MTNL redefines broadband speed at minimum 2Mbps

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Re: BSNL *Revised* Free Night Usage Broadband Charges with New Plan Names

the old MTNL plans were not bad (no FUP, unlimited actually means unlimited), and the subscribers are allowed to continue them! so my 1mbps was upgraded to 1.5, and then I guess to 2 now, will have to check. miss it a lot, was the most stable and no hassles connection for me

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I guess it's applicable only for Mumbai?
If MTNL removed the true unlimited plan, MTNL lost the only USP.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
If I have learnt English right then yes, that article clearly says 2 mbps minimum. So FUP, no FUP, minimum speed should be 2 mbps.

hmm... can someone check and confirm, because it seems like post FUP speeds are actually at 1.5 and 1 mbps, and they may just have upgraded existing plans to 2 mbps but only before the FUP. That is another way to read it. At least, this seems to be the case considering the mtnl web site at the moment.

The unlimited plan is STILL continuing for those who have not switched away from it! they are not giving new connections that is all.
Their speed changed but not the price and download limit (from 1 to 1.5 mb) but this latest one I don't know, because in official site, there are still plans that dip to 1 and 1.5 mb after upgrade

actually, the guy at the exchange only advised us not to change the plan no matter what, because it was the best one. It was called mtnl triband when introduced, which allowed TV, net, VOIP and a whole bunch of services over the copper cables itself.

See right now it is like we have the truly unlimited connection, but MTNL has the right to cancel it any time, but they have not done it yet

at least some places in Maharashtra have it apart from Mumbai

ithehappy

Human Spambot
any one using BSNL ;-)
There are some places where you don't have a single bloody other company that BSNL, excluding the cable connections obviously.

But this news gives me some hope. If MTNL truly does that, then BSNL will have to follow eventually.

chetan.g

Journeyman
There are some places where you don't have a single bloody other company that BSNL, excluding the cable connections obviously.

But this news gives me some hope. If MTNL truly does that, then BSNL will have to follow eventually.

ya ... i hope so .. but most important is, reliability and customer satisfaction .. which BSNL is damm poor..

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
broadband providers are full of doublespeek, we need a separate dictionary to understand them

unlimited means at a snail's pace
minimum means maximum
high speed means for little time

after that, there is even need for a reverse dictionary, because the ISP have to get around the fact that they themselves use the words wrong, so you have terms like "truly unlimited" and "fair usage unlimited"

here is an example :

For truly Unlimited plans there is no fair usage policy, however MTNL reserve the rights to discontinue the benifits if the plan is used beyond the prescribed TRAI Guidelines for any commercial / telemarketing activities. This will be also applicable to customers of fair usage unlimited plans.

if it applies to both, why bother distinguishing? :confused: these babus are from bizzaroland

and at times unsure what exactly is the function of the word "unlimited" at all, why not just call it FUP based plans and be done with it?

eg:

Now Enjoy FUP Based Unlimited Plans with Monthly Data Top Ups.

:facepalm:

however, for MTNL, there is a simple benefit

Existing Broadband Customers can continue in their existing plan

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how come BSNl and MTNL have different plans ? On a side note : BSNL has just back stabbed it's existing customers with a plan change without even customers consent. So who can assure mtnl won't follow the same path ?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
MTNL won't, will tell you why

on their website itself, they have written very clearly
Existing Broadband Customers can continue in their existing plan

my dad, and his friend from the building went to check in MTNL if there were new and better plans available, the MTNL guy there told them that they already had the best plan, to continue with it, and not change it under any circumstances

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
haven't done speed test after they changed minimum to 2
officially was 1.5, usually got between 1.2 and 1.3, no FUP, truly unlimited

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
All the time or depending on time?
Cause my current is 1 Mbps 7am-7pm and 1.5 Mbps 7pm-7am
Also truly unlimited no fup

Top Bottom