Meddling the Middle Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
^ ^ :D dude.. you can not be serious.. every1 has said what they have to (at least in a forum that is what we can do) :lol:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
and that is why the politicians get away because they know all opposition from the general public and especially the middle class is gonna last for a few weeks and then all our gonna go back to their work/books/kitchens and thats that
You forgot OS Wars :))

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
As sometime earlier pointed out, this thread is indeed dying..........
if not for me this thread would have died much earlier :p

and I cant perpetually post just for the sake of arguing.. a lot of good arguments have come out of this thread esp from mediator, infra, slugger, gx, grudge, legolas, confused, gautam, praka, imav etc instead of just name-calling like a few indulged in ;)

and that is why the politicians get away because they know all opposition from the general public and especially the middle class is gonna last for a few weeks and then all our gonna go back to their work/books/kitchens and thats that

thats all we can do wat else you expected :p

_

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Err.. I'm a bit confused. Do you say that coz this reservation we change our field? Or do you mean to say that every individual who aspires to be an Engineer and study at inst. like IITs has a "hidden" designer in him?

Don't get confused, all I said was that do what you want to do & what u r capable of doing.

What if the guy is confident of making a career in Engg, yet loses out the seat by 1 mark due to this?

Try in the 2nd best institute...alternates are always there.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^
good for a film :p not practical in real life.

the only thing practically that can be done is to help the homeless and poor illiterate people to get education, instead of running madly after high paying jobs, start a company and give employment to many :D

and instead of blaming just about everyone that we can point our hands at, we should try to discipline ourselves first.

how many of us have the guts to report someone who is copying in our class ?? they might be our best friend
how many of us give a damn when someone is involved in an accident right b4 our eyes ??
how many of us have guts to complain against a professor/lecturer when they dont teach properly ??
how many of us really throw crap in the dustbin instead of the road ??
how many of us have filed a single police complaint (ok might be a gruelling experience) or used the right to information act even once ??
how many of us ........... I can go on asking endlessly....

and truth is even I dont follow many of the above seriously.. once I reported copying to a lecturer in our college, he said its assessment test only no.. they cant do that in the semester exams :( but we have equal weightage for 3 assessments (50 marks) and end semester exams (50 marks)... a LOT of people copy these days in my coll.. even the best of the class copy when asked say tht they verify answers... all CCD cameras are a joke.. just an example of what I'm trying to convey

a few of the above things will be more practical than rang de basanti ;)

_

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
how many of us have the guts to report someone who is copying in our class ?? they might be our best friend
how many of us give a damn when someone is involved in an accident right b4 our eyes ??
how many of us have guts to complain against a professor/lecturer when they dont teach properly ??
how many of us have filed a single police complaint (ok might be a gruelling experience) or used the right to information act even once ??
[Offtopic] Except the first thing :)) I follow the rest! [/Offtopic]

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

I have done all of these....

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
bhai agar main aisa karunga toh mera kya hoga :lol:
hmmm, true havnt done anything havnt seen a lot happening
have 2 professors fired ;)
depends where i am ;)
i did when i lost my sim card :D

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^
no mood man :D

and I guess saurav bhai saw this ad :p

*img138.imageshack.us/img138/4687/lolmathnn7.jpg

a good ad that copies one of the funny images that we receive in the mail fwds :D :lol:

_

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I believed in doing my work honestly till college, so there was no point in b!tching abt if someone else is copying, instead I sometime helped with tid-bits of intofrmation. But now in college I rarely go by honesty :D

First I would like to help the victim then if he is safe my next priority will be the doers, but I think "hum sirf beemar ka ilaaj kar sakte hai, beemari ka nahi"

Yeah I have complained abt some teachers/professors but it was a bitter experience for me and the teacher/professor too.

I don't eat much outside, but if i do i will keep the wrapper in my pocket if there ar no dustbins around and the wrapper in not that big. Else I have to throw that.

No police complaint as I live in Army area so everything gets sorted out by Army rules :D Last priority is Police

slugger

Banned
sorry for budging in late, but I've been hearing/reading people opposing reservation on the grounds that the peron who secures less marks and comes in reservation will be ostricised by the General category students. he will always be sniggered upon and looked down upon by the others because he/she has come in through the quota route. and that is supposed to make him feel bad and supress his progress :rolleyes:

But tell me something, do you, even for for one second, think this guy will find your polished style of taunting and boycotting even 1 bit offensive. I think not. :)

This guy lives in a chawl-type housing where he has got to wait in a que to take a morning dump. Probably has to wake up at 0500 to stand in line to fill up water from the only Corporation tap shared by almost 50-60 families. He has grown up in an evironment where it is not uncommon for people to scream at the top of their voice and hurl the choicest of abuses while arguing. He watches the men coming home drunk from work after blowing up a major portion of his salary on booze and gambling and then beating up the wife. he sees his friends going astray in bad company.

this seat in the Engg college is the light at the end of his very long tunnel. his route to deliverace from the hell-hole of the life he has to live.

And how, may I ask, is your taunts and boycotts affect him as a student. Forget about the exams and professors. No way in hell would any professor ever discriminate among his/her stuents on grounds of caste creed or religion (1 guy in our class gets to leave .5 hours early every Friday). As for exams, not sure about yours, but here we just put in our Exam numbers on the answer sheets - No names

That leaves only the other students. that too should not make ay difference to a determined reservation student from a poor family. You refuse to give him the journal writeups - he takes it directly from the proffy. you refuse to give him the assignment Qs - he goes directly to the proffy for it (actually put up on the notice board here). You refuse to ask him to accompany you Inox, CCD or weekend boozing - do you think he would agree even if you did :). And he attends all practicals just to ensure that he does not have to ask for the readings.

I find it very shocking and sad that you treat the (economically) poor quota student the way you described it. Because save for one, caste never really is a factor for us when interacting.

The condition described above is very similar to what one of my friends lives in (except for the husband drinking part - that i assumed). He joined college through the quota route. His marks

F.E = early 50s (40 in all theory and the rest internal practical marks)
S.E = mid 50s
T.E = First class (61.x)
B.E first Sem = 63.x

with final year projects being marked liberally, he has a high chance of scoring a distinction in the final year. although all he now needs to do is mantain his First class

This Saturday he got recruited by one of India's leading Mfg of Material handling eqpts. will be recieving a starting salary of 2.1 lakhs pa. FYI his caste or quota played absolutely no role in him getting his job. sure his social/commn skills aren't polished enuff nor is he very well aware of current affairs, but he is as good, as sincere, even more hardwrking as any Open Category student

And he had studied hard and built a good founation during his 4 yrs to acquire the skills that will be needed to work in that Co. Best thing is, while the other are going crazy trying to balance GRE TOEFL IELTS CAT along with their project, he is enjoying the best days of his life with an assuared job and no intention of leaving India for studies with his own money. In fact it is going to be this guy who will contribute more to india's progeress than any of us living in oregon, michigan, new york, louisiana or wherever it is that we are dreaming of going.

Sure I too would love to see reservations on economic criteria. But if the present system does not allow that, the second best option is exclusion of the Creamy layer. and since this has been implemented (or should be implemented), I think it is fair enuff (i had mentioned the word quite satisfied)

It would be highly feudalistic of you to oppose the entry of a economically challenged youth through the quota route.

@ infra_red
d00d the 4-5 year old Qs reference was not made wrt to the quota thing. it was more a reflection of the current Ed system and how anybody can clear engg xams - interest in the branch notwithstanding :)

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
dude ur missing the entire point of giving upto 50% reservations :oops: theres no point in replying to such a long post with another long post

mediator

Technomancer
slugger said:
But tell me something, do you, even for for one second, think this guy will find your polished style of taunting and boycotting even 1 bit offensive. I think not.

This guy lives in a chawl-type housing where he has got to wait in a que to take a morning dump. Probably has to wake up at 0500 to stand in line to fill up water from the only Corporation tap shared by almost 50-60 families. He has grown up in an evironment where it is not uncommon for people to scream at the top of their voice and hurl the choicest of abuses while arguing. He watches the men coming home drunk from work after blowing up a major portion of his salary on booze and gambling and then beating up the wife. he sees his friends going astray in bad company.
1 bit offensive? That one 1 bit might turn ito a gigabit. Muslims hate when media speaks that ISLAM is associated with terrorism, people of bihar and others have started taking "bihari" literally as an abuse even though others don't mean it, people in UP, delhi etc kill each other even at the slightest provocation. Even a beggar wud howl, if u lecture and abuse him all the time. All I can say is live in the Sun and face the reality.

slugger said:
this seat in the Engg college is the light at the end of his very long tunnel. his route to deliverace from the hell-hole of the life he has to live.
Sure, let us abolish the primary education, make "gull danda" as the primary part of those 15-17 years and then say for graduation, "Oh, we can do it in the nick of time. Bring it on......I see light at the end of the tunnel"! :oops:

slugger said:
I find it very shocking and sad that you treat the (economically) poor quota student the way you described it. Because save for one, caste never really is a factor for us when interacting.
Either ur english is very poor or u don't understand things clearly. I and AFAIK, other anti-reservation souls here, never said poor students are treated like that, but the reservation tagged ones. There's a world of difference between the two!! Learn why reservation started and if those OBCs/SCs/STs are really financially poor and why reserve seats in IIMs since after graduation, a person cannot be called "educationally backwards"! Are u telling to skip graduation also and come straight to post graduation thru reservation. Hell, I guess then in PH.D too we shud have reservations. Forget that, IMHO, NASA shud resverve seats for INDIANS and people shud get their thru reservation!! Duh, I also need a chance to be on the top of world and learn the advanced stuff in a shortcut way. :oops:

@slugger : Learn to read the previous replies, slowly, ponder and understand them so as to save the tremendous amount of repeatitions that may follow eventually.......or if u still by any chance don't undertsand even after severe meditation on them, then quote em line by line and then ask or reply to them! :)

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
^^ slugger

didnt read the post any ways.. ;)...

but u should think soemthings else....

1.if the type of guy who wanted the light at the end of tunnel and had to avoid waiting to take a dump or get water...he'll be smart enough to get to the place he wants without the reservation..that deserving..

2.if he wants the push of reservation..that is charity and he doesnot deserve to be their...

3.how many of us didnt get into this institutions....i kno i didnt...do i complain..no..but i dream tht my child could atleast get in...

4. only the deserving deserve this seat...not the undermined or elite...

5. can u imagine a ppl like tht who took everything for granted or oppressed in a position like u said ..... theyll be pissed at the very ppl who undermined them...mind u its true....

6. yeas i am only opposing this coz the percentage have gone up ....

English used to say god save the king and queen...now its time to say

GOD PLEASE SAVE OUR NATION......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom