Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance 9.5/10

Oh, what a movie, W H A T a movie!!!!!!!!!

Awesome!!! I somehow liked it more than Oldboy. Oldboy was complex, its brutal!

At climax, everytime I thought this is the max, it proved me wrong.

Not at all recommended to weak hearted people.

@T, thanx. Next "Sympathy For Mr Vengeance"

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Sympathy For Mr Vengeance 9/10

This is a very tough movie.
Well, in a movie there are good and bad and then there are you. You are supposed to take someone's side.
But this movie very much questions this method. What everyone is same bad. Commits same sins? whose side will u take?

Gr8 concept, very good acting.

Asian movies FTW!!!

Krow

Crowman
^+1

Ghost in a Shell [1995] - 9/10
For all fans of Blade Runner, amazingly beautiful anime sci-fi classic. A must-watch!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The Black Dahlia 5/10

When I was a kid, may be in class V or VI, I read this story. It was a unsolved murder mystery.

Then I found there is a movie on the story too. Had high hopes but it not only disappointed me but bored me to death. Two hour long movie where the murder mystery is 2nd or 3rd important point of the movie.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
The last house on the left- Same old story. One twisted psycho murderer family etc etc. Has one gore rape scene which reminded me of the one in Irreversible.

The haunting in Connecticut - An average horror movie. Not bad but nothing great.

In the loop - A very weird British humor. Set in the offices of top govt officials in UK and US. This one is for the limited people who love British humor. I loved it.

Techn0crat

RPG FTW!!!
13 Tzameti - French-Georgian Movie
Snatch
10 Things I hate about you
Madagascar 1&2 for superb dialogues like this-
I like them. I liked them first.Before I even met them I liked them.

fieldgunner

Broken In
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance 9.5/10

Oh, what a movie, W H A T a movie!!!!!!!!!

Awesome!!!

With praise like that, I had to see it. Unfortunately...

Grossly overrated imho.
I'd give it a 5 or 6...and if i was simpoo, i'd call their parentzzz...

pros: well acted, visually well composed, also script and editing wise very reminiscent of Tarantino.

cons: ultimately, the plot goes nowhere. the much praised 'climax' is too long drawn out and betrays the potential of the storyline. One expects a clever twist or a profound emotional impact at the end but it never comes...story elements are loosely tied together, unanswered questions remain.

Overall...disappointing. Avoid it. The only good that came of this movie was that now I wont be wasting time on the other two in the trilogy...

Cheers.

Last edited:

fieldgunner

Broken In
I'm surprised this one hasnt made it here yet...

The Hurt Locker 9/10 and I deduct a point only because nobody's perfect...and of course a subtle pro-US bias.

Other than that, imho, war movies dont come better than this. In my book, this is in the same league as Apocalypse Now and Platoon which I think are the best war movies ever made...

a_medico

Chillum Baba

Grossly overrated imho.
I'd give it a 5 or 6...

I second it. When I saw it some 7-8 mons back, I had similar opinion. Maybe my expectations were too high. I don't even remember it much. The only thing I remember is that it was average stuff for me.

Same with other two, though Oldboy is worth a watch once. It was too much for me though personally. I couldn't digest few scenes.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth

Grossly overrated imho.
I'd give it a 5 or 6...and if i was simpoo, i'd call their parentzzz...

pros: well acted, visually well composed, also script and editing wise very reminiscent of Tarantino.

cons: ultimately, the plot goes nowhere. the much praised 'climax' is too long drawn out and betrays the potential of the storyline. One expects a clever twist or a profound emotional impact at the end but it never comes...story elements are loosely tied together, unanswered questions remain.

Overall...disappointing. Avoid it. The only good that came of this movie was that now I wont be wasting time on the other two in the trilogy...

Cheers.
Well, here comes what a_medico calls personal point of view.
Agreed that story wise its very simple. But the torture level shown in this movie are totally awesome. It never goes to gross level but that way to torture someone mentally is exciting. I would recommend u watching "Funny Games". It also lacks a good script but u would get to know that there stands such a genre.

I saw that u expected a few twists and profound emotional impact.
Well, this movie never promised such things. It from the beginning shows that what u r going to watch is consequence of some act done before. And obviously forget emotion:grin: (if u expect emotion, don't watch Oldboy too, it may shake ur emo level very much)

And, plz, don't avoid Oldboy, u'll just miss a whole new level of movie experience. I promise that.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Kaminey 7/10

*************** Following comments can contain spoilers ****************

(Sorry can't give more than that)

Well, let me tell u how I find this movie.
Take a Priyadarshan movie, ummmm....Hungama?!!(are....that Aftab, Akshyay, Rimi sen movie). Now remove those awesome funny moments. Add more guns, Coke, underworld, betting, dirty politics means pretty much each and every so-called BAD things in society. And leave everything as it is.
You get Kaminey!!!

Story-screenplay can be faintly compared to "Running Scared". Lots of random characters gets involved in the journey in this movie within a span of 24 hours.

Acting: Shahid Kapoor very good, Brilliant.
Priyanka: Good. Couldn't match Shahid's level.
Amol Gupte: He is a discovery of this movie! I would rate him as brilliant as Shahid in this movie.

Directing: Good
Editing: Very good job
Camera work: Very good Job

+ It asks ur brain to understand this movie. This is only because of the speed of this movie, u won't get much time to get over from the facts of the previous scene and u'll shown a totally new scene. So, u need to remember things shown in 2-3 scenes ago. New in a hindi movie, eh? :)

+ Shahid Kapoor and Amol Gupte.
+ (Very subtle) But try to count how many brothers u see in this movie:grin:

- The story! Well, if u try to find the story, u'll be disappointed.
- A few un-necessary scenes, which does not add anything to the story. A few scenes are forced explanation. Means u won't have any problem if u don't know the flashback.
- End! Charlie!!!??? How? "Bas aise hi", is it the answer?

Two questions to those who have already seen:-
1> Who killed Bope's henchmen at Charlie's place when both Guddu and Charlie was fighting?
2> How did the bengali brothers came to know where Bhope is?

Top Bottom