My Lab Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
59C -60C for E6550 at stock is waaaay too much.Remember, its G0 stepping so these temps look horrific atleast to me.
This can happen only when,
1] Your case ventilation is bad
2] You have a saucer of a IHS on the CPU.

I would buy Seventeam 500W PSU over the CM Xtreme power 600W for 3.5k.As it is its the same PSU anyway.
I went through this thread from start to finish and was surprised to see how the PSU, one of the main components being taken so lightly.
Wattage of a PSU means jack, its complete BS. What matters more is how the PSU performs. By performance i mean the amount of ripple, voltage swings on the voltage rails,especially the +12V line.
there is a very simple way to identify how good a PSU is, monitor the +12V rail from Everest (provided the sensor on your motherboard gets accurate readings).
Run Orthos, and see how the voltage on +12V rail drops on cheapo local PSUs.
Theoritically, the drop is ok BUT the fluctuation shouldnt be more.If it fluctuates a lot, its a clear indication of a pathetic PSU.
Interestingly all high end PSUs show 11.7 or so on +12V rail which is completely wrong (Checked personally with DMM) but it doesnt fluctuate a bit.That shows what a good quality PSU stand for.
For example, i was benching with 8800GTX and i used a Tagan 500W PSU with it and the Temperatures were like 70C and above.
As soon as i switched to my Silverstone 850W Zeus, the temperatures drastically dropped to 60-65C.
I know there is no relation,what my theory is, if the hardware gets clean and steady power from the PSU, it performs better,stays cooler too.
So the necessity of a good PSU canot be ignored.Agreed that not everyone can afford good PSUs but saying they are unnecessary is not right, gives out the wrong signals.
I see many here saying its 'Waste of Money'
i am speechless, trust me, i am telling this from my own experience, your investment in a good PSU will NEVER be a waste of money.
Ofcourse, if your PC requires 500W good one, you dont go and buy a 1000W one,thats definitely waste of money.
I hope you guys get my point.

Cheers !
Darky

narangz

Web developer
Hey it's my thread for my workstation, don't hijack..it's mine mine mine mine :D

OK. Sorry. I shall create a new thread. :)

If you have the chasis connector connected to Molex power then it will not be monitored & will run always at full speed. Where is the chassis fan? rear or side panel?

Yes the fans are connected to Molex connectors. I have 3 fans. Two on the side & one on the back of the cabinet. They didn't come with the cabinet. I have myself connected them.

EDIT- The new thread for my queries:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82489

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
59C -60C for E6550 at stock is waaaay too much.Remember, its G0 stepping so these temps look horrific atleast to me.

I would buy Seventeam 500W PSU over the CM Xtreme power 600W for 3.5k.As it is its the same PSU anyway.
I went through this thread from start to finish and was surprised to see how the PSU, one of the main components being taken so lightly.
Wattage of a PSU means jack, its complete BS. What matters more is how the PSU performs. By performance i mean the amount of ripple, voltage swings on the voltage rails,especially the +12V line.
there is a very simple way to identify how good a PSU is, monitor the +12V rail from Everest (provided the sensor on your motherboard gets accurate readings).
Theoritically, the drop is ok BUT the fluctuation shouldnt be more.If it fluctuates a lot, its a clear indication of a pathetic PSU.
Interestingly all high end PSUs show 11.7 or so on +12V rail which is completely wrong (Checked personally with DMM) but it doesnt fluctuate a bit.That shows what a good quality PSU stand for.
For example, i was benching with 8800GTX and i used a Tagan 500W PSU with it and the Temperatures were like 70C and above.
As soon as i switched to my Silverstone 850W Zeus, the temperatures drastically dropped to 60-65C.
I know there is no relation,what my theory is, if the hardware gets clean and steady power from the PSU, it performs better,stays cooler too.
So the necessity of a good PSU canot be ignored.Agreed that not everyone can afford good PSUs but saying they are unnecessary is not right, gives out the wrong signals.
i am speechless, trust me, i am telling this from my own experience, your investment in a good PSU will NEVER be a waste of money.
Ofcourse, if your PC requires 500W good one, you dont go and buy a 1000W one,thats definitely waste of money.

Cheers !
Darky

Rightly put forward, Amey. People commonly do think that good branded PSU is a waste of money when the price factor comes into account but they are not thinking that in long run it reduces cost, by saving our precious components.

Pathik

Google Bot

Cheers !
Darky
Great post. I myself didn't give that much importance to PSUs ever. Atleast not in non OCed systrems.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
finally i find two people feeling the same way i do ..but i learnt this(importance of smps) the hard way.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Ok, Choto said the Zebronics Platinum 500W model isn't available there but another model Delta is available, I don't know about it so I have told him to inquire about it.

59C -60C for E6550 at stock is waaaay too much

That was under full load, usually the CPU is at 30 to 35C

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Delhi - SMC International
Mumbai - Arihant Traders or something.

I got my 600W at ~ 7800/- now its available for 6800/- or so :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
What software do you use to read temps? There is some confusion with temp reading with Core2Duo procs.

The problem is that the TjMax is NOT documented for the desktop procs. Hence you can never say for sure that what you read is the correct temps.

Apparently Intel calibrates each CPU and sets the PROCHOT bit to trigger when TjMax is attained. Hence the software doesn't give out a correct reading. Your best bet is to see the BIOS. On Intel board what you see is Processor Thermal Margin. This is the "left over" tempearature after which CPU begins throttling.

Software like coretemp/hwmonitor etc. assume tjmax of 105C/85C etc. (as the case mebbe) and subtract the Delta to TjMax (Margin) and give the reading. Mostly it results in error as each CPU is calibrated when its being fabricated.

My E8200 is shown to be at 56C when idling by coretemp!!! BIOS shows ~44C idle and RealTemp shows about the same. Intel Desktop Utils shows the thermal margin to be about 58C. So the actual temps appears to be = 105C (TjMax assumed) - 58C = 47C which is kinda OK given that my case needs some work.

So don't rely on a single temp. monitoring software esp. with the new Intel procs.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
@ Anirudh

I have already studied about core & junction temprature in C2D CPUs. I use Everest & Coretemp & they both give same temprature. BIOS shows high temprature. Which should I use?

By the way, the side fans in my cabinet pull air inside from outside while the 120 MM rear exhaust fan pushes air out. Is this setup ok?

My GPU temp shows 50C when Idle & 60 after 2 hrs of gameplay, is this fine?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The normal temperature when working on net or watching movies etc is 35C

The load temperature is 54C usually when running 3ds max renders.

Is this high?

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Load temps a little on the higher side. Ideally it should be around 45-48c at max with no o'clock and at full load. But there are numerous factors.............so as long at it stays below 60c it is fine.
Mine 7950gt idles at around 47c and loads at 64c in summers. So your GPU is perfectly fine. BTW, I am not using any 3rd party cooler for the gpu. only fitted an extra fan just below the gfx card (empty pci slot) which blows cool air directly at the gpu.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@ Anirudh

I have already studied about core & junction temprature in C2D CPUs. I use Everest & Coretemp & they both give same temprature. BIOS shows high temprature. Which should I use?
What Intel BIOS shows usually is not the actual temp but the "Processor Thermal Margin" To get the actual temperature you need to subtract the value from TjMax. Here is the tjmax. select the one that applies to you and then compare the temps with the software you use:

B3, G0 and M0 stepping - 100°C
B2 and L2 stepping - 85°C
C0 stepping - 105°C

You can use speedfan and/or RealTemp to calibrate the temperature for correct reading.

By the way, the side fans in my cabinet pull air inside from outside while the 120 MM rear exhaust fan pushes air out. Is this setup ok?
Thats the most common and should be fine.

My GPU temp shows 50C when Idle & 60 after 2 hrs of gameplay, is this fine?
Same here and I hafnt faced any problems with about 51C idle.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Load temps a little on the higher side. Ideally it should be around 45-48c at max with no o'clock and at full load. But there are numerous factors.............so as long at it stays below 60c it is fine.

But should I trust the temperature readings? I am going to use Anirudh's method to identify temprature. TJmax temprature according to Everest CPUID is 85C

What Intel BIOS shows usually is not the actual temp but the "Processor Thermal Margin" To get the actual temperature you need to subtract the value from TjMax. Here is the tjmax. select the one that applies to you and then compare the temps with the software you use:

B3, G0 and M0 stepping - 100°C
B2 and L2 stepping - 85°C
C0 stepping - 105°C

Wait...what? My normal use temprature is usually 35C for the hottest core, & TJmax is 85, so what should be my real temprature?

Mine 7950gt idles at around 47c and loads at 64c in summers. So your GPU is perfectly fine. BTW, I am not using any 3rd party cooler for the gpu. only fitted an extra fan just below the gfx card (empty pci slot) which blows cool air directly at the gpu.

I am not even using that, just the default GPU cooler.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
But should I trust the temperature readings? I am going to use Anirudh's method to identify temprature. TJmax temprature according to Everest CPUID is 85C

Wait...what? My normal use temprature is usually 35C for the hottest core, & TJmax is 85, so what should be my real temprature?

I am not even using that, just the default GPU cooler.
Since you've determined TjMax to be 85C, use Intel Desktop Utils to find the "processor thermal margin".

Now the CPU Temp. = TjMax - Processor Thermal Margin

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Off topic : Those who want some HD content to check there HD capable systems can check the Microsoft WMV HD Gallery & Quicktime HD Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom