Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Few movies that I've watched in last two weeks,

Titli 9/10

This is one must watch movie and for movies like this our thread was created.
A film-noir for sure with commendable acting from all and a story well told.
Hats off to Kanu Behl, the director, as not for a split second this seemed to be a movie.

Max Steel 5/10

This is a prime example of how not to make superhero movie. Can be skipped.

Nil Battey Sannata 8/10

A small gem from our indie film makers. Marvelous acting by Swara Bhaskar and Riya Shukla

Kapoor and Sons 8/10

Why didn't we send this for Oscar? Leave alone Dangal or others. Really not comparing with them biggies but this, this is pure genius.
Such a movie on pure nothing, this is like magic. Making gold out from thin air.
It's been close to one month but I'm still not recovered from this. Don't miss this.

b/w Ratna Pathak!!! In both "Kapoor and Sons" and "Nil Battey Sannata" she has done such marvelous job. Guess director are just re-discovering her acting talent. I'm amazed.

Lake Eerie 5/10

Heavily inspired by "Stranger Things" and a shame in the name of horror movie. Has a nude scene, may be just to make the poster. Avoid.

Within 4/10

Sigh! A copy of "The Boy" but poorly written and acted. Avoid.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Let's Kill Ward's Wife 7.5/10

This is a weird movie. You can hate this but if you invest time you may
just end up liking this. That too for the sheer unique execution type
of the story.

Started funny, a bit in the line of a dark comedy but at times crossed
line of funny to bizarre. It was like for a brief moment but enough to
grab your attention. A very clever way of execution.

I liked the treatment, the climax is just a bit cinematic to build a
false tension but rest is good.

Check it out.

Raees 7/10

Well, watched on 26th January.

Screenplay: Straight outta a 80's movie theme. A robinhood type character for whom business is everything and no business untouchable unless it does harm to innocent.

Character development: SRK's character was given more screentime (obviously) but we see hardly any change with time. He sure goes big but stays same. Nawazuddin also got a meatier role and some good lines. The director sure did not underplayed Nawaz's role to highlight SRK that I can say for sure. Mahira was a guest appearance (IDK what else can justiofy her brief presence). Other supporting characters are just expendable.

Direction: SRK was handled way too good. His over the top acting (which other directors sure love to portray on and on) was missing. A very calm and poised approach with a bit of heroism was mixed in his role here. There are one or two really scenes where SRK shows his scale of acting (specially the breakdown scene). Since FAN I'll say this is SRK's another good movie. After a long time SRK had done some raw action and he pulled it off quite well.

Music: Two hit songs already. Dhingana was so so. Surprisingly good background score. It was done right.

Verdict: A movie with a script, this was missing for a long time in a SRK movie. If you are an SRK fan, you need not me tell you to watch this. If you are not a fan, well give it a try. A regular pot-boiler and you won't be bored that I can say.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The BFG 7/10

Stunning cinematography or should I say CGI...
Rest is good.

iBoy 6/10

Hmmm. Far-fetched idea for a super-hero movie. A bit logic and could have been good.

Justice league Dark 7/10

Got introduced to some new characters. Very fast paced. If you are a fan of the show, check it out.

Jack Reacher : Never go back 6/10

I think I enjoyed the first one better than this.

icebags

Technomancer
The Great Wall (2016) - IMD - 7/10

fair enough, very enjoyable if like fantasy movies. kinda felt like playing a mmo, like sword art online or something. visually good, not much of a story, weird character developments, but technique is good and overall nice.

Last edited:

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Nice thread..

Iboy - movie could have been better.

BFG - story sucks, but graphics are good.

Kaabil - good old emotional story (predictable). 1st half slow.
At the end its like masala movie.
Apart from showing sympathy towards these kind of cinema, I would love to see better story.
Good Dialogues. Overall good package.

Raees - nawaaz acting is looks same as every other movie. He could have been used better.
SRK shines. But paki girl acting was good, could have been used better. Typical masala entertainer.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Hacksaw Ridge ...wowo after a long time one powerhouse of a movie. HOwever my fav and all time top movie will still remain Black hawk down,, but Hacksaw Ridge will certainly comes under top 10 all time war movies. The war scenes were top notch ...again ..All thanks to the super high standards that were set by just mind blowing war scenes by Saving Private Ryan ...any out and out war move that has come up after that had to match it up else lose its worth.

What did not attain to my movie critic senses was the melodrama, the slow mo scenes, which even though less. Takes away the brutal aspect of war depicted, plus few of the dialogues were a bit off track. Over all a highly satisfying movie...7/10 for this one

- - - Updated - - -

SULLY ... FABULOUS, Just plain simple FABULOUS movie this was. Tom Hanks still rocks man, he just nails the character, be it SULLY or Captain Phillips and the direction from Clint East Wood is as ever perfect!. Its so strange and weird to see how a person who saved the lives of all passengers on that Hudson River Plane Landing Incident, had to go through the rigorous investigation and had to justify his service as a highly experienced pilot flying for more than 40 years. I was glued to the seat for entire movie. Though not the BEST of client east wood directed movies, but still pretty high on the list .......7.5/10 for this one.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic

The Blackcoat's Daughter 6/10

For a long time in the movie nothing happens or is it?
You must pay close attention to understand the plot and reason behind it.
A bit slow even for the horror movies which are good when slow.

Can't really say that I've liked it very much.

Arrival 8/10

Then there is movies like this for which my whole passion for watching movies can be justified. This kind of movies assures me that there are still people who go for an original idea.

An original script with captivating performance what more can you want from a movie.
Hope this got some Oscar nomination this year. Should win too (probably for best screenplay)

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
The Blackcoat's Daughter 6/10

For a long time in the movie nothing happens or is it?
You must pay close attention to understand the plot and reason behind it.
A bit slow even for the horror movies which are good when slow.

Can't really say that I've liked it very much.

Arrival 8/10

Then there is movies like this for which my whole passion for watching movies can be justified. This kind of movies assures me that there are still people who go for an original idea.

An original script with captivating performance what more can you want from a movie.
Hope this got some Oscar nomination this year. Should win too (probably for best screenplay)
IMDb mail?

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic

That is horrendous decission. It was always interesting to consult before deciding on watching a movie, but most of all, IMDB was the plce to read to understand better different elements of a movie, specially BrainF*&k movies. Very very dissappointed to learn it is going to be cancelled.

Top Bottom