Mid Range Android Phones...the best phones to look forward to

OP
M

me1

Broken In
NainO,
I thought flipkart gave discounts. I haven't bought any phone online either..if I have to buy online I prefer buying from the official brand websites. Yeah, we might not get a discount but still..
As for stores, last time when I went to buy Samsung Galaxy..I went to the nearest ezone and chroma

sam.shab,
Thank you for posting that picture. I want to buy a phone in a week or two, but I still haven't decided on which one..
Considering that both Samsung and LG are more or less similar in specs..If we look at the price, LG is about 1000rs more, it does not come with a phone cover, no SD card(in the picture you posted, i cant find these). Also brandwise, LG is not as good as Samsung..

One thing might help me decide on the phone, its the the touch screen/user interface/skin of the phone. Do you know which is better LG or Samsung?

ps: is this website slow? I tried to post yesterday around the same time...it was so slow i couldn't read or write anything or is something wrong my internet connection?

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
^^^
froyo 2.2
320*480 resolution
good build quality
novel looks
- i can easily pay extra 1k for these things :)

Someone on gsmarena told that 2GB card is bundled with Optimus One. So dont worry!!!

Touch screen - Both hav capacitive touch so both phones respond nicely
User interface - Touchwiz 3.0 in Galaxy 3 and regular android interface with some slightly midified widgets in Optimus One
Skin - if you are pointing towards body then, Galaxy 3 just hav plasticy body and Optimus One has plastic body with matte finish(which are better to hold and feels good)

another news- from a review i came to know that Optimus one has graphics accelerator...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
NainO,
I thought flipkart gave discounts. I haven't bought any phone online either..if I have to buy online I prefer buying from the official brand websites. Yeah, we might not get a discount but still..
As for stores, last time when I went to buy Samsung Galaxy..I went to the nearest ezone and chroma

thats not a discount. its the price you'll find locally. the price they give discount is the price printed on the package. and i not seen anyone buy a mobile at the written price.

sam.shab,
Thank you for posting that picture. I want to buy a phone in a week or two, but I still haven't decided on which one..
Considering that both Samsung and LG are more or less similar in specs..If we look at the price, LG is about 1000rs more, it does not come with a phone cover, no SD card(in the picture you posted, i cant find these). Also brandwise, LG is not as good as Samsung..

One thing might help me decide on the phone, its the the touch screen/user interface/skin of the phone. Do you know which is better LG or Samsung?

ps: is this website slow? I tried to post yesterday around the same time...it was so slow i couldn't read or write anything or is something wrong my internet connection?

welcome buddy. that pic gave me a good relief too :smile:

LG O1 cost 800-1000 more. expect pay 12.3-12.5k if buying near Christmas. but G3 price too will come down by than.

^^^
froyo 2.2
320*480 resolution
good build quality
novel looks
- i can easily pay extra 1k for these things :)

Someone on gsmarena told that 2GB card is bundled with Optimus One. So dont worry!!!

Touch screen - Both hav capacitive touch so both phones respond nicely
User interface - Touchwiz 3.0 in Galaxy 3 and regular android interface with some slightly midified widgets in Optimus One
Skin - if you are pointing towards body then, Galaxy 3 just hav plasticy body and Optimus One has plastic body with matte finish(which are better to hold and feels good)

another news- from a review i came to know that Optimus one has graphics accelerator...

add these also to the list:

1. soft keys rather than touch keys. many may disagree but physical keys are better than some flat surfaces that are touch sensitive.
2. battery problem with Samsung G3. battery lasts till 50%. than drains very quickly. not came through such problem in O1 yet.
3. 256Mb ram. not much of a problem as its still a mobile. but more ram will really help if someone likes doing multitasking.

yes the O1 comes with 2Gb card. just the leather pouch is missing but that can be had for 100bucks.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@sam
thnx buddy for the addition :-D

Yeah, leather cover is not there for Optimus One. But the one provided with Galaxy 3 is very CHEAP!!! I never really used it...

OP
M

me1

Broken In
I just wrote a post, its seems to be lost..I'll try again. I'm having a hard time with this connection speed, either its my internet or this site..

NainO,
I know both Galaxy3 and Optimus One have capacitive touch screens, but that was not my question. What I was asking is how good is this touch screen. If you have compared your Galaxy3 touch screen with that of HTC Wildfire phone touch screen, then you will see a big difference. The HTC touch is more smooth, and it responds more quickly than Galaxy. I think even the low range HTC phone's touch screen will be better than the Galaxy3 phone, thats because HTC is known to have the best UI/Skins.

My question was, is the LG Optimus touch screen better than that of Galaxy 3?

This might help me in chosing the phone.

Sam.Shab,
I was thinking of buying in one or two weeks. If we have to wait, until christmas..then I think there will be other launches too around then. Hopefully, HTC will come up with some phone within 13k.

I would have bought the Wildfire, but its not worth the extra 3500 bucks. I mean its a good phone, but we are getting phones with better resolution for 12000rs. Why should I pay more for Wildfire.

I was checking another thread, I read that Samsung got its Froyo update today.

Last edited:

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@me

The better touch response is not the result of UI/Skin...
Its the result of implementation of technology!

As you know both Apple iPhone and galaxy S hav Capacitive touch screen. But why is that screen of iPhone is even more responsive than Galaxy S???
This is cuz the implementation of capacitive touch technology by Apple is outstanding.
This is same with HTC. Both Apple and HTC are par in this.
iPhone and HTC HD2 touch response is out of this world.

As far as LG and samsung goes, both are in learning phase(as compared to apple). There device's touch response is fairly equivalent(for both resistive and capacitive).

Even if there is chance of galaxy 3 having better response then too the difference wud not be much noticeable.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@sam
thnx buddy for the addition :-D

Yeah, leather cover is not there for Optimus One. But the one provided with Galaxy 3 is very CHEAP!!! I never really used it...

i never used a leather cover. AFAIS, usually the Nokia owners usually go for these leather covers (all my friends that own only Nokia use covers).

I know both Galaxy3 and Optimus One have capacitive touch screens, but that was not my question. What I was asking is how good is this touch screen. If you have compared your Galaxy3 touch screen with that of HTC Wildfire phone touch screen, then you will see a big difference. The HTC touch is more smooth, and it responds more quickly than Galaxy. I think even the low range HTC phone's touch screen will be better than the Galaxy3 phone, thats because HTC is known to have the best UI/Skins.

My question was, is the LG Optimus touch screen better than that of Galaxy 3

hmmmm, but i feel any kind of skin will eat up more processing power. frankly, i'll accept a mobile with 100% stock android than a cheaper mobile with tons of those skins & all.

about the screen sensitivity, both should be same. or at least won't make a huge difference once you get used to it.

Sam.Shab,
I was thinking of buying in one or two weeks. If we have to wait, until christmas..then I think there will be other launches too around then. Hopefully, HTC will come up with some phone within 13k.

I would have bought the Wildfire, but its not worth the extra 3500 bucks. I mean its a good phone, but we are getting phones with better resolution for 12000rs. Why should I pay more for Wildfire.

"Lighting reaches before thunder" :smile:

if HTC is going to launch a new "budget" mobile, it'll start with rumors. than a few leaked specs or pics. than speculated launch dates/events. than an announced launched date/event. than it'll be launched. & finally after a month or 2 delay will reach here with a premium price tag.

end of story.

if you want buy O1, visit the nearest mobile store & buy one @ 12.8k. you may get some kind of discount through the scratch card.

I was checking another thread, I read that Samsung got its Froyo update today.

where you read this? Samsung yet to announce a date for availability of Froyo. they usually don't just launch an update like this.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@me

The better touch response is not the result of UI/Skin...
Its the result of implementation of technology!

As you know both Apple iPhone and galaxy S hav Capacitive touch screen. But why is that screen of iPhone is even more responsive than Galaxy S???
This is cuz the implementation of capacitive touch technology by Apple is outstanding.
This is same with HTC. Both Apple and HTC are par in this.
iPhone and HTC HD2 touch response is out of this world.

well told & its true.

As far as LG and samsung goes, both are in learning phase(as compared to apple). There device's touch response is fairly equivalent(for both resistive and capacitive).

Even if there is chance of galaxy 3 having better response then too the difference wud not be much noticeable.

Samsung isn't in learning phase. its quite an advance player now. in the display arena (created curve touchscreen as seen on Nexus S). LG is too experienced but Samsung betters LG.

but at a given price point, you can't ask everything. i feel LG O1 cost 12.8k & not 15k or so mainly cause LG suffered some big loss in its mobile dept this yr. Cookie vs Corby vs 52**. Cookie was taken for breakfast by both Nokia & Samsung. if they don't produce some descent mobiles at good price, it (LG) may have to sell off their mobile part.

OP
M

me1

Broken In
Hi,
Sam and NainO

I have been considering buyin an android phone for a long time..I don't want to be waiting any longer. I might buy in a few days, so for now, I only have two options LG and Samsung. I am not sure which one I will pick up, I may pick up the LG..though I don't like this brand for phones..

I thought the touch screen response and user interface and the skin were all linked, or infact the same technically. well, i might be wrong, i don't know much of these technical stuff anyway.
I was thinking if LG touch response was somewhere close to HTC it'd be a good phone to buy, considering that I have only two choices now(LG or Samsung).

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
well even i am not very comfortable with LG mobiles. cause of their mobile quality & specially their interfaces. but this time as its Android & with least modification, it should be a good experience. also the build quality is pretty good from what reviews told. so go for it. also consider Motorola TX3 or so.

the touch sensitivity mayn't be like HTC but for a budget Android it should be enough.

