Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
So finally watched BvS.

I'd say don't listen to all the critics out there, movie is damn good.

3D effect is best (not one of the best) I ever saw.

Maybe I can also criticize the movie after I apply my brains as others are doing but I was too busy enjoying the movie.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I've mostly made up my mind, unless someone [strike]tells[/strike] explains to me otherwise. This movie tried to be dark and dumb. It wasn't as dark and dumb can go, but it was dark and dumb enough as a template for future DC cinematic universe. Like Game of Thrones is the benchmark when it comes to being dark and [strike]dumb[/strike] full of terrors.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
^^ I fail to understand your post? What r u getting at?? Was it dark, was it not, was it dumb, was it not ...lol ???

icebags

Technomancer
So finally watched BvS.

I'd say don't listen to all the critics out there, movie is damn good.

3D effect is best (not one of the best) I ever saw.

Maybe I can also criticize the movie after I apply my brains as others are doing but I was too busy enjoying the movie.

yes, just enjoy it, and let the brain relax. :love_NF:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^^ I fail to understand your post? What r u getting at?? Was it dark, was it not, was it dumb, was it not ...lol ???
it was an appropriately calibrated amount of darkness and dumbness for cinematic zombies

I'd watch it again in a heartbeat for pearls scene and just superman's cape fluttering in the wind.

- - - Updated - - -

anyone wanna go watch it in 4DX, lemme know

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Ki and Ka 4/10

An "one line idea" made into a 2.5 hrs of movie. What more than a bore-fest can you expect from this?!

Below comment has important plot spoilers.

The movie starts in a pretentious way.
Kia (Kareena) shouts in her friend's wedding that she thinks her friend's life is now ruined. I mean, even if I agree that none but Kia sees that the girl's life is ruined what is point of shouting at the wedding? What were she doing when she was getting married and couldn't she put some sense into her?!

Anyway, let's move on with the thought that the scene purely exists for the sake of establishing Kia's outlook to her life and the life around her.

Then the big idea is brought on and we see the marriage where Ka (Kabir or Arjun) gets married to Ki and literally wears mangalsutra!!! I fail to understand why was this thing necessary. It's like slapping your face repeatedly with the 'brilliant' idea so that you see it. There are ways to explain the big idea and then there's hammering it into your head.

Then, till intermission nothing happens. I mean nothing interesting or anything that if edited could make the movie less meaningful to you.

Oh yeah something happens though. Ka does the monthly budget to save money for flat purchase. I was disgusted by this.
The maid takes home 10,000/- per month alone and does only dishes and dusting!!! (My Delhi friends [the movie is set in Delhi] please tell me if the part-time bai costs you this much at your place. If found correct then I'll sure never move to Delhi ever.
And after a long thinking and spend cuts he reaches a monthly budget of ........................... 95,000/- per month (note, this is excluding house rent and supposed to be spent on only necessary things). R Balki sure has some weird idea of economy like Karan Johar has about how schools work!!!
Second half started equal boring. And just before climax this movie picks up on a serious note i.e. a forced conflict between the lead pair. This conflict that too resolved with such ease that'll leave you wondering. Only high point of this movie is the cameo of Amitabh Bachhan and Jaya Bachhan.

Verdict: This movie took itself too serious and from the moment "go" knew how big and cool the idea it's working on. Throughout the 2.5 hrs it kept hammering the message till you get numb from the beating and stop feeling anything towards the lead. Arjun seemed always tired. Kareena, now she had the focus of the movie and did enough but became a victim of a poor script. R Balki did better movies and you too had seen better movies (like Abhimaan) than this.
Again, this is nice one line idea but wait for the DVD release (or TV premiere) if you are too keen to watch this. Absolutely not worth going to theater.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Ki and Ka 4/10

An "one line idea" made into a 2.5 hrs of movie. What more than a bore-fest can you expect from this?!

Below comment has important plot spoilers.

The movie starts in a pretentious way.
Kia (Kareena) shouts in her friend's wedding that she thinks her friend's life is now ruined. I mean, even if I agree that none but Kia sees that the girl's life is ruined what is point of shouting at the wedding? What were she doing when she was getting married and couldn't she put some sense into her?!

Anyway, let's move on with the thought that the scene purely exists for the sake of establishing Kia's outlook to her life and the life around her.

Then the big idea is brought on and we see the marriage where Ka (Kabir or Arjun) gets married to Ki and literally wears mangalsutra!!! I fail to understand why was this thing necessary. It's like slapping your face repeatedly with the 'brilliant' idea so that you see it. There are ways to explain the big idea and then there's hammering it into your head.

Then, till intermission nothing happens. I mean nothing interesting or anything that if edited could make the movie less meaningful to you.

