Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

R2K

In the Zone
watched this movie on HBO right now : glasshouse: a good mother .............omg...............i don't know what to say about this movie.........do u think anything like this really happens anywhere............???????

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
American History X -3.25/5 could have turned out into soo much better but the story heads nowhere.a good watch though
Story heads nowhere? What is that supposed to mean? Care to elaborate?

Also just out of total curiosity, do you always rate movies in such fractional numbers? :confused:

@esumitkumar:
does watching braveheart gave u depression ?
LOL... you are depressed over that kind of movie,nothing wrong with the movie but it is nothing to get worked up about.Talk about misdirected emotions.
My advice "you need some pr0n in your life".

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
@sam9s: CITY OF GOD re.....CITY OF JOY to Calcutta ko bulte hai...

I too found SLUMDOG MILLIONARE to be overrated!!! There are many points that bothered me....
SPOILERS:

Host talking to The contestant.....
Show being filmed live..

And mostly, Jamal giving Latika his mobile for absolutely no reason.....

The last question being so simple....everyone knows that
Also....All Or Nothing format of show...

[/SPOILER]

I thought the first half was excellent.....The second half turned into a chick flick...

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
T, Allwy have you seen this move.....who else have seen this one and may be city of joy as well.......

Your comments
Which one? City of God or Slumdog Millionaire? If it's the latter then yes I have seen it. I still have to watch City of God. I got the movie long back but I totally forgot about watching it. I was so addicted with watching TV series back-2-back that I left my movie sessions aside for a while. ;)

I'll see if I can watch it today afternoon. Will come back with my views.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Slumboy M sucked ..I dont know why many ppl are praising this highly over rated movie.. I totally agree with my droog eggy's comments

@ucchira..I was asking aditya1987 ..He is depressed after seeing "BRAVEHEART" not me :D

Rahim

Married!
^Its about hype and media-driven appraise of the movie. Bollywood wants to get noticed in International Arena and just look at Aishwarya and his puppy roaming around in bosom-showing dresses to get noticed by others. Its pathetic.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Thanks for your help guys.
Now I am taking pills to reduce depression.

You listen to stuff like Metallica and you get depression by watching Braveheart ?! WTF?!

I don't mean that metalheads are rock solid, etc but come on dude! Some Metallica lyrics are vile too. And IMO, Braveheart hardly has any gore or violence when pitted against certain movies. Stop acting childish and grow up. As someone else said right now that it's just a movie!

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Annie Hall - 9/10....RomCOm is one of my least fav genre. But Woody Allen pulls of it beautifully !! Great Film!!

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
about american history X's rating.i don't write a newspaper column review so i use fractional numbers to give the rating

and afaik the story isnt based on a real event so how can the kid's death be justified without any drama.and derek's change of views based on the events in the jail is absurd.also the film shows no segments of derek to bust the myth among his former fellow extremists.

for all those who think SM is overrated,its not,atleast when u r biased as an indian.but ppl who liked the dark knight shouldnt insist the SM isn't that good coz imo SM is better than TDK.if Heath Ledger stole the show in TDK the kids pwn SM

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
about american history X's rating.i don't write a newspaper column review so i use fractional numbers to give the rating
That's weird. I have yet to see anyone grading movies in fractional numbers. Anyway whatever makes you happy.
and afaik the story isnt based on a real event so how can the kid's death be justified without any drama.
You mean Danny's death? If yes then it's pretty much based on your imagination. No one's death is ever justified. Death is death. There are lot of people in the world who are innocent yet have to face death. We can't justify why everyone is taken away in the way they had been. Danny's death was not based on Derek's wrong doing but it was the way he mocked the Afro-American kid earlier in the movie. Given it's not a huge motive to kill someone but racism is taken very strictly as a subject out here.

The end is to inflict that hate amongst races is very unpredictable. You won't know what life will greet you with if you live with racism in your heart. It's like a round trip. Derek started this circle by imposing his neo-Nazism ways & just when he thought he had learned his lesson & wanted to repair his life, Danny is killed. It's to show what you sow is what you reap, in a very ironic way though.
and derek's change of views based on the events in the jail is absurd.
Derek always believed he had a lot of control over his life. Loved to also think he & his gang could establish white supremacy. What he didn't know was that he was living is a very close world. After showing no remorse on killing the African-American who tried to steal his car, he thought that prison life would have neutral effect on him. He comes in & realises that there are people far worse than him. And this is not his area where he can preach his "white rules" methods. Prison is full of people from different races & ethnicity. He gets raped anally, which is not a pretty sight. Conversations of Derek with his jail mate changes his views about how African-American are treated awfully as well, contrary to what his dad used to say about them. Bottom line: Derek was just a confused minded person who didn't think rationally to what he did. The jail events had broken his self-made shield & made him more vulnerable.
also the film shows no segments of derek to bust the myth among his former fellow extremists.
The movie didn't require him to bust the myth. He knew that his fellow mates would just ignore his 'wise' words of wisdom. So his main concern was to get Danny out of that past life that he had created. If busting the myth would have been that easy by just delivering a big speech to a bunch of stoned skinheads, then racism would have been obliterated off the planet. Derek knew that he was wrong in his ways & he didn't want anything from his past life. He fights off his friends & gets back his brother who was about to fall into the same mud hole as him.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Lost in Translation .. stars scarlett johansson & bill murray.. a good movie 7/10

Singh is King.. not worth it.. dont watch it..

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^^ must admit thats a good explanation to all my comments.i hate to use the "personal opinion" dialogue but in this case i may have to :D
Of course. I never said that you're not entitled to your opinion. But when you say "but the story heads nowhere" without any plausible explanation/argument, it's just something I won't buy. Sorry to sound blunt in my earlier reply but this movie deserves it's accolades. Tony Kaye, the director, portrayed a very harsh reality through this movie. Believe me when I say this, it had a very huge impact on me. After watching the curb-stomping scene, I was horrified. Never ever have I seen such brutal way of killing a human being. I have seen a lot of gore movies but never have I felt anything to resent in them. But this particular scene cut me very deep & changed my attitude towards mindless killing. I couldn't think straight the following morning while going to work. Had to constantly listen to some music to get that horrific scene out of my mind. :(

sam9s said:
Very well explained.....believe me for the first time, leaves me with nothing to add. And that is why Allwy is one of my better movie mates.....
From a mere mortal, thank you. Appreciate it. :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Smokin' Aces - 7/10. TP action flick. A good twist towards the end.

Beowulf (HD 720p) - Nice film. I enjoyed this movie. The animation is life like. TBH, I couldn't make out if it's really CGI or real life characters.

Wild Child - 6/10. Chick flick, so avoid if don't like these type of movies. Decent enough IMO.

Top Bottom