OP
M

me1

Broken In
When I first started this post, I didn't like any of the phones currently available withing the 12-15 thourand range except for HTC wildfire..which I didn't want to buy because its resolution is not good. There are no other launches that beat the currently launched phones, infact there are no launches.
About last month I had kind of made up my mind on Samsung but after seeing the phone..I didn't want it. I thought if there are no good launches soon I will take Samsung..because by now its become quite a popular phone. But now I am kind of confused between the Optimus and the Samsung. Hopefully I would have made up my mind by the time I reach the store to buy the phone.

motorola I never considered buying, and no one on this forum seems to have that phone. No one has the optimus one either..but there is more talk about this phone than motorola.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
1 million of optimus one sold and i didnt heard any user complaint yet. If there were any complaint about this device it wud hav been highlighted on internet. :)
So till now optimus one is doing just fine.

Motorola XT3 only got two advantages- flash light for camera and trackerball/trackpad. And it not a smooth performer as that of galaxy 3 and optimus one...

OP
M

me1

Broken In
NainO
how do you know that the motorola is not a smooth performer as the galaxy3 or optimus one.

btw, did you buy the optimus one today. you said you might buy it today. how is it?

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
^^^ i came to know that from a review...

And no i didnt bought it yet, will confirm with the retailer abt its availability tommorow(at college time :))...
BTW the other retailer didnt hold its promise as he said- "next month pakka!!!". :-(
Damn i dont wanna wait more...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
one. But now I am kind of confused between the Optimus and the Samsung. Hopefully I would have made up my mind by the time I reach the store to buy the phone.

motorola I never considered buying, and no one on this forum seems to have that phone. No one has the optimus one either..but there is more talk about this phone than motorola.

deciding on the way what to buy :mrgreen:

well motorola have a few advantage other than the ones listed by Naino:
1. Gorilla glass ---> break it if you can, er?
2. better build quality ---> LG O1 battery cover is tightly shut as i read in some review. & also Motorola mobile build quality slightly better always (not the cheap ones).

ok as usual, its shortcomings:
1. ONLY 1270mAh battery. LG & Samsung will happily offer you a 1500mAh battery. & i really can't say Motorola battery will last more or will even able match the LG & Samsung.
2. looks. my personal opinion but that mobile look just sucks. even flipout or charm looks much better. it looks more like a relabeled Chinese mobile.

IN THE BOX
Sales Package: One Each Of Transceiver, Battery, Charger, Battery Door, Wired Headset

this i directly copied from flipkart. its for Motorola TX3. no data cable. no memory card. forget a leather cover :evil:

so i think TX3 isn't one to be considered.

1 million of optimus one sold and i didnt heard any user complaint yet. If there were any complaint about this device it wud hav been highlighted on internet. :)
So till now optimus one is doing just fine.

Motorola XT3 only got two advantages- flash light for camera and trackerball/trackpad. And it not a smooth performer as that of galaxy 3 and optimus one...

some small complains have been surfaced but all are software (Android bugs) problems. nothing related to H/W till now.

NainO
how do you know that the motorola is not a smooth performer as the galaxy3 or optimus one

one possible answer is MotoBlur. its like running Crystal XP on XP. with limited ram & processing power, it maybe too heavy for the mobile. Samsung touchwiz is far better.

PS: i haven't used any mobile with motoblur or touchwiz. so don't take above post seriously.

And no i didnt bought it yet, will confirm with the retailer abt its availability tommorow(at college time :))...
BTW the other retailer didnt hold its promise as he said- "next month pakka!!!". :-(
Damn i dont wanna wait more...

holding my horses till exam over. than will let than free all over O1 (if by than able save up enough).

BTW, inquire at Mobile Store. you may get some nice discount. even a 500bucks discount (over the 12.8k price tag) will bring total price very close to G3.

Last edited:

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
OK... Will make a try on mobile store too...

And i think you are right about motorola costumization MOTOBLUR. Its a big burden over mobile phone...
Samsung touchwiz 3.0 too kills 667MHz proccy of galaxy 3 in music player(with a lot of songs) and messaging...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Samsung touchwiz 3.0 too kills 667MHz proccy of galaxy 3 in music player(with a lot of songs) and messaging...

not able get what you mean exactly. i heard touchwiz have some integrated music player. is it so? or is it just a skin for the stock android player?

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
samsung has provided its own music player with touchwiz 3.0(galaxy 3, galaxy S and wave)...
It really tolls on slow processors...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
samsung has provided its own music player with touchwiz 3.0(galaxy 3, galaxy S and wave)...
It really tolls on slow processors...

it'll. just 256Mb ram & 667Mhz proccy. that also Android 2.1. it'll be interesting to see how 2.2 + 512Mb ram + slightly slower proccy fairs against G3 in day to day life.

Top Bottom