My Minor Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I have to give my minor project of Enng. in November. Currently I'm doing Core Java and will move on to Advanced Java. Primarily I'm planning to make a game but as a "Plan B" I've decided to make a Telephone Directory program in Java with a twist. Twist is that after displaying the Address of a person, after taking a user input I want to link it to Wikimapia to show the actual city of address of the number.
I know you'll say its easy using JDBC and some basic programming but my quest is, if possible, to deploy this program on the web so hat it is available anytime, anywhere and nobody would have to refer to its files for using it if they want to.
My question is here that, to deploy it on the web, Will I have to buy space at a Web Hosting service, get a valid Domain name, all the procedure for making a site OR can I use my "igoogle" page to host it?
As its gonna be minor and that too for just a $h1t forsaken college I really don't want to spend a dime.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes you will have to buy a hosting account that supports your chosen language (JSP, PHP, ASP, and so on)

iGoogle is not what you're looking for at all, but you can look at free hosts like AwardHost and so, but they might not support the things you specifically need.

IMO its best to run this application locally at college, and deploy it later with some investment if you want it to be a public-usable service.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Since you guys have more experience than me in this field so can you verify my "Feasibility Study"? Question is that Am I right to think that I'll be able to develop this whole program using JAVA alone? I plan to use AWT for Front-end, JDBC for back-end and some scripting to link up the search queries to Wikimapia. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom