Microsoft announces Outlook.com as Hotmail's successor

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Microsoft is billing Outlook.com as a new free mail service that pulls features from Hotmail and Exchange. It is designed for personal/consumer use; Microsoft continues to position Outlook as its business e-mail client. Outlook.com is integrated with Windows and Office, and can pull in Twitter, Facebook, Gmail and LinkedIn contacts. The new mail client has the Metro look and feel. And it is providing users with more granular control over which ads they see and where they see them.
Those who've been following the increasingly regular feature updates that the Hotmail team has added to the service will be familiar with Outlook.com's features. The ability to view previews of attached photos; to "sweep" unwanted messages in bulk; to weed out "gray" (junk) mail more easily; and to access Microsoft's Office Web Apps (the Webified versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote) from inside mail are all part of Outlook.com. (I'm not really sure which unique Exchange features are part of Outlook.com. Anyone?)
Microsoft is providing new Outlook.com users with 7 GB of free cloud storage through SkyDrive. (If you already have a SkyDrive account, I don't believe you get an extra 7 GB added to your total available storage if you sign up for Outlook.com, however.) As it has been doing with Hotmail, Microsoft is trying to wean Outlook.com users from sending attachments. Instead, the focus is on saving files, photos and other content to the cloud, with "smart layouts" in email messages showing recipients what they can see via links and/or downloads.

On Windows devices, including Windows 8 and Windows RT tablets and PCs, users will have the option of choosing which mail client they want to use (when they click on the Mail app). One of the permitted choices will be Outlook.com. And on other mobile devices and phones -- not just Windows Phones, but any phone that supports Exchange ActiveSync -- Outlook.com will be a supported mail option, as well.

For those wondering about Skype integration, especially given this week's news regarding Google replacing Gmail video chat with Google+ Hangouts, Microsoft is dangling the promise of, at some point in the future, being able to launch Skype video calls from inside Outlook.com inboxes without having to use the Skype app. (It sounds like the ability to use Outloo.com plus video calling from the Web will be another option here.)

Microsoft is not commenting on when it expects Outlook.com will advance beyond the test stage. As of today, it is available in preview form. Those who already have @hotmail.com and/or @live.com email addresses that they want to move to @outlook.com can click "Upgrade to Outlook.com" in the options menu. Those who do not have existing Microsoft consumer mail accounts with those addresses can sign up for a new @outlook.com email address via www.outlook.com.

Sources :

Microsoft introduces Outlook.com, Hotmail's planned successor | ZDNet

Outlook Blog - Introducing Outlook.com - Modern Email for the Next Billion Mailboxes

My Firstlook : The UI looks pretty sleek, no nonsense with the Metro UI doing the rounds.

thatsashok

peace panda
I like the UI very much.

Its just plain simple.

People can get a @outlook.com email address which can act as a forwarding address to your old account.

But current hotmail/live users using email adresses on WP7 phones are warned not to change to the new id

Tech&ME

Banned
hmmm.... Just testing the new outlook.com , its so nice and clean.

It is much like Hotmail with a new UI. What always bugs me is the ads on the right hand side in Hotmail, hope to get rid of ads in this new UI.

Oh ! just discoverd, its still in BETA, SkyDrive and Calendar are still in LIVE.com

Also, I noticed that the interface of Outlook is more towards TOUCH based, feels like you can touch the icons to work your way through the emails. :)

Last edited:

noob

Cyborg Agent
Google+ , Outlook.com ..sameguy :) Both getting just signups :D

UI is better than hotmail but still welcome back to windows 95 UI :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
lol...wtf

You've reached the daily limit for creating Microsoft accounts. Please wait a day and try to sign up again or contact support for assistance.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I like the Compose Window, it's minimalist, functional and most of all easy on the eye.

I still prefer Mail Clients than any web interface though. :)

Top Bottom