Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Just came back from Battle for Los Angeles. Well it turned out to be a good pop-corn flick. It was miles better than Skyline, which was a complete pile of horse poop. The whole alien invading thing gets a bit boring, but the action, sound effects and acting was really good. The shaky cam was a negative point. Got a bit dramatic, but didn't really hamper the pacing. I'd love to see a sequel with a bit more action and gruesome kills.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Here's something for you guys.

Blacula (1972) - IMDb

I've not seen the movie but the name just made me LOL.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Vampyr 7.5/10

Though the name of the movie explains what it is about, what it does not tell is how it is different from other vampire movies.

A confusing storyline with unexplained scenes, may be Lynch was inspired by "Carl Theodor Dreyer" (the director). I could not get few scenes of the movie.

The print I got was very rugged and rusty, video and voice quality was very bad. Still a different watch.

---------- Post added 13-03-2011 at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-03-2011 at 10:48 PM ----------

The Hudsucker Proxy 7/10

A good satire, holds a lot of symbolism throughout the movie. Good watch.

Salt 7/10

Good thriller with good action. Having Jolie as lead the movie gets extra attention, and Jolie never lets you down.

Its way better than "Knight and Day" by Tom Cruise released at the same time :x

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Confessions (8.5-.5)=8/10

Runtime: 106 mins

First the plot from IMDB
A psychological thriller of a grieving mother turned cold-blooded avenger with a twisty master plan to pay back those who were responsible for her daughter's death.

Now my take on it.

After a long time saw a great psychological drama (I would not like to call it thriller though most people would ). Almost took me to the level of "Sympathy for lady vengeance".
Point to note (a small harmless spoiler I guess)
The movie is named Confessions not Confession. So it includes confessions made by key characters of the movie.

The movie started slowly and starts unfolding. You have already read the plot summary so you know what is going to happen, how its gonna happen is your question now. Slowly but expectedly the twist comes, you are satisfied with the outcome, a black screen comes, you think the movie ends.
Here the actual movie starts.

The movie tends to slow down in the middle, at times I was regretting why I chose it to watch BUT the climax just blew me away. I was watching the movie while lying on bed and last 30 mins I was sitting upright on my bed transfixed to the happenings on screen!!!

Complains:-
>Why shaky cams?
>Why over use of slow-mo filming? (I can understand using slow-mo for specific scenes but a whole movie?!!!)
>Length

Request to all : Whoever posts a movie name, please mention at least the runtime. So that we can select movies according to time we want to invest.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
A Sebian Film.

By far the sickest movie I've ever seen or probably been made.Cannibal holocaust,Salo, August Underground's Mordum etc doesn't even come close to this.
What makes it sickest is the fact that it is well shot like a feature film, not like a cheap handheldcam movie or documentary, but has some of the most disgusting scenes that surpasses anyone's imagination.

Do not watch it unless you really have a stomach for all this kinda stuff. I'm still disgusted and regretting ever watching it , and I watched Cannibal Holocaust or Salo without getting disgusted much.

Neuron

Electronic.
Black Swan - 8.3

I've always loved psychological themes.The best part for me was the mild horror it inflicted.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys please suggest some movies which will look great in HD or Blu Ray.

Guys any more suggestions apart from the ones already given and also what kind of rip size or video resolution I should look for when I'm trying to watch the movies on the LCD player.
Mine is 21.5 " Dell newly bought just in case some guys don't know.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Guys any more suggestions apart from the ones already given and also what kind of rip size or video resolution I should look for when I'm trying to watch the movies on the LCD player.
Mine is 21.5 " Dell newly bought just in case some guys don't know.

2012,ICE Age Series :grin:

look for resoultion 720p or above...

Tenida

Gadget Freak
JIM CARREY's- 1) Dumb and Dumber
2)Ace Ventura - Pet Detective
3)Liar Liar
4)Yes Man
5)The Truman Show
6)Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Has anyone seen any posters of Sucker Punch in their cinemas? According to IMDB, it's supposed to release on the 25th of this month in India. I couldn't spot any hoardings or any sort of ad in the newspaper for it, so am a bit confused, if it's indeed releasing on that date. Really waiting for this movie to release.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
@Ethan_Hunt: But you can see advertisements (in hindi dubbing which sucks more than anything) on most of the channels. I do not think there would be much to watch except lot of action and fictional characters

Top Bottom