Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Mary and Max (2009) - 8.7/10
Excellent movie and the clay animation is like Shawn movies...really good.

But I don't think this is for Kids ;)

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
The Witch - 2015 7.3/10
I thought it was one of the better modern horror movies. No jump scares, great setting and mood.
On the downside, the ending is a bit anti-climatic.
I needed subtitles because they speak in a Shakespeare kind old English.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Pink, could be an important movie of this year but not the best movie. It's a poorly made movie with lots of loopholes.
Again, before you jump your guns, it's an important movie but poorly made movie.

Dhanak 9/10

With this Nagesh Kukunoor created fairytale on celluloid. Nothing else comes to it's comparison.
The perfect feel-good movie for any time.

The taking of Deborah Logan 6.5/10

Got some bad subs, couldn't understand few plotpoints. If you could manage good subs, this may be a good investment of time.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Dear film lover,

We are excited to bring to you an IMDb experience catered to the interests of the millions of movie & TV fans in India. Today we launched India Spotlight - IMD. Now, in addition to using IMDb as the authoritative destination for international films and TV shows, you can rely on us as an entertainment destination that will keep you up to date on the latest and greatest Indian movies.

Bookmark India Spotlight - IMD or download the IMDb app to stay current with “What’s Trending in India” across upcoming movies and celebrities, updated daily.

You can now plan your movie nights based on the “IMDb Top Rated Indian Movies” list that includes movies in Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, and Bengali. The list is ranked by a rigorous formula which includes the number of ratings each movie received among other criteria. To complement the movie recommendations based on inputs from IMDb users, you will also discover recommendations based on our editors picks. Our editors put me through an Amitabh Bachchan quiz today. I scored a measly 5/10 – clearly I have more Big B movie watching to do.

I am proud and humbled to see millions of people across the world using IMDb everyday. IMDb was born out of my personal film diary and lifelong obsession with cinema. IMDb’s first version was the simple database I created on my computer of every film I saw since the age of 13. I encourage you to visit IMDb and join the community of passionate movie fans across the world. I have 234 Indian movies on my watchlist currently, and my most memorable Indian film is 3 Idiots (2009). What is yours? Tell us using the hashtag #IMDbIndia

Cheers,
Col

Akira

Augmented Nerd
Wah re Bollywood...
Mumbai Mirror reports that the American entertainment production company Netflix is planning to sue the makers of Kaabil for plagiarism. The report states that Netflix finds glaring similarities between the promos of Kaabil and its original production Daredevil.
Three similarities have been pointed out by Netflix yet. Firstly, the protagonists of both the productions are blind. Secondly, some of the choreography for the action scenes shown in the promos of the film have been directly lifted from those in Daredevil. Thirdly, the colour scheme of the two productions also looks quite similar.
However, Gupta's plagiarism record is well-documented. His 2002 action ensemble Kaante was allegedly plagiarised from American filmmaker Quentin Tarantino's 1992 crime thriller Reservoir Dogs. Also, his 2006 directorial Zinda was copied from Korean filmmaker Park Chan-wook's 2003 neo-noir mystery thriller Oldboy. His last outing Jazbaa, that released last year, was also the official remake of another South Korean film by Won Shin-yun, the 2007 crime thriller Seven Days.

I dont get it. Do they really think they'll get away with plagiarism in this day and age? Source: Firstpost

TheSloth

The Slowest One
there was another Tamil movie which was almost a copy Assassin's Creed game sometime back. Vijay has acted in that movie.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
^thanks dude. This movie I was talking about. Though I have not seen but I am sure story also would have been stolen from somewhere. I was disappointed and lost interest to watch after seeing the ads

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
^thanks dude. This movie I was talking about. Though I have not seen but I am sure story also would have been stolen from somewhere. I was disappointed and lost interest to watch after seeing the ads
I don't think it is the same story: Puli (2015 film) - Wikipedi. It was a flop anyway.But copying from international movies happen regularly in india. It's surprising that they don't get into trouble more often.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Watched

Children of Men - 9/10 - It's one movie that never ceases to capture my attention. Everything is perfect.

A Separation - 7.5/10 - First Iranian movie to win oscar. It's a drama and very well acted out. Interesting while unassuming at the same time.

After the Dark - 5.5/10 - Had so much potential but overall a timepass movie.

Triangle - 7/10 - Watched again. Rating down to 7 this time. Concept is definitely good. But acting was ok.

shreeux

Movie Buff
Watched

A Separation - 7.5/10 - First Iranian movie to win oscar. It's a drama and very well acted out. Interesting while unassuming at the same time.

Watched all Asghar Farhadi's movies ...Except awaiting for The Salesman (2016) for good print.

Try to watch his movies all are made good.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The Wailing 8/10

Very seldom there comes a movie with an original idea. This is even more rare in horror genre.
Since The Cure I found this one fulfilling the void in proper sense.
Starts slow but I can't really term any scene unnecessary even after its slow pace.

An original idea, accompanied with brilliant acting just wins over everything.

Last edited:

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
The Magnificient Seven (2016) ... Directed by Antoine Fuqua I have seen so many of Antoine Fuqua movies and I have loved them all, The strange which also is the best part for his movies is almost all are typical hollywood movies, with all typical ingredients of a masala movie, (except maybe Training Day and Brooklyn's Finest, which also incidentally are my Best from Antoine Fuqua), BUT somehow he still manages to make them interesting and stand apart, with enough and correct emotions and action to satisfy even when critically watched.

Magnificent seven is no exception, story is blatantly straight with no twists or complexity, which is also true with the original version. In the 18th century mexco, a village is terrorized by an outlaw, and the villagers hire the protagonist (again mast performance by Denzel Washington) to save them, who in turns hire 6 others, and together they fight a gunshot battle to save the day ...simple ...

But again the way its made makes it very interesting, it has all the clichés of a western Movie, but still you love them, The final battle shootout is long and satisfying.

My only gripe was it could have been a little more gruesome, and hard hitting, like few of the old westerns are, none the less its a 7/10 for this one.

Top Bottom