Mac corner

Would you use a Mac if it costs same as a PC ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Zombie get a life (pun intended :wink: ) rather than trying to start a Mac Vs PC flame war.

Personally I've used both, and I find the PC platform far superior in usability just for the sheer number of apps available, freeware and otherwise. Growing up with PC's and being stuck with Mac's in my university (in a room with free 1.5MBPS internet, all the PC's used to be occupied when I entered the building) wasn't a memorable experience.

Anyway, that doesn't mean Macs are inferior or whatever. Just not my cup of tea. Different strokes for different folks. Get it? Good. Now, go get a life.

EDIT: Add

Regarding you're original query - NO, I would not use a Mac even if it were free. YES, I would use it if it had the the same number of available apps and games and a developer community as large as that for PC.

I'm a great fan of Apple's design philosophy and marketing strategy. I've even studied it as part of my Design For Excellence course. How else would they turn an inferior (as compared to Creative) Mp3 player iPod into a winner.

Cheers,
Keith

borg

In the zone
sorry to say, but Microsoft is way ahead, some one else in the place of Jobs could have made a differece, he runs it like a family business

In what ways is MS ahead?. Marketshare? Profits?. What difference does that makes to us?. We are users, not stockholders. We are interested in a good product, not how much money, the company makes. And as for Steve running Apple as a family business, I don't know what u mean by that. Whatever it means, thank God, Steve is around.

OP
zombie

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Guys I dont intend to start a flame war. Just that I want to communicate with like minded people & want to know opinion of others. I thank digit for providing this common platform. Though I am an ardent Mac fan, I cant simply afford it. May be thats why I attracted to it more than PC. Human psychology. :twisted:

BTW Keith where are the screenshots. Weekend approaching. Upload some more.

goobimama

 Macboy
Nice to see a mac section in the digit forums.

My dad has bought the iBook G4 and I get to use it now and then. It is a wonderful piece and Tiger really kicks azz.

I can't wait to get my hands on the iMac G5 in April (Some stuff is gonna happen in my finances and I'm gonna get the cash only then..)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
goobi better wait for june if ur waiting till april.. new x86 macs are expected at WWDC in June, 06...

nix

hey gx&keith what you saying...creative zen micro better than ipod.. if it was that good then ppl would have bought it right?...i mean, how can ipod become so popular if its not as good as creative's zen micro.?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
i realy wounder....

why MAC OSes r hardware based?? why they dont come like windows or linux system??

asemble ur own hardware & then just put ur MAC OS over it... why we dont have that option?? why do we have buy a whole system....

:roll:

certainly i am not the 1st one to wounder about or the last one... so if any one put some good bright light on this matter...

mail2and said:
goobi better wait for june if ur waiting till april.. new x86 macs are expected at WWDC in June, 06...

hmm will then we have that over writen option ??

goobimama

 Macboy

But wont that be just with the Mac mini and stuff like that? I want the iMac G5, which I think it quite nice as it is. I don't want a rubbish system when I get it. I hear the IBM PowerPC chips and systems are very efficient and powerful and also stable. They are moving to intel to cut costs and such. I want a good system, not a cheap one.

So, what do you think, should I wait or not? (Anyway, the question is about april, I think I can wait..)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Actually, Apple is converting just because they had inventory problems with IBM. The iMacs and The powermacs have had huge delays just due to lack of inventory with IBM. That is precisely why Apple opted for Intel over AMD. AMD and IBM have similar problems. With Intel, Apple will get the complete package from one source.

The G4 and G5 chips are pretty good.. infact a g4 1.4 ghz thing will give any p4 2.6 ghz processor a run for its money.

Be rest assured, the consumer line and the laptops will first get converted to intel.. so imacs, ibooks, mac mini and pbook are expected to go intel first.. the conversion to intel for imacs may be delayed..

however the mini and the lappies will get nice li'l Pentium Mz...

@saurav_cheetah: apple is a hardware company primarily. they use the PPC architecture as against x86 used in PCs. Hence, you can't assemble an apple thing for urself. I've seen somewhere that u can use off the shelf PPC components and build urself a machine capable to run OS X.. but IMO that is too much of an effort :)

adithya_spec

Broken In
hi guys
iam going to buy ipod shuffle 512mb player in rediff
shopping mall for RS 4999(EMI 1700)
is it ok buying there
if not y?and where shud i?

goobimama

 Macboy
4999 seems to be quite a nice price for the Shuffle. If you can live without the display then go ahead and buy it. The shuffle has excellent sound quality and has good battery life too!

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
YEah but you can get the nano 2gb for around 9k.. if u've got good contacts then mebbe even 8k ;)

one of my friends got it for 8k...

HellGuardian

Broken In
my pc is on a LAN, all computers here r PCs running on windows, and the servers as well(IBMs), so I wanted to know that if i buy an ibook, ill i be able to connect it to the LAN??? my coll uses cyberoam corporate client for internet connection sharing and is on domain(workgroup wrks too)...

goobimama

 Macboy
Well I set up a LAN between my PC and the mac and it worked one way. Mail2And mentioned a way so that one could use see the mac from the windows PC but I didn't feel the need. Dialup internet worked just fine....

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
I'll quote my post from another thread on this forum.

u can create a workgroup for windows to recognize mac...

go to Applications/Utilities/Directory Access.... there in SMB enter the name of the workgroup of ur windows network.

Now Go to System Preferences/Sharing and enable Windows and Personal File Sharing

from ur windoze pc... go to Start/Run and type //192.168.0.1/shortname

assuming 192.168.0.1 is the ip add of ur mac and shortname is ur account's short name...

for checking ur account's short name.. go to Sys Pref/Accounts.. and u'll get it there

Funny nuff.. on a mac u just need to enter smb://192.168.0.x(the ip add of the windows machine) and ur there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom