Mozilla Announces Release Date for Firefox 3 -- June 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hmm. after working on opera for one day, I now feel that it's damn good. Am going to leave IE and stick to this till i feel that FF3 is worth the RAM :)

praka123

left this forum longback
FF3 is sure worth the fame. I am on FF3(beta) from 2-3 months now :p .It rocks!
especially swiftfox for GNU/Linux!

praka123

left this forum longback
^exactly.remember FF is competing against IE which is bundled(integrated with window$ shell) and forced by M$.(In Linux ,u can have epiphany or konqueror or any!no monopolies!).

praka123

left this forum longback
begging is better than forcing your OS to your nose(vi$ta crap bundled with laptops :x ) Just for a reference. ;)

chandru.in

In the zone
I don't understand what is the need of beggin too! If the product is good it'll surely get noticed :)

"Begging" is a very harsh term. The right term for this is called MARKETING. It is the missing piece in the open-source puzzle.

"Will noticed if it is good" is the attitude which keeps many open-source projects' market share low. Several FOSS projects are of very high quality. Firefox is one of the very very few FOSS projects which does marketing well and that is the reason it poses significant threat to the previous monopoly leader of browser world.

"Marketing" is the only thing stopping FOSS from great success. Thanks to Firefox for acting as a good model for other FOSS projects. :) "Marketing" is also the key which has helped Red Hat, Novell and Ubuntu get considerable visibility even in non-tech world. CEOs of many companies would not know Slackware or Debian (very very solid distros), but they would definitely know Red Hat, Suse and in near future Ubuntu too.

Regarding the depiction of India (if it is Kashmir), they have not included the area of POK (Pakistan Occupied Kashmir). This would serve as a reminder to Indians that a part of motherland is not completely held by us. :(

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
"Begging" is a very harsh term. The right term for this is called MARKETING. It is the missing piece in the open-source puzzle.

Sounds like a good deal, right? All you have to do is get Firefox 3 during Download Day to help set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours - it’s that easy. We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.
I consider that begging! To each his own :) FF is such a good product that it shouldn't resort to such cheap publicity.

"Will noticed if it is good" is the attitude which keeps many open-source projects' market share low. Several FOSS projects are of very high quality. Firefox is one of the very very few FOSS projects which does marketing well and that is the reason it poses significant threat to the previous monopoly leader of browser world.
Advertising and highlighting facts to the rescue! And its different from marketting!

Regarding the depiction of India (if it is Kashmir), they have not included the area of POK (Pakistan Occupied Kashmir). This would serve as a reminder to Indians that a part of motherland is not completely held by us. :(
It is an offence to depict the Indian map that way. Officially PoK is still a part of India.

chandru.in

In the zone
I agree with the depiction of Kashmir too. It is offensive. When I said my first comment, I intended pun. :D

Also how is advertising different from marketing. It is just a form of marketing.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Also how is advertising different from marketing. It is just a form of marketing.
Sorry, my mistake. Typo there.. wanted to say the same!

What I wanted to convey was.. let Mozilla highlight the new features and give a real world comparison seeing which users would be tempted to download FF, instead of simply saying... plz download.. plz download.. we wanna set a world record!

chandru.in

In the zone
But it would fail among the non tech savvy crowd. Tech savvy guys would anyway hunt for new features in FF3 and there are available easy in their site. Anyway, let's stop arguing. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
But it would fail among the non tech savvy crowd. Tech savvy guys would anyway hunt for new features in FF3 and there are available easy in their site. Anyway, let's stop arguing. :)

Actually non techi guys also use firefox. I was surprised to one of my pure nontechi friend use firefox.. even non techi guys are aware about the alternatives . ;)

chandru.in

In the zone
Actually non techi guys also use firefox. I was surprised to one of my pure nontechi friend use firefox.. even non techi guys are aware about the alternatives . ;)

That's exactly what I meant. Marketing has helped FF achieve this. Ask your non-techie whether he even knows about Pidgin or The Gimp. The most probable answer would be a no. :(

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
That's exactly what I meant. Marketing has helped FF achieve this. Ask your non-techie whether he even knows about Pidgin or The Gimp. The most probable answer would be a no. :(
he doesnot chat nor he does any image editing.. :p, my discussion was only related to the browser and its reach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom