Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Heroes season1 was good, no questions asked. It was my first US TV series and it falls in my genre of movies. Sci-fi, magic, superpowers etc. But the more I was watching it, started finding usual mega-soap elements.
>Introducing one new character in every episode
>Family secrets
>Extra marital affairs
>Troubled daughter
>Helpless mom
>few villains

and what not. Just for one moment forget the super-power thing from all characters and see what is left.
ONly one thing that kept me coming back to it was "HIRO NAKAMURA", loved the character very much.

And u did take a very good decision of not watching rest of the seasons, because they suck. Just imagine Sylar doing good deeds and Peter doing bad. Its like all villains turned good and all heroes turned bad.

mmmm I wonder why its popularity reduced drastically after 1st season. I was reading online, people have reviewed season 4 pretty good. Anyway after 1 I was like dying to see the remaining season, which anyhow I will, out of curiosity, but yea now my expectations are low (may be for good).
Yea HIRO's character was cool ...... "Flying Man" ... lol His powers were also one of the most usefull one......

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Battle Royale :- 7/10

Wicked movie. The whole concept of pitting students against each other in a deadly game is evil in itself. Stellar movie! Thanks Sam9s!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
At last finished House MD. Its like I gulped it. All six seasons (avg. 140 episodes in less than one month :-D )

House is a complete package to anyone who loves mystery, tongue-in-cheek comedy, witty one liners and lots of brain, emotion, drama etc.

Yes, yes I got, it has most of the characteristics of any mega-soap but I bet no such serial is there which keeps u glued to it like this.

If I rate,
Season 1 9/10 (Special Three stories and last episode)
Season 2 9.3/10 (Euphoria)
Season 3 8.8/10 (House vs. police thing)
Season 4 9.5/10 (Till episode 22 its like 8/10, then last two episodes took the prize, they are just awesome)
Season 5 9.5/10 (Old House back but twists at the end)
Season 6 8/10 (Things seemed disoriented, no proper storyline followed, last two episodes are gr8 but doesn't compensate the stale taste of the whole session. Still once a House fan, always a House fan)

And I just can't but shout the name Hugh Laurie, he's the life line of this show, he's even the one and only reason one should this series. Take a bow Hugh, u deserve it.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Wolf Creek .... Man man man what an ultimate thriller ride......people who are interested in Survival thrillers, much like Dead Calm and Cape Fear DO NOT miss this one, specially as this one is based on True events.....I was on the edge of my seat through out. One of the best survial thrillers I have seen.......7/10

++1..thanks sam for reco..just saw it...good movie...must watch ! based on true events ! :p

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Wicked movie. The whole concept of pitting students against each other in a deadly game is evil in itself. Stellar movie! Thanks Sam9s!

so the kiddie is back ..where you have been boy ??? exams ? or busy in making ur own black metal band :cool:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
++1..thanks sam for reco..just saw it...good movie...must watch ! based on true events ! :p

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

so the kiddie is back ..where you have been boy ??? exams ? or busy in making ur own black metal band :cool:

Exams don't bother me at all... I was here... wasn't posting... started posting again :D

dreams

Gracias Senor
any body watched raavanan or raavan??

Think the hindi version is a bomb at the BO and hit in the tamil version.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
THE HOST 9.5/ 10 : One of the best Monster films I have ever seen. Probably my favorite Second Korean movie after Oldboy!

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Read my take on it in the previous page :lol:

And mine too :D

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

Most welcome sumit :)

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Most welcome Psychosocial

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Heroes season1 was good, no questions asked. It was my first US TV series and it falls in my genre of movies. Sci-fi, magic, superpowers etc. But the more I was watching it, started finding usual mega-soap elements.
>Introducing one new character in every episode
>Family secrets
>Extra marital affairs
>Troubled daughter
>Helpless mom
>few villains

and what not. Just for one moment forget the super-power thing from all characters and see what is left.
ONly one thing that kept me coming back to it was "HIRO NAKAMURA", loved the character very much.

And u did take a very good decision of not watching rest of the seasons, because they suck. Just imagine Sylar doing good deeds and Peter doing bad. Its like all villains turned good and all heroes turned bad.

Heroes season 1 was good , season 2 is short , just few episodes but fine . But from season 3 onwards i stopped watching it . They started introducing people with insane powers hard to imagine and it started to drag a little , also the bad guys from previous seasons started becoming good and vice versa which i didnt like .
Anyway do u know that Sony India had stared an Indian version of Heroes :grin: , i forgot the show's name .

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
also the bad guys from previous seasons started becoming good and vice versa which i didnt like .
Same here.
Anyway do u know that Sony India had stared an Indian version of Heroes :grin: , i forgot the show's name .
Its Seven from Yashraj banner.

Well Done Abba 7.8/10

After a long time a light hearted comedy. Very much enjoyed it.

Shyam Benegal once again tried to bring the magic of "Welcome to Sajjanpur" on screen but stopped a few steps before reaching its level. I think suddenly Shyam Benegal is keen to deliver his messages in a black comedy and simple way, I like this way. Movies that everyone can understand.

In this movie too we find his subtle ways to entertain you, reach you the message without overdoing it. But only thing lags here is the pace of the movie, seemed very slow and ending could have been edited. A bit clichéd and poetic justice type ending, which obviously sound good in books/script but not when made into a movie.

In all, a gr8 light hearted comedy, you will obviously enjoy and laugh your heart out.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

One thing, specially mentionable is Ila Arun, she is amazing. Whenever she is on screen, she just captures the attention of the viewer.

And I think Minisha Lamba has done a lip job :-D ;-)

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Hey guyz, asking all the movie buffs here, suggest me some good flicks, no action/sci-fi but some "feel good" kinda movie which i can watch without stretching my mind and enjoy my holidays....... ;)

And if its rom-com, plz do mention that !! Cheers.... :)

Btw, watched Raavan last weekend -- 6/10
Good : Cinematography, the scenic beauty of South India, baarish all the time and abhi's chhika chhika :D
Bad : Rest

And just finished,
Hot Fuzz - 6.5/10
Nothing special......a comic thriller ? may be !!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
guys.. i want some good hindi movie recommendations?

Oh which genre? U need to be specific, u know?

Anatomy of a murder 9.2/10

WOW!!! Amazing movie.

These old gems always mesmerize me. A perfect and may be the best courtroom drama I've ever seen. Theme is somewhat similar (I say somewhat not total) to 12 Angry Men but never tries to imitate it.
"Anatomy of a murder" has its own presence.

Let me tell you the concept in short. An woman is raped, her husband has killed the rapist and now our lawyer "*www.imdb.com/character/ch0018010/Paul Biegler" has the task of proving the convict innocent. The rest is history and would keep you glued to the screen.

When the movie starts and the facts are laid in front of you, any layman can say its a open and shut case; the convict is sure to get a lifer or death sentence. But, how Paul plays with the facts is what to be seen.

From starting the movie has those conventional starts, ummm...like u read in detective books...someone comes to the detective with a case, he sits and listens to it. I just very much loved this approach. Gave me a feeling of reading a book. This kind of approach is rare (non-existent) in recent times.

Performance wise everyone involved played his part so well that I just can't name any particular individual. Though would like to specially mention James Stewart as Paul and Lee Remick as Laura.
I'm already fan of James Stewart from the movies "Its a wonderful life" and "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" and this one also adds to the list. (If anyone of you have seen any other such brilliant movies of him do recommend.) Stewart just lives in the character in this movie.

And, Lee Remick has successfully portrayed the character of a dubious woman. Just watch the movie to understand what I mean.

In the end, the movie has given me a very satisfying feeling, it felt complete though incomplete. So many questions are unanswered, stories touched but never concluded that I love the movie even more.

If anyone of you have seen this movie, I've these questions,

~~~~~~~~Spoiler~~~~~~~~~
1>I just don't believe the story Laura told as her being raped. The story has so many loopholes. I'm damn sure she was not raped or the rape was done with her consent.
2>The way she behaves throughout the movie she seemed to me having some other master plan, always acting too dumb yet smart questions and answers, sultry approach. Her character was represented as a very mysterious way. Why?
3>Has Mr. Manion really killed Barney? It seemed to me he has not....
4>What's the story with Paquette? His full story was not revealed.

~~~~~~Spoiler End~~~~~~~~~

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Watched 'Top Gun' yesterday after a long time. It is a good movie. I liked it more than when I watched it the first time. Old is gold! Great acting by Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer.

Top Bottom