Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Taxi Driver (1976) - IMDb

I did not get the reason behind giving this movie tons of rating?!!! Boring and lengthy...may be I was waiting for a quick fix as a movie but I sure was not in a mood for "Taxi Driver"

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933) - IMDb 7/10

A Fritz Lang movie. Well, not upto the mark of "M" but a good watch though. Has some great acting and a good storyline.

The anarchy concept is sure followed in some movies.

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
WELCOME WELCOME ........ welcome back, good to see you hare Ethan, so whats up ....... why such a long break.....I also saw a couple of decent movies recently, check out the last 10 pages to get what happened latest ... :) .......
Hola Sam! How's it going? It's good to be back into this thread. I guess the break was needed to focus on a few other things. I was watching movies, but it was quite ON & OFF. So lost touch of posting in this thread. Although, it's very good to see that you, rhitwick, Faun, a_medico (I see he still hasn't changed his avatar ;-)) and all the others have kept this thread alive and kicking. I'll have to run through the other pages to get a quick re-cap though.

BTW why don't you create a list for 'Most awaited movies for 2011' thread or something like that? It would be good to see another thread out of this one. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Great Scott! Such a thread existed since almost 3 Years, and I never came to know until today!
This thread must now be a "Holy Grail" of Awesome movies!

So here goes my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE, (sorry if its already posted)..

Movie: Back to the Future
Language: English (Originally, but available in Hindi too)
Genre: Sci-Fi | Adventure
IMDB Rating: 8.4 (!!!)
Theme: Time Travel

BTTF is a trilogy, that redefined a generation! (At least it redefined me ;)

Rahim

Married!
^You found the road!!!! :D

Platoon: A real depection of what war really is and unlike other War Heroic stuff.....

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Inland Empire - Completely went over the top. I still enjoyed it though. Didn't imdb as I was in Chennai. Had a feeling like I am watching (Triangle+Spider Forest) x 10(Brainfcuk)

It was way too much to handle. Don't know why I still appreciate such movies. Loved one song (the slower one..will search it soon). (Edited - Song is 'Polish Poem' by Chrysta Bell & David Lynch - Didn't know he is a music composer too!)

a_medico (I see he still hasn't changed his avatar ;-))

I want to. I am still waiting for a suitable replacement!
Welcome back. Nice to see you again. :)

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Speaking of mind-f*ck, you need to watch Martyrs (if you haven't already). French directors really know how to make gut-wrenching gore movies. The plot for this movie is absolutely weird and idiotic. But the hard hitting performances are something to watch out for.

Also saw Orphan last night and it turned out to be awesome. Just the thing I was looking for to get my thriller ball rolling at night. Isabelle Fuhrman pulled off a kick-ass performance. The twist towards the end was unexpected. Must watch for sure.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
^^ Orphan was good.

I had seen Martyrs after recommendation from this forum. Strangely, I hardly recall it. Maybe I'll watch it again.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Speaking of mind-f*ck, you need to watch Martyrs (if you haven't already). French directors really know how to make gut-wrenching gore movies. The plot for this movie is absolutely weird and idiotic. But the hard hitting performances are something to watch out for.

Martyrs is not exacltly in mind-f catergory.

I had seen Martyrs after recommendation from this forum. Strangely, I hardly recall it. Maybe I'll watch it again.

You might have got this recc along with Inside movie.

Last edited:

R2K

In the Zone
Great Scott! Such a thread existed since almost 3 Years, and I never came to know until today!
This thread must now be a "Holy Grail" of Awesome movies!

So here goes my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE, (sorry if its already posted)..

Movie: Back to the Future
Language: English (Originally, but available in Hindi too)
Genre: Sci-Fi | Adventure
IMDB Rating: 8.4 (!!!)
Theme: Time Travel

BTTF is a trilogy, that redefined a generation! (At least it redefined me ;)

dude....that movie is almost 25 years old....
anyway whats so special in that movie that redefined you

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Now I am thinking what I watched was Frontier(s) and not Martyrs. :D

I guess I will give Martyrs a try after watching few normal movies. But seriously, Inland Empire was a bit too much to handle. Loving the song Polish Poem by Chrysta Bell and David Lynch.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
dude....that movie is almost 25 years old....
anyway whats so special in that movie that redefined you

That question itself means, that there is no point explaining you ..... :)
Back to the future is a classic, pls dont insult it by judging it by its age .....

First of all, thanks to Sam for backing BTTF. But I really believe, R2K hadn't even watched it and honestly trying to know what is in BTTF, that redefines me.
So I would give it a try.

Theme & Genre:
The first thing which strikes me in BTTF is the theme, which is by far the most puzzled idea ever conceived by human mind - "Time Travel". Every true science fiction fan (or for anybody for that matter) have always wondered, if he could change the past. What if he could visit the past and see what was it like to meet your parents when they were your age?
Its a truly wonderful idea, and with all its anomalies and paradoxes, still never fails to amaze the audience with the possibilities.
In Particular, BTTF cant be put into just one Genre. Due to Time travel, its Sci-Fi, but its comedy, Romantic, as well as, a thriller, with many hair raising experience. The beauty of BTTF is the combination of all these genre with an awesome fusion, without overdoing anything.

Story:
The most important thing for a movie after the theme is its story. And it hasn't been compromised. BTTF part 1 has an exceptional story line, which only becomes more interesting in subsequent parts. Because of the time travel theme, you get to again witness a plot in part 2, that already had been happened in part1, which is why time travel is interesting, in the first place. (Even writing about it now, is giving me goosebumps.)

Effects:
Imagine at a time sans GUI OS, how can you imagine the creation of a 3D holographic shark coming out at you, or a flying hover board, or a flying De-Lorean in the midst of air traffic... I could go on, bt you got the point..

Music:
Dont even get me start on this. But I want to :)wink:). The music is nothing short of epic. The grand nature of music, just compliment the grand nature of the plots. Romantic song, "Power of Love", a more superb romantic song "Earth Angel", the groovy "Back In Time".. and then the BTTF score by, the Outatime Orchestra, makes me feel like I am a part of something big, a part of the movie itself.

Conclusion:
Well, everyone have a different taste, but I am talking about the movie, who have a fan base of more than half a million on a facebook page alone. A movie which has been released on Blue Ray on its 25th Anniversary, along with re-release in select theaters, and a movie which has been selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.
A movie which is timeless, which never gets old, no matter how many times you see it, that is, you had to had a taste in Sci-Fi though.

And to say, its just a movie which is "25" yrs old! For some, its more than a movie, its a genre in itself.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
TAKEN - 8/10...a very very good movie of father & daughter......
SALT - 7.5/10 performance of angelina is excellent...& nice plot
Kick-Ass - 6.5/10...its a ok movie but not excellent.....

Next on the list is: The Expendables & Shrek 4

abhidev

Human Spambot
TAKEN - 8/10...a very very good movie of father & daughter......
SALT - 7.5/10 performance of angelina is excellent...& nice plot
Kick-Ass - 6.5/10...its a ok movie but not excellent.....

Next on the list is: The Expendables & Shrek 4

I told you you'll love 'Taken'....well watched Rock-n-Rolla...awesome movie...loved it....must watch

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@sam9s: kick-Ass has teens in it....the main protagonist itself is teen studying in college..
& its based on how a boy wants to be superhero..which is a geek Btw...& the main credit goes to the little girl.....the story is based on how the girl & his father want to take revenge for the sufferings caused 2 them......the boy is seemed to b like a supportive actor in the plot....and @last kills the main villian with a Bazooka.....

hot zubs

live life king like...
Saw 3D (2010) - 7/10
Finally a 6 yr old thrill comes to an end

The Departed (2006) - 9/10
truly an awesome thriller movie, its a must watch...

a_medico

Chillum Baba
The last exorcism - It's the mix of Paranormal Activity and The exorcism of Emily Rose. Have some really scary moments. Slow start like PA but gripping later. The end is a bit letdown as compared to Emily Rose.

Top Bottom