Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Microsoft will no longer endorse AuoPatchers.

Microsoft will only allow updates to be downloaded from its own servers.

*www.neowin.net/

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
SAD news.... this is a pretty bad move... :( AutoPatcher Roxxxx !! :( as really easy to deploy new Installation in oranisations where you have many PCs and its really hard to run AutoUpdate to download 200 + MB for each systems on work group... :lol:

din

Tribal Boy
Sad news :(

Really really bad........

But I think they will be back. Atleast some one will continue, may be in some Swedish servers as suggested by some in the comments section !

csczero

Journeyman
never used autopatecher ...... ive seen my friend doin it , it was taking hell of a time to patch .....

mavihs

Techie By Heart
wat about people who r using pirated version?????? half of the people i no use pirated version. how i'm i going to help them to update now. Even some people hoe don't hav a internet connection on 1 of there PC's. how they going to update????????? =(

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
dude.. you support pirated versions and then are angry on MS for not providing support for pirated versions??!!! lol... :D :D i dunno what to say!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
ƒire$eeker said:
wat about people who r using pirated version?????? half of the people i no use pirated version.

Pirated editions are the reason MS blocked Autopatcher cos it allowed user to update without any WGA check (the one in Windows Update/Download center)

how i'm i going to help them to update now.

Each & every update available by Windows Update is also available as a standalone EXE. Thats how I distribute to my friends using XP/Vista. Just click on the update name for more details, or google for the KBxxxxxx number & download from thre.

chinmay

Journeyman
gx_saurav said:
Pirated editions are the reason MS blocked Autopatcher cos it allowed user to update without any WGA check (the one in Windows Update/Download center)

Surprisingly MS didn't have a problem with WGA check. See what a lame excuse they gave when asked by Steven Parker of Neowin :-
I asked the representative if Windows Genuine Advantage had anything to do with it and he categorically told me this was not the case, he added that Windows Update for pre-Vista versions of Windows can now be accessed using Firefox and that the concern at Microsoft had more to do with the possible malicious code that could be redistributed with certified Microsoft updates.

I just tried opening Windows Update on firefox and unsurprisingly:-

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

gx_saurav said:
Each & every update available by Windows Update is also available as a standalone EXE. Thats how I distribute to my friends using XP/Vista. Just click on the update name for more details, or google for the KBxxxxxx number & download from thre.

Yes, standalone exe files are available for long time for multiple PCs but I don't think anyone except really dedicated sysadmins and fanboys like you can sit and download a few 100 updates one by one and then create a slipstreamed CD out of it.

Autopatcher had so many other required add-ons (like power toys, IE, Messengers, useful registry edits) integrated as well. I only wonder how many MS employees must be using autopatcher in their own house?

I am talking about convenience here. How easy was it to put the latest release of Autopatcher in DAP, let it download for a night on my snail speed EGPRS connection, install it in the morning and your system is fully updated.

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
GX...

yes every single update is available as exe but dont you think its a pain to obtain those at 1st time ??

yes for u and me there is MSDN/TechNet shipment to rescue... but think of those majority who need to download one by one...

Also not just obtaning, installing them one by one ??

I understand there is n-Lite... but not for every one its actually possible to carry out one n-lite installation, as install Windows + AutoPatcher thats seems much easy... rather once again obtaining the stand alone exe's... and we are not talking about one or even 10 :(

Autopatcher had so many other required add-ons (like power toys, IE, Messengers, useful registry edits) integrated as well. I only wonder how many MS employees must be using autopatcher in their own house?

I agree here... AutoPatcher was just not Windows update but rather complete package !!!!

GX said:

wasnt this the same what AutoPatcher was doing :(

In theoritical base they were doing the same.... you were just giving it to 10 or 20 people where as AutoPatcher was giving it to 2 million i suppose...

But in that case you are too in violation of MS update distribution :lol: :lol: :lol:

even u dont ask your frnd to run AVS Scan before installing the updates where AutpPatcher always asked every one to make sure AVS is turned on and upto date before even downloading their Patcher !!!

:(

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This allowed pirated version of Windows to be updated. Microsoft's Terms of Service states that only MS can distribute the update packages for Windows, not anyone else....they were Violating the terms of use & sorry this is the way it is & it should be. I don't find anything wrong in this decision of MS.

chinmay said:
Yes, standalone exe files are available for long time for multiple PCs but I don't think anyone except really dedicated sysadmins and fanboys like you can sit and download a few 100 updates one by one and then create a slipstreamed CD out of it

If you have genuine Windows, then simply use Windows Update & it will download all the required updates automatically & the download size will be lower then downloading each exe.

Slipstreaming is not required. I guess you don't know about the "Security release ISO" which MS releases every month for us fanboys & System admins, no one needs to sit & download 100 updates one by one.

Autopatcher had so many other required add-ons (like power toys, IE, Messengers, useful registry edits) integrated as well.

These tweaks & registry edits if break Windows then people start blaming MS, when it is not there fault. I hope u know how many support calls MS gets due to such incidents.

Again, MS is only supporting whats official & what they made & the way they made. Nothing wrong in that....after installing, you are free to screw your Windows OS the way u like. Just don't blame MS if it doesn't work.

I am talking about convenience here. How easy was it to put the latest release of Autopatcher in DAP, let it download for a night on my snail speed EGPRS connection, install it in the morning and your system is fully updated.

The monthly security update ISO will really impress u, try it.

yes every single update is available as exe but dont you think its a pain to obtain those at 1st time ??

Like I said, look at monthly ISO. Also using Windows Update is even more advised cos then it only downloads the updated dll or exe resulting in far lower download size

Also not just obtaning, installing them one by one ??

Again, Windows Update will automatically download & install them for u. Whats the problem in that.
wasnt this the same what AutoPatcher was doing :sad:

Yup, but it was also allowing non-genuine Pirated versions, which believe me or not...must be a reason for this action of MS.
But in that case you are too in violation of MS update distribution :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope, I only distribute updated which don't require WGA check. :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ no point in arguing wid GX. and the thing that its coz the pirated windows versions cud be updated is simply too lame an excuse!

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
hey gx,

What abt me??? I'm in remote area. I don't have an Unlimited Broadband connection. How could I update my XP ??
And why I should BUY an update CD every month which they(M$) should provide me FREE for support ???

infra_red_dude said:
^^^ no point in arguing wid GX.
:D:D

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
shirish_nagar said:
BAD... BAD..... VERY BAD !!!

Now, how could I update my XP on Dial-up ??? :-(

Yes,right.I too use dialup.:(
Also i format the pc every 6 months,now what will i do?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Again, Windows Update will automatically download & install them for u. Whats the problem in that.

GX yaar Bandwidth is the main issue with autoupdate...

at Home systems Installation once a 4 or 6 month wont give u much problem..

Think of a place where u have more than 10 or 20 systems... once again u have to follow MS New updates all the time for those stand alone updates...

and once some one is not using auto update thinks comes down to Manuall installation :( which once again a pain with some many of those :(

AutoUpdate is the choise at any day as even after Auto Patcher Office and few MS product updates needs to be obtain which one would do using Auto Update... at that case download will be around 20MB MAX but to update a system from XP SP2 stage is really hard considring our Bandwidth :|

Auto Update is the choise any day but our bandwidth condition really makes it hard to use it :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom