My Computer Stopped working :(

Gollum

Collector
I reconnected my computer after more than two months and it was working fine for a few days until one day when I turned it on, booted win7, entered password, hit enter and the computer turned off.

After that I tried to restart it. Post went well and after that the computer turned off.
I tried again, and it turned off during post.
Again, I tried to turn it on and it just stayed there with no sign of power up.

I waited for a while and then tried to turn it on but it only went up to do POST but turned off before turning ON the monitor.

So thought to removing and cleaning the RAM (both of the two modules, one at a time) but it didn't work.

So I decided to remove every peripheral of my computer one by one
hdd's, gpu, case fans, cd roms and in the end even the ram modules. But the computer still failed to start.

What could be the problem?
I think its the PSU. Also there is a strange sound when the computer turns off. Its like a click+swish sound.

I don't know how to check the PSU, its a cheap type psu.
Could it be the motherboard?

Computer specs:
AMD X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Asus M2N VM DVI
Zion ddr2 800mhz ram 1GBx2
Seagate 500GB hdd + 160GB
XFX GeForce9500GT 512mb/550/1500/ddr3
Frontech PSU 450watts
Four Case Fans 120mm x1, 80mm x3

Piyush

Lanaya
from where this sound is coming??
its either PSU or heatsink
so open up ur side panel and then observe the cause of sound

and does the cpu fan starts when u start the pc?
if yes then its the problem in ur mobo and not PSU

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
the cpu fan does start but not always.
For example, if I do a fresh start then the fan rotates and turns off during post. Now if I try to turn it on again it does not move.

Piyush

Lanaya
then its the problem of ur mobo most likely
but u should also get ur PSU checked as its a frontech PSU

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
I was checking the psu voltage reading the day before the computer stopped working and everest showed the 12v rail to be 12.80v and the 3.3v rail to be 3.6v

Piyush

Lanaya
the culprit here....
if u can arrange a good psu from ur friend or someone else...then u can check ur pc with his PSU
this will tell u everything

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
I was thinking of buying a cooler master psu 450w but now I'm confused. If the motherboard is fried then I will have to buy a new motherboard.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
It could be the rams or the motherboard- or else both.

Get the rams checked. Install it on a different system and run a stress test called memtest (instructions are given with the respected software) for about 6 hours. Similarly get HD tune and check the health of your hard drive. Make sure the system you're testing on has a proper power supply. If you taken the necessary step and used a proper power supply from the start, most likely we wouldn't be here taking hassle to test one component at a time.

Your choices are Gigabyte superb 460w/seasonic 380w/corsair cx400.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Can u tell me one thing, id ur MOBO getting power?

Removen every peripheral from ur MOBO (even procy), just plug in the power to MOBO and check if MOBO LEDs are lit up.

That will ensure if the MOBO is getting power at all.
If not, its either ur MOBO or PSU.

DIGITAL SOUL

Right off the assembly line
Well arrange a psu to check ur setup most probably the problem is in the psu,the ram are last ones to fail generally if u have a good company's ram.
if the psu is faulty (Check by shorting the only green wire and the any black one,if the psu fan is running then the psu is fine.)

DIGITAL SOUL

Right off the assembly line
then check ur mobo with a different psu.You have to check the setup one-by-one.
if the psu is faulty then go for any corsair model according to ur need coz coolermaster are not that superior to corsair in quality and performance.
Fav HX620w,TX750w,TX850w.

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
My ram modules are zion.
I don't think my rig requires more than 450w.
Right now i can only get my psu checked cause my pc is back at home with my folks.
Does rashi offer warranty in different states where the item was not bought from?

ssb1551

Technomancer
My ram modules are zion.
I don't think my rig requires more than 450w.
Right now i can only get my psu checked cause my pc is back at home with my folks.
Does rashi offer warranty in different states where the item was not bought from?
Dude Rashi doesn't even offer proper warranty to their own parts!!Its the worst from wat I've read in forums!!There is 1 thread where Rashi BASHING is going on!!:D

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
How much would an intel counterpart for my current mobo and cpu cost? Since i'm suspecting those two to have failed as well, i might have to buy them too.

Piyush

Lanaya
i would recommend u to go for AMD way
better performance at lower cost

if ur rams are fine and u want to use them in ur new setup,then u would be requiring an AM2+ board and consequently a AM2+ supported cpu

but i'll ask u to sell these rams and go for AM3 setup

Top Bottom