Master's in the US : A Guide

nix

well, I guess I've troubled you enough now. C'mon guys where are the questions? I'm feeling lonely here. :razz:

Thanks a ton, I know you must be very busy but I really appreciate you taking some time out to clear my doubts. I have some time now and looks like I have to several things at the same time like studying for GRE and also preparing documents like SOP etc..

Regards,

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well, I guess I've troubled you enough now. C'mon guys where are the questions? I'm feeling lonely here. :razz:

Thanks a ton, I know you must be very busy but I really appreciate you taking some time out to clear my doubts. I have some time now and looks like I have to several things at the same time like studying for GRE and also preparing documents like SOP etc..

Regards,
Oh... please feel free to ask questions. I would be glad to answer. When I came here I didn't know anybody whom I could ask questions. I had to find my own answers. I know how difficult and frustrating it can be. So when you have somebody to ask questions to don't give up that opportunity and make the most out of the other person's experiences!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I think its time to chase my dreams now. I can never do without MS in US.
I started a bit late, infact now i have zero confidence level of scoring a better score.

Can you help me with some study material to gauge my level ? A weekly plan would be helpful too. What could be the best time to give gre in 2011. And when would i be able apply at the earliest after my results.

Also, I would like to do MS in embedded programming (linux, kernel etc). But I am from IT background. Is it possible? What are all univ popular in embedded field?

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I think its time to chase my dreams now. I can never do without MS in US.
I started a bit late, infact now i have zero confidence level of scoring a better score.

Can you help me with some study material to gauge my level ? A weekly plan would be helpful too. What could be the best time to give gre in 2011. And when would i be able apply at the earliest after my results.

Also, I would like to do MS in embedded programming (linux, kernel etc). But I am from IT background. Is it possible? What are all univ popular in embedded field?
I just googled for GRE materials online and prepared. Also if you can get Kaplan and Princeton Review materials from somebody (acquaintance/friend) then that should help.

Also, as I've explained before if you want to get into Fall 2011 batch, September/October 2010 would be a good time to give your GRE, TOEFL. For the next year, increment all years by one! :D

Yes, you can switch into Embedded programming. That is a sought-after area now. The future sure looks embedded. It doesn't matter what background you have, you just need to have the interest and the zest to work towards your goal. I was a purely electrical guy after my Bachelor's but now I've completely switched branches and am into design and architecture of embedded GPUs. It all depends on your interest, your abilities and the your commitment. If you have those, close your eyes and apply to that programme! :)

As for universities, all the universities I'd listed above for CS also hold good for embedded systems.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^Thanks for the reply.

I am thinking of giving exam around feb 2011 as I am too busy with work in company. Also, GRE pattern will change from Aug 2011. What do you suggest.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^Thanks for the reply.

I am thinking of giving exam around feb 2011 as I am too busy with work in company. Also, GRE pattern will change from Aug 2011. What do you suggest.
When do you plan to apply?

Also I have no clue about the pattern change etc. What does ETS say about this?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^ i'd like to give exam in feb 2011 (not anytime sooner). Tell me ur opinion about it and when will i be able to join ?

I just read over few websites that pattern will change from aug 2011. Though havent corroborated the same.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^ i'd like to give exam in feb 2011 (not anytime sooner). Tell me ur opinion about it and when will i be able to join ?

I just read over few websites that pattern will change from aug 2011. Though havent corroborated the same.
Feb 2011.... You can then apply for Spring 2012. You cannot apply for Fall 2011.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^ :/

Ok, so for spring 2012 how much can I extend the date of exam from feb 2011 ? Because I want to get as much time as I can squeeze in.

Thanks. I will be 25 in 2012 :(

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^ :/

Ok, so for spring 2012 how much can I extend the date of exam from feb 2011 ? Because I want to get as much time as I can squeeze in.

Thanks. I will be 25 in 2012 :(
The rule of thumb is that you should give GRE at least about 10 months prior to the semester you intend to apply for.

For e.g. if you want to apply for Fall (which begins in August), it's a good idea to give GRE by October, the previous year.

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
hey infra,
i hope u dont mind clearing a few of my queries too...
1>I am doing my 5th sem of ECE currently. I intend to pursue an MS preferably in VLSI/Microelectronics. I did a bit of scouting and the from what I found out the job prospects for Microelectronics in US seems to be relatively worse among other branches. Can you shed some light on this?

2>Are job prospects after graduation a 'prime' concern, or should I go with what I really like? (I havent yet done the VLSI course yet, but from my past interests and performances I am quite sure I will fare well. I have done a couple of small hardware projects. So I have some hands on experience with Digital Electronics, Microcontrollers, PCB Design, etc. Also on the other hand my statistics is kind of weak and hence Wireless Communication seems like a no go)

3>Please can you tell me any other major electronic hardware related specialization that are widely offered?

4>What do the tier 2 colleges, say from 15-50th look for in terms of research experience? Does it need to be absolutely ground-breaking or are any average to good projects with a hint of some potential good enough??

Last edited:
OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey infra,
i hope u dont mind clearing a few of my queries too...
1>I am doing my 5th sem of ECE currently. I intend to pursue an MS preferably in VLSI/Microelectronics. I did a bit of scouting and the from what I found out the job prospects for Microelectronics in US seems to be relatively worse among other branches. Can you shed some light on this?

2>Are job prospects after graduation a 'prime' concern, or should I go with what I really like? (I havent yet done the VLSI course yet, but from my past interests and performances I am quite sure I will fare well. I have done a couple of small hardware projects. So I have some hands on experience with Digital Electronics, Microcontrollers, PCB Design, etc. Also on the other hand my statistics is kind of weak and hence Wireless Communication seems like a no go)

3>Please can you tell me any other major electronic hardware related specialization that are widely offered?

4>What do the tier 2 colleges, say from 15-50th look for in terms of research experience? Does it need to be absolutely ground-breaking or are any average to good projects with a hint of some potential good enough??
1) The only area where you have jobs now is software. There are absolutely no jobs in the hardware unless of course you have exhibited exceptional projects and experience or have a couple of patents to your name! Even with all that, the job prospects are in this order:

Physical Design (almost no jobs without 5-6 years exp.) < Digital Design (very very few) < Systems (very few) < Software - Low Level (some jobs) <<< Software - High Level (plenty of jobs)

2) I cannot answer that question. Are you rich enough that you can afford your education abroad even if you don't get a job? Do you want to complete your education and return back? It's up to you!

3) Embedded systems is hhhhhhot, atm. Wireless communication is another evergreen stream.

4) There is no "hint" here. The selection committee does not spend time evaluating all that. You need to show what you've achieved for Tier 2 universities, your projects that are your claim to fame, some research affiliation with NITs, IITs, IISc etc., some projects you might've done in collaboration with these institutions, professors etc.

Last edited:

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
1) The only area where you have jobs now is software. There are absolutely no jobs in the hardware unless of course you have exhibited exceptional projects and experience or have a couple of patents to your name! Even with all that, the job prospects are in this order:

Physical Design (almost no jobs without 5-6 years exp.) < Digital Design (very very few) < Systems (very few) < Software - Low Level (some jobs) <<< Software - High Level (plenty of jobs)
kind of a bummer! :sad: is it really that bad? and with the hardware jobs being shifted to taiwan, etc it doesnt look as if it will get better even 3-4 yrs down the line, does it?:sad:

2) I cannot answer that question. Are you rich enough that you can afford your education abroad even if you don't get a job? Do you want to complete your education and return back? It's up to you!
Let me rephraze my question: What I meant to ask was that if I am able to really excel in my field of study and work my ass off to be the best, will I still end up without a job if I opt for certain non-HOT fields related to hardware. (Guess u already answered it the previous point)

3) Embedded systems is hhhhhhot, atm. Wireless communication is another evergreen stream.
thanks.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Let me rephraze my question: What I meant to ask was that if I am able to really excel in my field of study and work my ass off to be the best, will I still end up without a job if I opt for certain non-HOT fields related to hardware. (Guess u already answered it the previous point)
Of course. If you can prove yourself nobody is stopping any company from giving you a job :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Guys, registrations for 2011 will open at the end of October 2010.
So book your seats early to get a preferred date and location.

Great !

nix

Anirudh, I think you need to update your blog post, you have said that, for toefl, one needs to list score recipients (universities) 20 days prior to the toefl test, but its actually one day. The link is:
TOEFL: Internet-based Test: Send Scores

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^business domain ?

But I'd say "Don't waste your time in doing things you don't like".

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Anirudh, I think you need to update your blog post, you have said that, for toefl, one needs to list score recipients (universities) 20 days prior to the toefl test, but its actually one day. The link is:
TOEFL: Internet-based Test: Send Scores
I probably need to re-word that sentence. What I meant what was, you need to be clear on which Universities you intend to send the scores to; so that you can take advantage of the free score reporting :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I have a query. I have given my GRE few days back, scored V:670 Q:780. And now I am contemplating about whether I apply in Spring 2012 or Fall 2012. Obviously I am leaning towards Fall 2012. But I have already sent scores to 5 universities after the exam ended. So do I have to send scores again to universities and tell them that I want to apply in Fall 2012 ??

Top Bottom