Micro USB Mobile Charger Query

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
These days, a standard have been followed by mobile manufactures to bring out the chargers with a micro USB interface. Making life of their customer hell lot easier, since it doesn't matter now if I use a micro usb charger of my LG's Android phone with a HTC's windows phone. Since the charger can be used interchangeably on both devices. If that wasn't enough, we can even use the same cable to charge through the USB interface of a PC which also acts as a data transfer cable.

My doubt are the following:

1. Can interchanging chargers of a device with another, could cause any problem? Is this not recommended for some reason?

2. Can we use any charger, even the local (seemingly) ones like of Genius or Griffin etc.. to charge any phone which support charging from a micro usb?

3. Why don't I see charger's from some brands like LG, and HTC on the shopping portals like Flipkart and Letsbuy? Links: List on Flipkart , List on Letsbuy.

So, is it safe to assume, that getting chargers of a particular (read renowned) brand are difficult and hence can buy any of the other brands?

Lastly please suggest any budget charger from the list provided above.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sarath

iDota
There was a ruling in the EU that all phones should use a common micro USB charging port. This was done to reduce wastage and make chargers usable with other brands.

So it is safe to assume yes. Apple was not present in the consortium which is why they still don't have micro USB charging.

Just for reading: originally it was decided that mini USB would be used. But since Motorola was already using it, it was voted against to avoid an unfair advantage to them. The top phone manufacturer then, Nokia, released N85 and N96 with micro USB charging. Although the n96 had an extra thin pin charging port also. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
T1. Can interchanging chargers of a device with another, could cause any problem? Is this not recommended for some reason?

using Samsung charger as my LG charger drains battery instead of charging.

2. Can we use any charger, even the local (seemingly) ones like of Genius or Griffin etc.. to charge any phone which support charging from a micro usb?

the chargers we get from reputed companies have some kind of safety mechanism. like max current it allows to pass. So we can if battery is big, it takes more time but with local chargers there is a risk of damaging the phone.

3. Why don't I see charger's from some brands like LG, and HTC on the shopping portals like Flipkart and Letsbuy? Links: List on Flipkart , List on Letsbuy.

So, is it safe to assume, that getting chargers of a particular (read renowned) brand are difficult and hence can buy any of the other brands?

what happened? your LG charger too went kaput?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
No! My charger us fine! :D
I am looking for a charger for the phone HTC Mozart.

Besides I would like to know the alternatives in advance, if there comes any day when it stops working.
(Precaution is better than cure. :)) )

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
the chargers we get from reputed companies have some kind of safety mechanism. like max current it allows to pass. So we can if battery is big, it takes more time but with local chargers there is a risk of damaging the phone.

And that's the exact reason, why I am skeptical about buying a charger for the Mozart. I don't know which would be good from that list, or the closest.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
well go to any Samsung service center and ask them for a new charger. They should have space. Even if duplicate, will at least have some safety features.

I can though charge my iPod Touch on a LG optimus charges with my USB cable. No problems.

USB charging is terribly slow for some mobiles. in my case it'll take 24hrs to charge fully.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
well go to any Samsung service center and ask them for a new charger. They should have space. Even if duplicate, will at least have some safety features.

So I don't have to take care of terms like watt, voltage mAh etc...?
I will try that.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
well, many have used this. so it shouldn't matter much. just charging times can be long or short. nothing else should be affected.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@vyom I think everything should work fine :wink:

USB charging is terribly slow for some mobiles. in my case it'll take 24hrs to charge fully.

strange. My is done in few hours although slower that normal charging.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, Samsung Service Center was closed today (because of Sunday), but I was able to get a Black Berry charger for Rs. 550.

*i.imgur.com/7FZn1.jpg?1

It was difficult for me to find a charger with a USB on one end that can act as a data cable too, but at last I found one. And since I couldn't have compromised on quality, I ended up purchasing a charger of renowned brand.

Thanks for all the help! :)

Sarath

iDota
Just see the amp rating etc. I interchange only if they are the same.

I gave my Nokia N85 charger to a friend to charge her BB for a month or so.

Top Bottom