Oh yeah something happens though. Ka does the monthly budget to save money for flat purchase. I was disgusted by this.
The maid takes home 10,000/- per month alone and does only dishes and dusting!!! (My Delhi friends [the movie is set in Delhi] please tell me if the part-time bai costs you this much at your place. If found correct then I'll sure never move to Delhi ever.
And after a long thinking and spend cuts he reaches a monthly budget of ........................... 95,000/- per month (note, this is excluding house rent and supposed to be spent on only necessary things). R Balki sure has some weird idea of economy like Karan Johar has about how schools work!!!
Second half started equal boring. And just before climax this movie picks up on a serious note i.e. a forced conflict between the lead pair. This conflict that too resolved with such ease that'll leave you wondering. Only high point of this movie is the cameo of Amitabh Bachhan and Jaya Bachhan.

Verdict: This movie took itself too serious and from the moment "go" knew how big and cool the idea it's working on. Throughout the 2.5 hrs it kept hammering the message till you get numb from the beating and stop feeling anything towards the lead. Arjun seemed always tired. Kareena, now she had the focus of the movie and did enough but became a victim of a poor script. R Balki did better movies and you too had seen better movies (like Abhimaan) than this.
Again, this is nice one line idea but wait for the DVD release (or TV premiere) if you are too keen to watch this. Absolutely not worth going to theater.

^^ I don't review Hindi movies,(unless its ultimate/groundbreaking or SiHt to the core ...lol) but to contradict Rhitwick, this one, I had to ....:D .lol......... I loved Ki n Ka, its breaks all norms and is a very very unorthodox movie, it was evident not many will like it, but trust me guys, young generation, infact mid generation, married couples, even in there 40s should see the movie, yes it delivers one message throughout the movie, but its not boring per se, slow yes but not boring ...... Looks like Rhitwick was more concerned by Balki not getting their BUDGET right in the movie ...:D lol. rather than actually focusing on the intricacies of what , this typical relationship was offering us as a strong message ........................... ..definately its not half as bad as the above review,.... ...:)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Oh come on... sam9s: Even without watching the movie, I can see how terrible, bore fest the movie looks, from the story to acting to actors... all from the trailer. :|

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^^ I don't review Hindi movies,(unless its ultimate/groundbreaking or SiHt to the core ...lol) but to contradict Rhitwick, this one, I had to ....:D .lol......... I loved Ki n Ka, its breaks all norms and is a very very unorthodox movie, it was evident not many will like it, but trust me guys, young generation, infact mid generation, married couples, even in there 40s should see the movie, yes it delivers one message throughout the movie, but its not boring per se, slow yes but not boring ...... Looks like Rhitwick was more concerned by Balki not getting their BUDGET right in the movie ...:D lol. rather than actually focusing on the intricacies of what , this typical relationship was offering us as a strong message ........................... ..definately its not half as bad as the above review,.... ...:)
[MENTION=6966]sam9s[/MENTION] I hate to say it again but I don't watch movies for how cool an idea it's working or how awesome the sound-effects were etc. I need a story, a well told story to keep me engaged throughout the runtime.
And, this movie was offering a new concept, kind of a "how cool would it be?!" thing. BUT, was the one line message enough to make a movie? I guess not. More time should be spent on building a story.

Take a reference of "Vicky Donor". It too had a new concept "Life of a sperm donor in India" but the stakeholders in that movie also wrapped it around with a nice story. Whereas "Ki and Ka" takes the jealousy path which already tried and tested and has such a strong line of movies to compete with.

"Ki and Ka" sure raises questions but shies away from tackling them. Take the pregnancy topic. Solved with false negative. This would have been a new route and a very relevant topic for couple where both husband and wife are working. Irrespective of the role-reversal issue. BUT, Balki had no solution for this problem.
Then take the late night office stints by wife and weekend work issues. He showed a slight fight but no conclusion. These things impact in home dynamics in long run, however understanding your better-half is. Balki had no idea of balancing that too.

This movie says nothing new, does nothing new. Reversed the role and went on usual way with usual problems.
Man working his ass-off and wife taking care of home. While all this time expecting that her husband would appreciate what she's doing or would take part in a few daily activities. Whereas the man weighs the whole thing as who's earning vs who's not.
Balki kept this situation identical but changed only the man-woman equation.

Again repeating myself, "this is nice one line idea but wait for the DVD release (or TV premiere) if you are too keen to watch this. Absolutely not worth going to theater."

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I liked the music. I want to watch it again before commenting, but imo it is not worth going and seeing in the theatre twice.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Oh come on... sam9s: Even without watching the movie, I can see how terrible, bore fest the movie looks, from the story to acting to actors... all from the trailer. :|

Well its not going to win any awards for sure, but boring, well I trust my guts on movies, and I believe, I can see a relatively good product, ki n ka is far from boring, its slow and its does not do anything except to present you one message and one message only. BUT you seriously being naive if you commenting on a product without using it. Trailers usually have been far from what the actual product is, generally its the other way around, trailers are too good but the end product comes boring, but it can be vice versa as well, right...... but none the less in all probability this movie will less be appreciated by bachelor's and collegers, but people who are married, or working professionals ...... anyway ..... sometimes, there comes those movies that I love, and quite a few people I find hate it, like there was this one other movie as well, Jhootha Hi Sahi ..:), I loved but was hated by almost everyone.......Anyway KI n Ka might be one of those ... :). All said and done I still would recommend you to see it when it comes on DVD/TV. We will discuss then how boring was it ... :)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

hmmm. This movie is a bizarre peace offering in the battle of the sexes, that only manages to equally demean men and women.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
[MENTION=6966]sam9s[/MENTION] I hate to say it again but I don't watch movies for how cool an idea it's working or how awesome the sound-effects were etc. I need a story, a well-told story to keep me engaged throughout the runtime.
And, this movie was offering a new concept, kind of a "how cool would it be?!" thing. BUT, was the one line message enough to make a movie? I guess not. More time should be spent on building a story.

Dude ... not to sound rude, but look whos talking, do you think any of SRK movie has any sense or direction or purpose or plot or in fact now a days entertainment as well, they are all bunch of garbage churning out nothing but garbage. I don't see movies for effects,.... God!!!! where did you get that notion ...... I say....... a movie does make a difference how it's viewed, where it's viewed, in which mood it's viewed and with whom it's viewed, all makes a difference, yes small, but it does count and makes a difference. A plot oriented movie, heavy on dialogue like "The Hateful Eight" (recent example) can be easily enjoyed on a regular TV with even mono sound. Did I ever say/asked to view this movie on a grand scale to enjoy it (I did review it). On the other hand movies with grand spectacle, imagery, soundtrack, CGI, vision, cinematography, epic scale music ...etc etc will be ruined, on a regular small screen with stereo sound. Or if ruined sounds too harsh, then at least will not be enjoyed as much as it would have if watched on a proper scale.

Thats my point.

I strongly condemn this notion that I do not watch movies for its plot or screenplay. Find any HINDI movie I have reviewed (barring very very few exceptions) where I have praised, or rated high any usual typical bollywood blockbuster, like you do for SRK or others do for Salman for that matter. Those are all garbage. Movies like ki n ka are at least still off the league and away from the usual masala Turd we keep getting form SRK and Salman and recently from Aamir too with DOOM 3. I appreciate that. As I said it's not groundbreaking or going to win any awards, but it's not half as bad as you make it to be, and same is the reason of me being reviewing it here, else I do not review Hindi movies unless it's a total crap for me or was exceptionally good.

PEOPLE, if you go back and search sam9s with bollywood movie 99% of the movies I have shared either have been exceptional to me or piece of SiHt nothing in between

This movie says nothing new, does nothing new. Reversed the role and went on usual way with usual problems.
Man working his ass-off and wife taking care of home. While all this time expecting that her husband would appreciate what she's doing or would take part in a few daily activities. Whereas the man weighs the whole thing as who's earning vs who's not.
Balki kept this situation identical but changed only the man-woman equation.

THAT was the whole point. Balki did NOT want to show only the problem that might be there coz of the reverse situation, he also wanted to show ... that EVEN THOUGH the situation might be reversed, the basic problem and ground reality of a working couple professional more or less remains same........ getting it .....and that is what couples should learn ......... its not who works and who takes care of the house that is imp, but how a couple balances things and how the true affection betweeen them makes a real difference,,, .... irrespective of who is the working lead and who is the house maker ..... I loved that approach.......

Again definitely not something award winning or groundbreaking but far from boring or worthless .....

- - - Updated - - -

hmmm. This movie is a bizarre peace offering in the battle of the sexes, that only manages to equally demean men and women.

Its bizarre, but in a perplexing manner, with a tone one should have the tenacity to appreciate ..... Not many will do ......

ajayritik

Technomancer
Dude ... not to sound rude, but look whos talking, do you think any of SRK movie has any sense or direction or purpose or plot or in fact now a days entertainment as well, they are all bunch of garbage churning out nothing but garbage

Find any HINDI movie I have reviewed (barring very very few exceptions) where I have praised, or rated high any usual typical bollywood blockbuster, like you do for SRK or others do for Salman for that matter. Those are all garbage. Movies like ki n ka are at least still off the league and away from the usual masala Turd we keep getting form SRK and Salman and recently from Aamir too with DOOM 3. I appreciate that.

Interesting observations sam. I concur with your statements in the bold part.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I would want to show this movie to all my friend's and cousin's parents and grandparents

it is the start of a good conversation, but not a good conversation in itself

Top Bottom