Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

abhidev

Human Spambot
Battle : L.A ..... well to start and cut off the suspense, I enjoyed this movie throughout. There are criticisms about poor story,predictable screenplay.... same old "why only US" garbage and blah, blah .... but for me I suspend my belief to an extent to have ans to most of the critic cry............ for example ....Why only U.S ....who cares, may be because the Alien species thought US is the world's biggest power so lets start from there anyway ............ Battlefiels L.A strictly is shown from U.S marines perspective........, sticks with it and sticks well. Why, how, where questions about the aliens are unanswered and that for me works for the movie, you just concentrate on a group of marines trying to save a group of civilians and ofcourse themselves as well..... ........ Characters have enough depth to be cared and rooted for ..... story is simple......... to save the innocent (isnt that always the objective) and last but not the least exhilarating battle sequences shot with perfect editing and the shaky camera gives the movie its authentic feel and genuine pace. Add to that..... top notch special effects, and you got yourself a pretty decent flick ....... yea there are things that are repetitive and clichéd but then, its expected from the is kind of cinema .......... none the less not a District 9 by any means but not a skyline either ...... I will give this 6.5/10

Hey the story seems to be the same....but then is it worth watching in a theatre...i mean the action sequences...are they worth while....coz i liked the trailor....???

R2K

In the Zone
Why not? Have you not seen Neo doing this? :D

Did u watch "Eurotrip"?

But Rajani Kanth is older than Neo's Father:grin:..i guess

And yeah i have watched EuroTrip..It is like a gem in teen comedy movies..:smile:
Any other movies similar to this?
BTW did they release the DVD of Hall Pass(2011) yet...(i think its not available with my usual sources:grin:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Grave of the Fireflies (1988) - The Most Human Cartoon You'll Ever See. Grave of the Fireflies can be grueling - but infinitely more rewarding.An emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
The Lovely Bones. I have seen more than 100 heart touchy films, but this one? Well I got almost teared up.

Just couldn't take the finish how that id!ot died.

The Lovely Bones (2009) - IMDb

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Best Animation film as per my view :-

1) Spirited Away-(8.6/10) In the middle of her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and monsters; where humans are changed into animals; and a bathhouse for these creatures.

2)Grave of the Fireflies-(8.3/10)- A tragic film covering a young boy and his little sister's struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.

3) Wall E- (8.5/10)- In the distant future, a small waste collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.

4) UP-(8.4/10) By tying thousands of balloon to his home, 78-year-old Carl Fredricksen sets out to fulfill his lifelong dream to see the wilds of South America. Right after lifting off, however, he learns he isn't alone on his journey, since Russell, a wilderness explorer 70 years his junior, has inadvertently become a stowaway on the trip.

5) Finding Nemo- (8.2/10) A father-son underwater adventure featuring Nemo, a boy clownfish, stolen from his coral reef home. His timid father must then travel to Sydney and search Sydney Harbour to find Nemo.

6) Coraline- (7.8/10) An adventurous girl finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets.

7) Kung Fu Panda- (7.7/10) In the Valley of Peace, Po the Panda finds himself chosen as the Dragon Warrior despite the fact that he is obese and a complete novice at martial arts.

8) Astro Boy- (6.4/10) Set in futuristic Metro City, Astro Boy is about a young robot with incredible powers created by a brilliant scientist in the image of the son he has lost.Though the rating was not good but film is better than the rating believe me.
Link- Astro Boy (2009) - IMDb

9) Ratatouille- (8.1/10) Remy is a young rat in the French countryside who arrives in Paris, only to find out that his cooking idol is dead. When he makes an unusual alliance with a restaurant's new garbage boy, the culinary and personal adventures begin despite Remy's family's skepticism and the rat-hating world of humans.

10) Cars- (7.4/10) A hot-shot race-car named Lightning McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family.

11)Mary and Max (8.2/10) A tale of friendship between two unlikely pen pals: Mary, a lonely, eight-year-old girl living in the suburbs of Melbourne, and Max, a forty-four-year old, severely obese man living in New York. (Thanks to sam9s for suggesting such a great movie)

12) How to Train Your Dragon- (8.2/10) A hapless young Viking who aspires to hunt dragons becomes the unlikely friend of a young dragon himself, and learns there may be more to the creatures than he assumed.

13) Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron- (6.6/10) As a wild stallion travels across the frontiers of the Old West, he befriends a young human and finds true love with a mare.
Link- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002) - IMDb

14) Chicken Run- (7.3/10) Chicken Run is a comedy escape drama with a touch of passion set on a sinister Yorks chicken farm in 1950's England

15)Despicable Me- (7.5/10) When a criminal mastermind uses a trio of orphan girls as pawns for a grand scheme, he finds himself profoundly changed by the growing love between them.

16) Monsters vs Aliens- (6.7/10) When a meteorite from outer space hits a young woman and turns her into a giant monster, she is taken to a secret government compound where she meets a ragtag group of monsters also rounded up over the years.

17) Megamind- (7.3/10) The supervillain Megamind finally conquers his nemesis, the hero Metro Man... but finds his life pointless without a hero to fight.

18) Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs- (7.1/10) The most delicious event since macaroni met cheese. Inspired by the beloved children's book, the film focuses on a town where food falls from the sky like rain.

19)Pinocchio (1940)- (7.7/10) A living puppet, with the help of a cricket as his conscience, must prove himself worthy to become a real boy.

20) The Princess and the Frog - (7.3/10) A fairy tale set in Jazz Age-era New Orleans and centered on a young girl named Tiana and her fateful kiss with a frog prince who desperately wants to be human again.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Black Swan 7.5/10

First of all I did not understand this movie. Natalie Portman obviously did a remarkable performance in this movie but was that really Oscar level performance?

Plot as I understood, a ballet dancer gets the role of her life i.e. to portray White Swan and Black Swan. She is perfect in White Swan role but lacks the seductiveness and passion for Black Swan. This creates an enormous mental pressure to her and changes her personality. Rest is to see who has not seen.

I have few questions about this movie (heavy spoilers, so enter at your own risk)

1. Does Natalie Portman talk like that in real life too or in other films? So tender, fragile and weak
2. She is shown having scratches even b4 she gets the role. So can I say that the Black Swan role did not do this to her?
3. Her mother said once she had this habit of scratching herself long back. So that is not a sudden mental disbalance.
4. She says she does not have boyfriends. Should I derive anything from this too. How could she not have a boyfriend?
5. I understand she hallucinated the whole lesbian sex and murder scene. For the sex scene she was under drug influence but did she take the drug before the performance?
6. What the hell was this movie about.
7. There can be only one Lynch.

Top Bottom