Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seriously fail to understand the hype behind Oppenheimer. It is an ok movie imo.
What is so special about this movie? Is it in the production/direction/cinematography? What am I missing?
If a movie based on an autobiography/biopic succeeds in capturing the essence of it then that itself makes it among top 1% of such movies ever made(just goes on to show how difficult it is to make a good biopic/autobiography based movie).

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
If a movie based on an autobiography/biopic succeeds in capturing the essence of it then that itself makes it among top 1% of such movies ever made(just goes on to show how difficult it is to make a good biopic/autobiography based movie).

I don’t think it was a difficult movie to make. It only captured the basic emotions, drama of at the time which I think many contemporary Indian web series do.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I seriously fail to understand the hype behind Oppenheimer. It is an ok movie imo.
What is so special about this movie? Is it in the production/direction/cinematography? What am I missing?
I do too feel that way sometimes. Movie can't satisfy every single one of the audience. Even the best of the best movie may not be liked by many.

This one, biographical tend to do well critically. And with many big names and big production it's no surprise. I don't remember this was directed by Nolan and there were this many stars when I watched trailer months ago.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I do too feel that way sometimes. Movie can't satisfy every single one of the audience. Even the best of the best movie may not be liked by many.

This one, biographical tend to do well critically. And with many big names and big production it's no surprise. I don't remember this was directed by Nolan and there were this many stars when I watched trailer months ago.

It is satisfying me as a movie but not to the level what people are saying that “It is one of the best movies ever made”.
Also it is very easy to identify a Nolan film when you see Cillian Murphy, Mathew Modine, David Dastmalchian, Casey Affleck share the same screen. Gives the same feeling like Prakash Jha .

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Also it is very easy to identify a Nolan film when you see Cillian Murphy, Mathew Modine, David Dastmalchian, Casey Affleck share the same screen. Gives the same feeling like Prakash Jha .
I remember Cilian Murphy in the trailer and the plot was about nuclear bomb or something. Other than that I remember nothing from the trailer. I don't know when I watched that trailer, feels like a long time. If not for this discussion I wouldn't have know it's a Nolan's movie.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I remember Cilian Murphy in the trailer and the plot was about nuclear bomb or something. Other than that I remember nothing from the trailer. I don't know when I watched that trailer, feels like a long time. If not for this discussion I wouldn't have know it's a Nolan's movie.

It’s a very Un-Nolan movie, not surprised if you haven’t noticed the actors that you didn’t know it was a Nolan movie.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
"nolan" movie is a collective work, nolan himself, the actors, the cinematographers, video editors.

tenet, did not have the nolan's primary video editor, thats why it was an absolute mess in terms of pacing. (Lee Smith).
Lee smith, instead was working on 1917 which was more of a "nolan" movie than tenet.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It’s a very Un-Nolan movie, not surprised if you haven’t noticed the actors that you didn’t know it was a Nolan movie.
I just watched the trailer again. Nolan's name was on full screen, I don't know why I forgot seeing that. Other than Cilian Murphy no other big actors were shown in the trailer.

BTW this is the trailer I am talking about

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
"nolan" movie is a collective work, nolan himself, the actors, the cinematographers, video editors.

tenet, did not have the nolan's primary video editor, thats why it was an absolute mess in terms of pacing. (Lee Smith).
Lee smith, instead was working on 1917 which was more of a "nolan" movie than tenet.

Haven’t watched 1917 so can’t comment on that but almost every movie / web series is a collective work.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
75yrs of Chandralekha
How Vasan’s ‘Chandralekha,’ released 75 years ago, set a pan-Indian trend
The Tamil film, which was dubbed in Hindi, was not only a mega success across the country but also made Madras a filmmaking hub - The Hindu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Jawan (2023) - 7/10

Action is good and the background music. Plot is good. 1st half is interesting. 2nd half is weak. Climax could have been better.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Jawan (2023) - 7/10

Action is good and the background music. Plot is good. 1st half is interesting. 2nd half is weak. Climax could have been better.
But why was the original movie flop?

Very contrasting scenario.
Jawan and Gadar 2 success.
And the upcoming election.

shreeux

Movie Buff
Jawan (2023) - 7/10

All in One

7 Aum Arivu
Ramana
Baahubali
Theri
Mersal
Bigil
Villu
Oru Kaidhiyin Diary
Money Heist
Apocalypto
Arrambam
Yennai Arindhaal
....etc

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Saw X (2023) - 8/10
After a long time in the series they made it excellent again. Saw 1 & Saw 2 were the best ones in the series and now Saw X.
John Kramer is back with a Bang!!!

Saw fans will enjoy this one.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Ah shit. I liked the Saw series but over the period of time I have the lost the stomach for gore movies. May be I should give another try. Hmmm...

icebags

Technomancer
Visited the last day of Japan film festival at South City INOX Kolkata & watched Anime Supremacy!

Movie was about the struggles faced by employees, in Japanese anime industry. It was based on some novel, like many other Japanese live-action movies, and was made pretty nicely. Definitely recommended.

However, there were still some sublime hints about following their toxic "overwork & relying on utopic activities during free time for stress release" culture, which I don;t really agree with. But, those are easy to ignore, and it was quite immersive experience with anime cut scenes and concepts in between.

They even gifted the audience a free Japanese highlighter as promotion. :clap2:

IMG_20240121.jpg

And well, during the movie all the audience appeared to be school & college kids, without much presence of middle age otakus like us, which kinda made us feel creepy. :|

And almost forgetting to tell, some of those kids came wearing their cosplay outfits, including the Japanese announcer person himself. May be I just experienced my first cosplay experience in India. May be, except, last time when I went to watch Assassin's Creed, some guys came wearing hoodies.

Trailer for whoever want to take a look.

Top Bottom