Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

nac

Aspiring Novelist
That's one helluva rating for a movie. I didn't find the first one impressive and don't feel like give this one a try, but after seeing your rating I am thinking of it. Let's see.
Watched Extraction 2. Thumbs down, not my kinda movie.

Nimona - I liked this one. It's good. :thumbs:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Watched Extraction 2. Thumbs down, not my kinda movie.

Nimona - I liked this one. It's good. :thumbs:

Extraction 2 is a good action movie. Its a bit special when you examine the action sequence of rescuing the woman and her children. It was so up close that it felt excellent.
I did a bit of research afterwards and it turns out it was all done in a single shot.

A good 7/10 rating from me.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Extraction 2 is a good action movie. Its a bit special when you examine the action sequence of rescuing the woman and her children. It was so up close that it felt excellent.
I did a bit of research afterwards and it turns out it was all done in a single shot.

A good 7/10 rating from me.
I guess it's me. Not able to buy the story and don't find any logic just like my mom who didn't when she watched Spiderman over a decade ago. I still find it funny when she commented "how spider-web can come out of a human" :rofl:

He was pretty much dead, went to coma and he was recovering when he hears about the job. In under 6 weeks, he's ready for the job. Why Ms. Khan is in the field? Is she a field agent? Didn't she handles things from far away? Anyway... The prison fight, they were coming to them like zombies and he fight them all is not believable. It was night, they come out to the street and it's already dawn and few seconds into the chase and it's already mid day. It kinda felt like TV Movie with big production value. During the chase one of his team gone, and they are cracking a joke. WTF! The last fight, villain calls and ask to come and hero takes the car and go as if the place is just around the corner.

I am sure I have seen crazier stuff than this and liked it. But just that, this time I couldn't buy it. I can't even able to watch the movie in one sitting.

When a movie turned into a frachaise and I don't like it, this comes to my mind.
When something kinda works in hollywood, they will keep making it until everyone hates it - Tina Fey
It's the same movie, just that this time we shot in Thailand - Seth MacFarlane (About Ted 2 during promotion)

No movie can satisfy every single one of us. There are all kinds of reviews for every movie. And we tend to align with the reviews which are similar to ours and I align with this review (partially) ;).
The first Extraction was entertaining enough but this new one is just cynically about extracting the cash.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I guess it's me. Not able to buy the story and don't find any logic just like my mom who didn't when she watched Spiderman over a decade ago. I still find it funny when she commented "how spider-web can come out of a human" :rofl:

He was pretty much dead, went to coma and he was recovering when he hears about the job. In under 6 weeks, he's ready for the job. Why Ms. Khan is in the field? Is she a field agent? Didn't she handles things from far away? Anyway... The prison fight, they were coming to them like zombies and he fight them all is not believable. It was night, they come out to the street and it's already dawn and few seconds into the chase and it's already mid day. It kinda felt like TV Movie with big production value. During the chase one of his team gone, and they are cracking a joke. WTF! The last fight, villain calls and ask to come and hero takes the car and go as if the place is just around the corner.

I am sure I have seen crazier stuff than this and liked it. But just that, this time I couldn't buy it. I can't even able to watch the movie in one sitting.

When a movie turned into a frachaise and I don't like it, this comes to my mind.

No movie can satisfy every single one of us. There are all kinds of reviews for every movie. And we tend to align with the reviews which are similar to ours and I align with this review (partially) ;).

BTW which last action movie you saw made logic?
Gotta keep that out of the way when watching an action movie especially when the Sun rises and sets

nac

Aspiring Novelist
BTW which last action movie you saw made logic?
Gotta keep that out of the way when watching an action movie especially when the Sun rises and sets
Yeah, sure. Not just action movies, we can't expect logic in other genres as well. When you're into it, you won't mind those things. When you don't, then everything looks silly and you can't take anything serious.

Edge of Tomorrow is one such movie which I really liked. It's one of my all time favourite. If anyone is looking for logic in this movie, then it's not for him.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't read the spoiler but I doubt it will be crazier than Transporter 2 or Shoot 'Em Up & by that I mean in a good way.

Reactions: nac

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@nac: Every movie has mistakes. There are critics channels who will find out minor mistakes too. But still movies get Oscars.
LOGIC thing is much exploited in Bollywood action movies.

