Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
^^ peace man :D

if you want to apply logic to this movie.. then seriously its a waste of time, some scenes are way over the top...

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
3 Idiots 6.5/10

Rating it more than that is an insult to other good movies.

Warning: If u've read the book which it claims to be inspired of, u'll be highly disappointed. The movie is so much diff. than book.

Angst: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could not find a single line giving credits to Chetan Bhagat for the idea at least.

(Well, I've seen the movie Friday itself but was waiting for one bad review as I don't want to be branded as one who always goes against something that everyone loves. Now, as ratedsuperstar posted, I'm also daring to put my opinion)

Question: Remember Taare Zamin Par? Now take Ishan Awasti from it, make him older enough to get into a college and make Amir Khan play the character, what do u get?? We get Taare Zamin Par-2 or 3 Idiots.

This movie is a mix of Munnabhai MBBS (as pointed out by ratedsuperstar) and Taare Zamin Par (Painting vs. Photography; as if there is only one creative work in this world). Even the dialogs sound similar to Taare Zamin Par. I ask, what is the point in shouting same issue over and over, what is the point in proving same point everyday (no, seriously look outside: one ad on child plan, it encourages ur child to be what he/she wants to be; every 1-2 weeks a column in paper on education, 1-2 movies every year...we are overboard with the info)
Let me tell u, 3-Idiots has nothing new to deliver. This movie wanted to be in Munnabhai league but failed miserably. It lacks the fine tuning, light hearted situational comedy with subtle strong points. It lacks all Raju Hirani/VC effects.

Yes, there are a few good comic scenes (the lecture is good but just drags and after a moment I was getting irritated by over-using of the words "balatkar" and "stan")

And what should I talk about the screenplay, bakwas and weak, even most Imran Hasmi/Harman Baweja movies has good integrated script than this.

Acting: Sharman Joshi is mentionable, Amir did overact, yes, I say it, just watch the scene when the din drags him from his office to a classroom he acts like something funny is going on, scratches his head, a very loose body language and not at all matching to what a student might feel if he is dragged through corridor by the din of a very renowned college of India.
Amir just fails to portray a student.

I can go on and on about its stupid loopholes, but lets stop here.
Last but not the least u have to bear some good but misplaced songs throughout the movie.

Reading this far one can tell I hated this movie, then why is it in must watch section?
1>U will get some good laughs a few good scenes
2>A good but repetitive theme
3>A feel good effect
4>Amir's only movie in this year (for Amir fans)

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
@rhitwick you are right.the movie is watchable for those who have always accepted movies that have played here in Indian theatres.i really think aamir khan is trying to use the same one yearly film like clint eastwood.At which both of them are apparently failing to make epic films.

if someone is forcing you to watch a movie then this is as good as you will get,atleast such that the other person is entertained.but i see no reason for anyone else to not dig the movies recommended in this thread and waste your money and time on this.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPOILER ALERT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=MMIR/2009/12/28/28/Img/Ar0280001.png
*epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=MMIR/2009/12/28/29/Img/Ar0290000.png

Source: Mumbai Mirror, 28th December, 2009

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Gawd guys!! It was a pretty good movie. It was a comedy movie and you cant expect a movie to have a great stand-off with reality. there were loopholes all right, fantastical stuff. But then ther were moments which did pull some string. The hangover was also a nonsense comedy but i dint see anyone talking about loopholes there.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Gawd guys!! It was a pretty good movie. It was a comedy movie and you cant expect a movie to have a great stand-off with reality. there were loopholes all right, fantastical stuff. But then ther were moments which did pull some string. The hangover was also a nonsense comedy but i dint see anyone talking about loopholes there.
Maybe I'm reacting too much, but its not a David Dhawan comedy right?!!

It comes from Vidhu Binod Chopra/Raju Hirani combination who has given us such comedy gems, then there adds Amir (Mr. Perfectionist) shouldn't we expect a bit sense and tidiness from it.

If this movie is great then Om Shanti Om is hit of the decade :p

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
I really dont know how you can compare 3 idiots and om shanti Om.One is a movie with its root fixed to the ground while the other is a pack of ****. I did not say the movie is great, but its a heartwarming movie with actual laughs which most Bollywood producers try to force out of you.the speech scene was simply hilarious. If you want to see a movie with a message watch Paa or gulaal, coz this movie is obviously not meant for you, Hirani or not.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Dude, Where's my car? - EPIC! I loved it. Every damn second. It made no sense but still awesome. Old movie, yes. I never watched it going by imdb ratings. Glad I watched. Not many will like it. :D

dreams

Gracias Senor

Well u might be amazed at the rating..but its the fault of PVR Ambience Gurgaon..the theatre is not optimized for 3D...After spending around 700 bucks ..we (me n my wife) felt utter waste of money...story's good,effects are gud..but we didnt really felt for even one sec the effect of 3D..I have been to disneyland US and Hong Kong..my god it feels so real even the disney movie is for 5 minutes but PVR 3 D goggles start giving us headache itself in first hour of show :(

Please watch this movie in 2D if u r in NCR..its worth..but alas...not in 3D
I too watched the movie in PVR Ambience. This was my first movie to watch in 3D wearing those hikki glasses. Boy, the glasses suck big time. As mentioned, I too experienced mild headache and due to the awkward shape of the glasses, couldn experience the movie in big time. I believe, we should watch in 2D in India. I would rate the movie 7/10 and 6 points goto only CG. 1 point goes to the hero and heroine. Storyline is sick and it drags in the middle. Felt very much bored. I would say, the money spent is gud for CG, we will not be able to identify which is real and which is created in CG. You mentioned waste of money for 2 person, but we 4 watched the movie spending 1400 bucks.
Heard Sherlock Holmes beats Avatar in BO.

Krow

Crowman
Pandorum - 8.5/10

How is Antibodies? I am gonna watch that next. I really like movies which make me think. Pandorum is one of them. Must watch for all hardcore sci-fi lovers.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
^^^

Its a one time watch. Somewhat like Silence of the lambs but different. Enjoyable.

3-Idiots
- Good popcorn movie. High on entertainment. Brainless comedy. But why don't we make intelligent comedies? Why are we always expected to keep our brains aside while watching bollywood comedies?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Quick Gun Murugun 7.8/10

Very good comedy.
Each and every bit of this movie is highly exaggerated. Much like spoof movies but it has its own soul.

Please watch to refresh sour taste buds from watching those dumb movies.
Even background score (and theme score for every villain, is hilarious)

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
3 IDIOTS: 6/10 Pretty Much what raterrsuperstar and rhitwick have said is spot on! I've still to find any intelligent comedy since Kosla Ka Ghosla from Bollywood! Sadly 3 Iditos wasn't it!

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Quick Gun Murugun 7.8/10

Very good comedy.
Each and every bit of this movie is highly exaggerated. Much like spoof movies but it has its own soul.

Please watch to refresh sour taste buds from watching those dumb movies.
Even background score (and theme score for every villain, is hilarious)

really ?????I watched 1/2 hr of movie and it seemed so boring..like rice plate reddy and all that $hit.... although I like song Tamil Bhangra..of QGM ......

XTerminator

Welbeck fan :D
Watched The Damned United a little while ago.being an ardent football fan,its always nice to see what happens backstage and this movie is a perfect example of that.Goes to show the partly ugly side of football.Brilliant dialogues,good acting by Michael Sheen and overall a good concept.nice to know what really happened to the once great Leeds United.

Movies a 7.5/10 and +0.5 for the Brit Accent :D.That makes it 8/10

Top Bottom