Motorola Defy or HTC Desire

Rohan_B

Journeyman
Hey Guys,
I am looking for an Android Phone with Max. Budget 16-17K.
My Local Shopkeeper recommended me the HTC Desire( Not the Desire S ).
When I went through the forums here I realized that Motorola Defy is an awesome phone worth consideration.
My questions are-
1)Which phone has better performance??
2)Which phone is better looking??
3)Which phone has a better screen??
4)Which Phone should I buy??

A dealer was offering me the Xperia Ray for that price, so should I go for it??
Also is the Galaxy SL i9003 worth consideration??
I was actually looking to prevent it since I think 4' won't be a very pocket friendly phone.........
Please reply fast guys, I am eager to replace my Nokia with an Android..... :D

P.S.- My Budget can NOT be extended.

Soumik

Padawan
Motorola Defy !!! :)

or may be Xperia Ray.. seems like an awesome device if you can get it within 16K...
forget Desire.. requires too much modding to get the best out of it.

Dont consider Galaxy SL. Its not worth the price. If you want to.. go for Galaxy S.. but u will have to slightly increase ur budget...

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
There is no easy answer to the question...

If you are ready to spend 15k, both Desire and Defy are excellent...

If you are ready to mod, both Desire and Defy are excellent...

Once upon a time, Desire was king... Now its old, but still a powerhouse... if you can get Desire for 13.5k to 14k, its totally value for money. Not more than that...

12 Months ago, people would have jumped to buy Desire @20k+.. But now, don't pay more than 14k for it...

Defy has excellent built quality, especially its totally waterproof, totally dustproof and very rugged... Also, has a decent battery. At 13.5k, its totally excellent...

Soumik says no to Galaxy SL, but @16k, its a powerful phone with a buggy firmware... Not something to throw away...

Also, one more thing, I have bought a new Samsung Focus (WP7) for my sister from EBAY at 13k. It will reach me in a couple of days... That phone is totally value for money, especially since Mango Update has been released...

I would suggest to get Galaxy S for 18k if you can increase your budget.

Defy and Desire would be outdated within few months though its VFM phone. Desire is very well know phone for battery issues and quite old.

Defy you can overclock to 1ghz and GPU is good for JUST normal gaming, but the chances are less that it will get ICS.

Soumik

Padawan
@Android Fan - Focus for 13K!!! :O Thats is amazing value for money!!! Its basically Desire's internals with Galaxy S's externals. And few bonus es for flash and internal storage. Awesome!!! :D

Coming back to Androids, still feel galaxy SL, even at 16K, is a bit over the price rate. Desire and Defy are available for around 14K... so 2K above the competition.

My roomie has Desire and i have Defy... Even though stock Defy didnt have much of a chance in front of Stock Desire... modding turned the tables completely. Small games like Nin Jump lag on Desire, even after modding (They run smooth on Defy). Battery life is pathetic on Desire compared to Defy. Desire has impossibly low internal memory. Creating boot disk/usb and using GPart or similar to create 'ext' partition on the sd card, and then using a ROM supporting APP2SD/A2SD+ is not every one's cup of tea. But without it, ppl wont b able to install a lot of apps. Oh and yeah.. even though it gets used regularly, but without bumps of accidents, the color of the device is coming off near the edges. Desire ages very fast. Defy too has color coming off near the screw regions, but its hardly noticeable, but on Desire its pretty visible.

@dreatica - Defy + just released.. which basically is the same phone. And if ICS releases within next 6 months, Defy(+) is sure to get an ICS ROM release. The trouble with start with the version after ICS, which wont be supporting the low end devices, and 1GHz phones would be struggling to keep up. So we can safely say that Desire/Defy/SGSL/SGS and the likes still have 1-2 more year atleast to stay up to date with the latest and greatest Android version. :)

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@Android Fan - Focus for 13K!!! :O Thats is amazing value for money!!! Its basically Desire's internals with Galaxy S's externals. And few bonus es for flash and internal storage. Awesome!!! :D

Coming back to Androids, still feel galaxy SL, even at 16K, is a bit over the price rate. Desire and Defy are available for around 14K... so 2K above the competition.

My roomie has Desire and i have Defy... Even though stock Defy didnt have much of a chance in front of Stock Desire... modding turned the tables completely. Small games like Nin Jump lag on Desire, even after modding (They run smooth on Defy). Battery life is pathetic on Desire compared to Defy. Desire has impossibly low internal memory. Creating boot disk/usb and using GPart or similar to create 'ext' partition on the sd card, and then using a ROM supporting APP2SD/A2SD+ is not every one's cup of tea. But without it, ppl wont b able to install a lot of apps. Oh and yeah.. even though it gets used regularly, but without bumps of accidents, the color of the device is coming off near the edges. Desire ages very fast. Defy too has color coming off near the screw regions, but its hardly noticeable, but on Desire its pretty visible.

@dreatica - Defy + just released.. which basically is the same phone. And if ICS releases within next 6 months, Defy(+) is sure to get an ICS ROM release. The trouble with start with the version after ICS, which wont be supporting the low end devices, and 1GHz phones would be struggling to keep up. So we can safely say that Desire/Defy/SGSL/SGS and the likes still have 1-2 more year atleast to stay up to date with the latest and greatest Android version. :)

+1

Excellent post bro...

aroraanant

Explorer
The only bad thing about Desire is its battery back up is not that good.
If I would be at your(OP) place then I would have bought Desire(Has got ginerbread and 1GHz processor) for 15-15.5k.
If not Desire then Defy for 13.5k
I m not saying that Defy,Ray(SE in sucks in terms of service) and Galaxy SL(it lacks flash,n costs around 18k) are bad but its my thinking/opinion.

Soumik

Padawan
@AndroidFan - Thanks bro :)

@varuog and dreatica - AFAIK its only released in the US so far. India release will be later. But Defy is almost the same device.. sans the battery, overclocked chipset and new Moto UI and ROM. U can get the latter 2 by modding the device. So, not much point in waiting for Defy+, which will probably be priced higher at the time of release...

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I would say spend around 20k and get Google Nexus S
Since you cannot extend budget, strictly out of there two get Motorola Defy.

vulpine

Broken In
I am more or less on the same boat as you are!
I am confused to choose between xperia ray and desire S.

Xperia ray has one of the best LCDs in market.At 299 ppi its almost on par with iPhone's retina display. Its camera is very good too. with 1GHz Scorpion chip and Adreno205 graphics chip under the hood, the power is right up there with Arc and Play. The good news is Cyanogen announcing full support of CM ROMs in future for xperia devices.

Also SE announced that all 2011 devices will get ICS update.
IMHO, the only con that I find with Ray is that its potrait qwerty is very small and may take lotta time to get used to which is not a major thing given that you always have a landscape qwerty.

you should have got my suggestion by now. yes its xperia ray. go for it!!

But Im still confused!! Desire S though costlier by more than 4k lacks many features of Ray but it has got great XDA support.
I have checked sense 3.0 ROM on Desire S on youtube and Im in love with it. I want it! :p

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
Incredible S is better than Desire S and there is also not much price difference so u must go for Incredible.
If we talk about SE Ray,it looks good spec wise though I m waiting for getting my hands on it but the worst thing about SE is,it sucks in terms of service and they are too late in giving updates(software)

aroraanant

Explorer
You can have a look at xperia x10 available at 14k only at mobile.sulekha.com.
I dont think anyone can get better deal than this

mukeshgupta

Broken In
Motorola defy prices seem to have dropped further - Rs.14095 @Saholic

If you are interested in the defy it's good to grab the deal before it is gone.

Top Bottom