Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
This sucks. ONG BAK 2's Blu-Ray release is slated for May 29th. Is the Indian release dubbed in Hindi or subbed in English? I fear that former will be the case. :-x

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Ong Bak2 is going to release in India on 3rd April, not this 27th :grin:

Into The Wild 8/10
(I like happy endings:-|)

I wish, if I could........

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
EDEN LAKE - 9/10

When it comes to films like Hostel or Hills Have Eyes , I really really hate them. Mainly they contain violent scenes for the sake of having them. Before watching Eden Lake I had similar expectations. Fortunately I was totally wrong. Eden Lake actually has a good story, well developed characters, great atmosphere , well used cliches , little twists and turns and of course violent scenes!!! I was actually very tensed throughout the film , something I am never during films like this!! Eden Lake Rocked!!!!Must Watch if you can handle some violent scenes!!!

=======================
MINOR SPOILERS
========================

Can anyone tell me what was Jenny trying to do with bluetooth when she was pairing the phones up!!

=======================
MINOR SPOILERS ENDS
========================

Some one please recommend me more films like this having a decent story and not just violence

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
EDEN LAKE - 9/10

When it comes to films like Hostel or Hills Have Eyes , I really really hate them. Mainly they contain violent scenes for the sake of having them. Before watching Eden Lake I had similar expectations. Fortunately I was totally wrong. Eden Lake actually has a good story, well developed characters, great atmosphere , well used cliches , little twists and turns and of course violent scenes!!! I was actually very tensed throughout the film , something I am never during films like this!! Eden Lake Rocked!!!!Must Watch if you can handle some violent scenes!!!

=======================
MINOR SPOILERS
========================

Can anyone tell me what was Jenny trying to do with bluetooth when she was pairing the phones up!!

=======================
MINOR SPOILERS ENDS
========================

Some one please recommend me more films like this having a decent story and not just violence

AFAIR she was trying to pair up phones to use the guys phone to search for network and message someone or call as her phone was unable to find any network.

I may be wrong cuz I watched it a few months back.

More movies like this are:
0) Chaser
1) Deliverance
2) Southern Comfort

rajhot

S60 rocks
AFAIR she was trying to pair up phones to use the guys phone to search for network and message someone or call as her phone was unable to find any network.

I may be wrong cuz I watched it a few months back.
She was trying to make a call by connecting thru BT.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^That's right. She was trying to pair the phones via Bluetooth & make a '999' call from Steve's phone. But the scene was quite weird, if you notice closely, Jenny's cell phone too had full reception bars as did Steve's. Not to mention she was very close to where the rest of the gang were standing. So how did her cell phone not have any reception while Steve's did?

I loved the movie except for the unusual ending. Looks like the Brit movies usually succumb to these dull endings.

Anyway back to movie watching spree:
Underworld - 7/10
Underworld Evolution - 8/10
Police Academy II & III - 7/10

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
I loved the movie except for the unusual ending. Looks like the Brit movies usually succumb to these dull endings.

Me too was disappointed!!

Here's a good explanation though
Well he has no emotion for things he has done. He puts on the shades and looks into the mirror blankly. Why does he do that? It's because he wants other people to think he is the cool dude, the hardman in front of his peers. He maybe sees himself like a james dean character like rebel without a cause.

It also lets you see that fundamentally he is a psychopath. This might be obvious that he is a psychopath because he has killed people but it's not apparent because people can be involved in crimes psychopath or not. Human emotion to this guy is like someone asking for a cup of coffee and he sees people as inanimate objects or obstacles to making him look cool in front of his peers.

The end of the film lets you see that.

Also the fact that it's the older man (the victim's) shades. It's a way of him saying 'I'm the bigger man' or 'i'm more of a man than you are' or simply saying 'I'm more of an adult than you'.

Just like a spoiled kid rebelling against his parents. 'I AM AN ADULT I'M 16, I CAN DO WHAT I WANT' or whatever.
*www.imdb.com/title/tt1020530/board/nest/121929980

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Gulaal

Anurag Kashyap did it again.......very nice direction, wonderful acting by all characters, dialogues, music, cinematography, plot reality nd the special song named "raanaji".....all was just up to the mark.......

A gud offbeat indian cinema......but u must have a lil interest in politics, or better dirty politics.......The plot was all about Rajasthan's Rajputs and their involvement to the student politics......!!! Piyush Mishra, actor and composer+singer of the songs (afaik) and K K Menon are treat to watch.......
A must watch.....!!! Go for it...to watch the sheer indian talent !!

Gulaal -- 8/10

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
British movies (or European movies) are not bound to commercial success as primary concern while Hollywood mainly known for dumbing down the endings to happy ones for American joe.

Do you remember that The Descent ending was altered to happy one for American people ? :razz:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The Descent had a slow start & only built momentum till after about 40 minutes. I got the UK version & the end confused me to be honest. Then I came to know they chopped off the last footage to suit the American audience.

Eden Lake on the other hand, gave a good start, kept the pace & had a realistic feel to it. I thought the end should have been left off with Jenny just escaping from that place OR they could have converted it into a revenge type plot.

Movies like these often leave an empty feeling in the audience. The climax of a movie is very very crucial if it has a certain expectation built up till the end. Endings like these make us say "Oh it was an excellent movie but the end was f*cked up". Check out most of the threads on IMDB too. They have ample arguments over the endings. This means not a lot of people appreciate these dull endings.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
YES MAN - 4/10 : Very poor script!!!Wasted potential!!!

THE BOONDOCKS SAINTS - 6/10 : Nice little entertaining flick!

Last edited:

pushkar

Journeyman
The Descent had a slow start & only built momentum till after about 40 minutes. I got the UK version & the end confused me to be honest. Then I came to know they chopped off the last footage to suit the American audience.
So there is another ending to the movie. I too didn't understand the ending. I will have to watch the other version now.

Top Bottom