its a DO or DIE situation i NEED those files back..

skeletor13th

Broken In
use 'Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows' to assess the state of the drive and 'EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Technician' from KAT to backup whatever it finds by deep scan.

in my case the Seagate Ext HDD was asking to be formatted whenever i plugged it into my laptop. so, i used 'chkdsk' to fix the drive and got almost 80% of my data.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try it on another computer. If it's not possible for some reason then run a live linux distro and test the HDD there. If it works uninstall all USB drivers of windows, reboot and let them auto install.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Recover the partitions
Free Partition Magic alternative and Partition Manager Freeware for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10.

Recover files from unallocated space External hard drive [Solved] - Western Digital - Storage

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
use 'Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows' to assess the state of the drive and 'EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Technician' from KAT to backup whatever it finds by deep scan.

in my case the Seagate Ext HDD was asking to be formatted whenever i plugged it into my laptop. so, i used 'chkdsk' to fix the drive and got almost 80% of my data.

How do i run chkdsk when the Eternal HDD does not have a drive letter

skeletor13th

Broken In
in your case you have to recover the lost partition. so, get 'EaseUS Partition Master' and use this guide -

Free partition recovery software to recover deleted or lost partition

but, before you perform any of this, dont forget to recover as much data as you can with 'EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard'.

Top Bottom