What you will say about Everything Everywhere All At Once ? it got Oscars this year :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@nac: But still movies get Oscars.
What you will say about Everything Everywhere All At Once ? it got Oscars this year :)
Award movies are not for wider set of audience. We can't go by critically acclaimed movies either. Taken didn't do well critically but it's one of my all time favourite action movie.
Everthing Everywhere All At Once - It's crazy and absurd and later I came to know that there is a genre called Absurdism :sealed:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Award movies are not for wider set of audience. We can't go by critically acclaimed movies either. Taken didn't do well critically but it's one of my all time favourite action movie.
Everthing Everywhere All At Once - It's crazy and absurd and later I came to know that there is a genre called Absurdism :sealed:
Not all award winning movies though, many were quite popular commercially too(dark knight for example). Pure action movies in fact rarely win awards like oscar anyway.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Not all award winning movies though, many were quite popular commercially too(dark knight for example). Pure action movies in fact rarely win awards like oscar anyway.
Ofcourse, there are exceptions. I mean in general they are not popular with mass. Many a times combined box office collection of the best films nominated is less than the highest grosser of the year. Obviously, can't say the same for the last year as two of the highest grosser made it to the nomination (oscars).

Voter's favorites gets awards (I don't say they don't deserve) and needs good amount of lobbying. With Oscars many a times I feel like the ones who have already nominated/won gets nominated again even when there are other deserving talents, esp true with big names. Biographical movies of historical figures gets nomination as if it's automatic.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Oppenheimer- 9/10

to some it may seem like court drama, but it was actually more like case study of him. Information of basics physics, history and politics of that era is required to enjoy fully.

It may have been shorter than 3 hours as it felt forcefully stressed. Otherwise great story line.

Last edited:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Oppenheimer- 9/10

to some it may seem like court drama, but it was actually more like case study of him. Information of basics physics, history and politics of that era is required to enjoy fully.

It may have been shorter than 3 hours as it felt forcefully stressed. Otherwise great story line.

Perfect film to not watch with my dehati wife. Although it will be difficult for me to decipher the context of the movie also but I know how the level of boringness will skyrocket when i’ll watch with her.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
this is the only place where she doesn’t have oversight over me so I can spew whatever i want

Watched yesterday late night show….. It is the first time I watched a slow movie in theatres. It is not like previous Nolan’s movies at all (Dunkirk, Tenet are exceptions, they were also very slow.. just loud noise) and to be honest it is like three hours of just dialogues and dialogues and dialogues. Rural India will smash the cinema halls showing it . Average Urban Indian diaspora are gonna make too much fun of it and talk how their money got wasted since they expected some action.

I fail to have much praise for the movie since cinema is mainly an entertainment medium and having such plain old film serves no purpose going to the theatres. One can easily get that experience by reading a big Op-Ed Article or a short novel.
I don’t understand the high score on rotten tomatoes and people just praising the movie like it’s the best thing they’ve ever seen. May be here in India we have different expectations while going to a theatre.

Last edited:

shreeux

Movie Buff
this is the only place where she doesn’t have oversight over me so I can spew whatever i want

Watched yesterday late night show….. It is the first time I watched a slow movie in theatres. It is not like previous Nolan’s movies at all (Dunkirk, Tenet are exceptions, they were also very slow.. just loud noise) and to be honest it is like three hours of just dialogues and dialogues and dialogues. Rural India will smash the cinema halls showing it . Average Urban Indian diaspora are gonna make too much fun of it and talk how their money got wasted since they expected some action.

I fail to have much praise for the movie since cinema is mainly an entertainment medium and having such plain old film serves no purpose going to the theatres. One can easily get that experience by reading a big Op-Ed Article or a short novel.
I don’t understand the high score on rotten tomatoes and people just praising the movie like it’s the best thing they’ve ever seen. May be here in India we have different expectations while going to a theatre.
Mostly, they don't know about biopics. As a result, they follow sheep runners blindly.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I seriously fail to understand the hype behind Oppenheimer. It is an ok movie imo.
What is so special about this movie? Is it in the production/direction/cinematography? What am I missing?

Top Bottom