Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Windstruck 7.5/10

Nice movie with great acting lead pair.
A bit long and a few scenes drag but on a whole enjoyable movie.
Check it out.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Cz it plays on people's religious feelings to rake in money. All right, I know what happened to Jesus Christ et all, bt as a movie, what does it have other than exaggerated violence? If u liked it, then I'm totally fine with it. I dnt expect everyone to share my opinion. Frankly speaking, Ive seen Mel's Apocalypto too and I find it better than Passion. At least he tried and partially succeeded in depicting a culture and a way of life which isnt that well-known, i.e. , of the Mayans. He explored a rather unexplored part of our history. In Passion, he's picked up an exceedingly well-known story and depicted it as it is. The only good thing abt Passion is that its true to the Bible at least.

Anyways, no one can confirm that any religious myth is in fact true. If u still disagree, then watch Zeitgeist by Peter Joseph. We can discuss history after that.

Plus, Napolean once famously said that History is nothing but a fable that has been agreed upon by the rulers and the ruled. If u read Digit regularly, then u may remember a sci-fi blog by Nimish in the march issue, pg 38. It kinda makes my point. We really cant cnfrm history and hence must keep our eye on both the widely accepted documents and also the conspiracy theories and decide for ourselves.

Anyways, I dnt wanna get into a fight with any1, so if u like Passion, watch it ovr and ovr no probs. But u may wanna watch Zeitgeist and a South Park Episode called "The Passion Of The Jew". U cant look at one side and say that its great and the other side is crap without even seeing it.

That was specially for Psychosocial who said he imagines those who anger him as the victims. Plz read the thread b4 posting.
Whatever be the history or facts you need to respect the religion even if you don't follow it. You don't have any right to comment about other religions.
I'm Sorry that I didn't check that you were replying to Psychosocial's post.

Krow

Crowman
@ ajayritik I RESPECT THE RELIGION A LOT. Trust me, I am a very egalitarian person when it comes to religion. I believe that all religions are good if they help someone lead a happy and contented life. I never mentioned in any post that Christianity is a bad religion or anything like that.

To whoever feels that one can't use the word "SUCK" when referring to a religious movie: Plz let me knw what one can use that word for.

@ Ethan_Hunt I dnt like the Passion because :

It is historically inaccurate. Google it and u'll knw. It is an interpretation of Mel himself. An example is that Jesus didnt carry the whole of the cross, but he actually carried only the beam.

It is exaggerated violence. I knw it was never meant to be a bed of roses, yes. I can only begin to imagine hw much he must have suffered. But whatever the matter, one cant be blind to the amount of blood which he spilled in the movie. Even if He were the Son of God himself, he still was born as a human. I dunno if any human can survive if as much blood was lost, let alone walk about a kilometer and a half or even more.

When I said he played on ppl's religious feelings, I meant that just bcz u and I believe in Christ, that doesn't mean we accept blindly whatever is shown in the movie. Most ppl just accepted the story to be completely factual and started telling others hw much He suffered for us et al. I say, if it was Mel's interpretation of facts, why doesnt he show that before the movie, instead of this story is based on the last 12 hrs of Christ?

The movie is Anti-Semitic. I dnt assume that Passion inspired any love for Jews among people. If I dnt have the right to comment on any religion as some here suggest, who gave Mel Gibson that right??? Again, u must watch Zeitgeist before we continue our discussion.

Lastly, the movie is so blatantly one-sided that it must have angered even the great Jesus Christ. Even though the Jews crucified him, Jesus did not hate any of them! Yes, he was the purest soul on Earth, but my question is "Would He Himself have liked it if he saw how hateful the movie was towards the Jews?" Yes, people love Him even today, but he knew that He was gonna die. He knew who was gonna betray him. Yet he didnt do anything to stop it. Every moment he suffered someone was being rid of their sins, right? So, why do people make a movie which makes evry1 hate the Jews, when actually the movie should focus on the teachings of Christ.

I'm not saying that u hate the Jews or that I can ever feel how it feels to be scourged,etc. All I'm saying is that the tone of the movie is horrible. A period film which is both historically, scientifically inaccurate is just not my cup of tea. As for the money, my opinion was that using such blatantly inflammatory means to make money is not right. If u must knw, movies are a form of art before a means of making money.

You're comparing movies which are in 2 different leagues altogether. Apocalypto was based on the Mayan civilization & Passion was centered around Christ. Both shouldn't even be compared. You're comparing religion to a culture. Two different aspects.

Religion is a part of culture my friend. Culture includes everything you do, from what you wear and what you eat and which Gods you worship,etc. It is, basically, how you live your life. Even if they were things far apart, both movies explored a rather trying part of the life of a certain person, i.e., the lead character.

Let us close this topic here and now. Even if our opinions change, what difference is it gonna make? We are supposedly living in a democracy. We have to agree to disagree. If we don't, then we might as well consider ourselves to be a part of a dictatorial society! PEACE!

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
@thewisecrab- Theatres or ding dong? i really wanna see that movie but its not released in kolkata. Also theres hardly any stuff flying around in "special" places.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Please watch STAR TREK in theater to enjoy it!!! And only Cam is out!!!Watching it is like food without salt....It's just there....Tasteless

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Techalomaniac, before I begin, I just want to let you know that this isn't a fight. I believe in a healthy discussion & for the same reason am open to constructive criticism. I need to set the cards straight before things get awry.

To whoever feels that one can't use the word "SUCK" when referring to a religious movie: Plz let me knw what one can use that word for.
If you look at the word "suck", it's an extremely cheap word when trying to convey the meaning "bad/foul/disgusting" and it's likes. If you ask me, personally, I use that word only when I'm repelled from a rather cheesy B-grade movie, which shouldn't have even existed in the first place. But that's just me. If someone comes up to me & says, "Hey man, did you watch Gladiator? Boy that movie sucked!" Imagine my horror. But on the other hand if someone says "Hey look, it's Date Movie. What a sucky ass film!" I could care less what you call it.

Even if you put religious beliefs aside & look at the work that has been put into making this movie, it's presentation, the acting, depth of the pain of the lead actor & people connected to him, it's visually aesthetic appeal, the tedious make up job etc. You can bet your ass, it deserves more than the word "sucks". Sorry but I just can't accept it. That word just nullifies all discussion capabilities.

The reason I'm stressing on this word is because some ignorant people use this word, either knowingly or unknowingly, for movies which deserve a better response & thus influencing others. Just by that one word. So this doesn't mean you, Techalomaniac, because you had the ability to back it up with your fair responses. So I'm willing to carry on with this discussion. :smile:

@ Ethan_Hunt I dnt like the Passion because :

It is historically inaccurate. Google it and u'll knw. It is an interpretation of Mel himself. An example is that Jesus didnt carry the whole of the cross, but he actually carried only the beam.
The beam? I'm pretty sure whatever input we have about Christ's presence is from the scriptures of the Bible. It's all written. So it's very hard for anyone who wants to visually portray his suffering in a very accurate manner. I have read countless arguments right from the colour of his eyes to the excessive length of scourging practice. No person can actually depict an actual picture of 'A' particular incident, unless he/she has witnessed it first hand. From thereon, it would be on one's imagination on how the they want to interpret the incident based on the details provided.

It is exaggerated violence. I knw it was never meant to be a bed of roses, yes. I can only begin to imagine hw much he must have suffered. But whatever the matter, one cant be blind to the amount of blood which he spilled in the movie. Even if He were the Son of God himself, he still was born as a human. I dunno if any human can survive if as much blood was lost, let alone walk about a kilometer and a half or even more.
This is a part which I will agree upon. Personally, I couldn't possibly imagine someone loosing so much blood & not having an instant death. It's a harsh thing, but that is what was written. The length of that brutality wasn't expressed, so no way to determine if it was true.

When I said he played on ppl's religious feelings, I meant that just bcz u and I believe in Christ, that doesn't mean we accept blindly whatever is shown in the movie. Most ppl just accepted the story to be completely factual and started telling others hw much He suffered for us et al. I say, if it was Mel's interpretation of facts, why doesnt he show that before the movie, instead of this story is based on the last 12 hrs of Christ?
I'm sorry, I lost you out there. Could you explain to me what you meant by this "if it was Mel's interpretation of facts, why doesnt he show that before the movie, instead of this story is based on the last 12 hrs of Christ?" I didn't quite understand this point. I saw this movie for the way it was presented. I didn't go in with a propaganda of hating Jews, nor did I hate them post watching it. I just believe in God. I don't know what his name is or don't feel like naming him. The point is, I believe. I believe there is a higher authority. If you scientifically try to dissect everything, then beliefs are something which you won't be able to reason with. You can't demand proof on beliefs. That's just the way it is. We live in a world where people are very possessive about their religious beliefs & the slightest of remarks would ignite flame. It's only a matter of how you accept your religion & it's teachings & interpret it to the world. If I go by my religion, I won't keep telling how great Christ was & how much he suffered, but I would like to spread his sayings about forgiveness & peace.

The movie is Anti-Semitic. I dnt assume that Passion inspired any love for Jews among people. If I dnt have the right to comment on any religion as some here suggest, who gave Mel Gibson that right??? Again, u must watch Zeitgeist before we continue our discussion.
I'll take a rain check on this & get back to you after I complete watching Zeitgeist..

Lastly, the movie is so blatantly one-sided that it must have angered even the great Jesus Christ. Even though the Jews crucified him, Jesus did not hate any of them! Yes, he was the purest soul on Earth, but my question is "Would He Himself have liked it if he saw how hateful the movie was towards the Jews?" Yes, people love Him even today, but he knew that He was gonna die. He knew who was gonna betray him. Yet he didnt do anything to stop it. Every moment he suffered someone was being rid of their sins, right? So, why do people make a movie which makes evry1 hate the Jews, when actually the movie should focus on the teachings of Christ.
It's not about hating Jews. It's about Christ's suffering. People who focus too much on the religious communities inflicting damages, tend to make a hoopla of this situation. It depends from person to person & what they view in a movie, how they accept it & what's the message of the movie. For instance, I went along with my mother & my younger brother. When we came out, our eyes were bleeding red. It was so horrific to watch someone suffer for so long, that we forgot it was a movie. My mother, who is least bothered about Hollywood flicks, said that it was extremely moving. We never discussed anything about the Jews causing all this mess & the non-intended stuff or even thought about it.

Movies are made for entertainment. Not everything shown in it is supposed to be a fact. It's upto each individual as to how the view it & also depends on how well they are educated about the topic. If you go by the generic logic of pinning everything on the whole community, for a crime that a handful of people had committed, then it's absurd. We humans are complicated bunch of creatures. We create, we destroy, we blame, we make peace & then again start the same circle.

I'm not saying that u hate the Jews or that I can ever feel how it feels to be scourged,etc. All I'm saying is that the tone of the movie is horrible. A period film which is both historically, scientifically inaccurate is just not my cup of tea. As for the money, my opinion was that using such blatantly inflammatory means to make money is not right.
Then it's your opinion. Even if I take the history & scientific nitpicking out of the picture, it's still a very well directed movie.

If u must knw, movies are a form of art before a means of making money.
That's a very diplomatic statement in today's world. By the end of it, everyone knows what the end motive is. Even the highest ranked director eventually wants the same thing.

Religion is a part of culture my friend. Culture includes everything you do, from what you wear and what you eat and which Gods you worship,etc. It is, basically, how you live your life. Even if they were things far apart, both movies explored a rather trying part of the life of a certain person, i.e., the lead character.
Agreed. :smile:

Let us close this topic here and now. Even if our opinions change, what difference is it gonna make? We are supposedly living in a democracy. We have to agree to disagree. If we don't, then we might as well consider ourselves to be a part of a dictatorial society! PEACE!
I don't mind closing the topic. But would like to add that difference in opinion is always present. If you reciprocate appropriately then we can witness some enlightening view points. So if not us, someone else can carry it along with them. Else it would just turn out to be the mundane zombie-like posting session, with no one to interact with or share your opinions. That's all I had to say. So no offense & happy posting.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^You guys........please report to Fight Club.

Angels and Demons 8/10

Yes, its better than "Da Vinci Code". This time more action and less history lecture. Da vinci code seemed more a documentary than a movie, but in this movie the director has rectified the error.

Those who have read the book would be disappointed for not showing the history part but I guess they won't be disappointed watching it as a thriller.

If you have read the book, go watch it, at least u would get to see those places and would be able to clear ur imaginary vision.
And those who have not read the book, don't miss it.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Cz it plays on people's religious feelings to rake in money. All right, I know what happened to Jesus Christ et all, bt as a movie, what does it have other than exaggerated violence? If u liked it, then I'm totally fine with it. I dnt expect everyone to share my opinion. Frankly speaking, Ive seen Mel's Apocalypto too and I find it better than Passion. At least he tried and partially succeeded in depicting a culture and a way of life which isnt that well-known, i.e. , of the Mayans. He explored a rather unexplored part of our history. In Passion, he's picked up an exceedingly well-known story and depicted it as it is. The only good thing abt Passion is that its true to the Bible at least.

Anyways, no one can confirm that any religious myth is in fact true. If u still disagree, then watch Zeitgeist by Peter Joseph. We can discuss history after that.

Plus, Napolean once famously said that History is nothing but a fable that has been agreed upon by the rulers and the ruled. If u read Digit regularly, then u may remember a sci-fi blog by Nimish in the march issue, pg 38. It kinda makes my point. We really cant cnfrm history and hence must keep our eye on both the widely accepted documents and also the conspiracy theories and decide for ourselves.

Anyways, I dnt wanna get into a fight with any1, so if u like Passion, watch it ovr and ovr no probs. But u may wanna watch Zeitgeist and a South Park Episode called "The Passion Of The Jew". U cant look at one side and say that its great and the other side is crap without even seeing it.
Before I end this argument I would like to disagree with the statement that you made in the post above which I have bolded. Remaining part of the post I don't have a big issue. The main crux of any religion is Faith and will always be faith no point in exploring to find out if it's a myth or not. It may be a myth for you but not for everyone. I would appreciate if you accept this fact. If you have an opinion fair enough but no need to express your opinion telling religion is a myth just to justify your saying of the word s... This word is not some elite thing to use. If your dictionary is short of words maybe you can try buying a better one which has other words apart from suck in it. If you want I Can give you recommendation.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Watched Star Treak on Adlabs....One word AMAZING......8.8/10 I would have given 9 but shrunk out .2 marks because I felt the action a wee bit less, but over all the movie has everything, good script, stunning visuals, perfect CGI and best of all very accurate and perfect characterization, which is very important specially in movies that are projecting an already hit TV or Movie series. This movie develops its characters so well that you easily relate them with the TV series and you actually care about them......last but not the least perfect ballance of Humor as well and I mean good humor....combine all these and you got your self a blazing movie..........I hope I REALLY hope a sequel is on its way......

Next Stop on Adlabs :: Terminator Salvation

Lol...action was a bit less due to its pg-13 rating...Yes a sequel has been announced...sometime in 2011 release...

Krow

Crowman
Before I end this argument I would like to disagree with the statement that you made in the post above which I have bolded. Remaining part of the post I don't have a big issue. The main crux of any religion is Faith and will always be faith no point in exploring to find out if it's a myth or not. It may be a myth for you but not for everyone. I would appreciate if you accept this fact. If you have an opinion fair enough but no need to express your opinion telling religion is a myth just to justify your saying of the word s... This word is not some elite thing to use. If your dictionary is short of words maybe you can try buying a better one which has other words apart from suck in it. If you want I Can give you recommendation.

myth

 *cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif /mɪθ/ *cache.lexico.com/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled Pronunciation [mith] 1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature. 2. stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth. 3. any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth. 4. an imaginary or fictitious thing or person. 5. an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

My bad. I should have used the word mythology. I meant meaning no. 1. Plz do not misunderstand. I knw what religion is dependent upon and Ive :

Studied it theoretically quite a bit.

And Ive seen what it means to people in a lot of parts of our country.

There are people who have no food for 3 months of the year in Orissa whom I met. They survive either on the locally made date-palm wine or a local fruit called "mahua". Not sure what its called in eng, but it intoxicates people if it is stored for about 6 months or so before consumption. This is all the food they have. These people, each and every one of them told me that someday God would definetely raise their standard of living. Hope/faith/belief is the only reason they survive.:)

Anyways, to all those who were offended by my immature usage of a word, I take it back and replace it with unbearable. Hope this is justified.:D

@ Ethan_Hunt I'm kinda glad that I did use the word though. At least made room for some healthy discussion. Even though I may believe in God, its very hard to digest what is happening out there in the name of God. Ive seen fraud, blatant inflammatory speeches. Ive read about molestation, terrorism, etc. Sometimes I really pity those who place their trust in these evil maniacs. Surprisingly I found that none of them lost faith in God even after they were cheated.

Top Bottom