Mac corner

Would you use a Mac if it costs same as a PC ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Hi guys, any Mac users/fans around here. If yes, then you are at the right place. I had been using PCs for a good part of my life. But once I was introduced to Mac, I radically changed the concept of computing for me. All those who have been lucky enough to use the Mac will agree with me. So guys lets discuss Apple over here. If you have any queries about Apple products - especially iPod - feel free to ask me.

Man I just love the Macs, from the revolutionary iMac to the mighty PowerMac G5.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
We're from the same land :) Mac fan here too... :D

yeah only the ppl who hv actually used Mac will know and feel the difference....

OP
zombie

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
iPod 20GB will set you back by around 21k. I suggest instead of buying it from India, you can ask someone coming from U/UK to get it for you. In US it costs only $299. Thats a steal I think. I recently got my iPod Shuffle 1GB. iPod Photo 60GB is in pipeline. :twisted: Funny thing is our family is split into 2 camps. One that supports PC & OPFOR (ie me and my band of brothers). OPFOR is armed with iMac G5, Powerbook 17" & iPod 15GB & Shuffle. Enemy units are equipped with variety of evil PC/Notebooks. 8)

Grace

Broken In
zombie said:
iPod 20GB will set you back by around 21k. I suggest instead of buying it from India, you can ask someone coming from U/UK to get it for you. In US it costs only $299. Thats a steal I think. I recently got my iPod Shuffle 1GB. iPod Photo 60GB is in pipeline. :twisted: Funny thing is our family is split into 2 camps. One that supports PC & OPFOR (ie me and my band of brothers). OPFOR is armed with iMac G5, Powerbook 17" & iPod 15GB & Shuffle. Enemy units are equipped with variety of evil PC/Notebooks. 8)
m gettin iPod Colour 20g at 17k here

G

gxsaurav

Although it's upto U grace madam, but I suggest going for Creative Zen Micro insted of ipod, not only they are smaller then ipod, & easy to control they also cost a lot less, the 5 GB model will cost U Rs 13,000 & 5 GB is enough for songs if U ask me, it also playes wma as well as mp3, in my opinion it is better then ipod 20 GB as it costs less & is smaller, & comes in colors other then white

ECE0105

In the zone
FAscinated

Hi !

I'm very intereseted in the Mac but I unfortunately haven't seen in full blood. I would appreciate it if some one could please update me on the Imac Mini, is it a full blown comp ? Since it costs just Rs. 10,000/- (I THINK) it is perfectly in my budjet. I'm fascinated with the mac and would like to know more abt it.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Mac Mini costs 30,000 rupees in India. Yes, it is a fully-featured computer cramped in a small box :) It has the G4 1.25 ghz processor. You can equate this to Athlon 2200+ or equivalent to that. Though, Mac mini is expected to be updated soon

Mac Mini Config

PowerPc G4 1.25 Ghz/1.42 Ghz

256 Mb ddr Ram

Ati 9200 32 Mb

Dvd/Cd-rw combo

40 Gb hdd/80 Gb

The 1.25 Ghz model costs 30k while the 1.42 Ghz model costs 33k.

I'd say you should wait for a while as Mac Mini is expected to get an update soon.

OP
zombie

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Since I have spent quiet some time working on Macs, I know they are not GHz slaves like our normal PCs. I had a eMac 800MHz with 512MB RAM for work, but it was still way faster than my current HP machine with 2.8GHZ HT and 512MB RAM. It never hanged even if I used more than 20 applications at once. So with a 1.25GHz you can expect performance similar to 3.2GHz HT. My advice, if your budget permits, go for it. BTW in US the base model costs $500.

OP
zombie

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Grace said:
m gettin iPod Colour 20g at 17k here

Thats great. Is this the grey market price or the Apple dealer price ? The price I told you is from the Apple store at Forum in Bangalore. Just make sure that you purchase it from the dealer because if you purchase it from grey market, there are chances that it may be a refurbished one, though chances of refurbished one are very rare. If its OK then you can also opt for APP (Apple care Protection Plan). It covers your iPod for 2 years. This includes repairs as well as carriage.

OP
zombie

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
gxsaurav said:
Although it's upto U grace madam, but I suggest going for Creative Zen Micro insted of ipod, not only they are smaller then ipod, & easy to control they also cost a lot less, the 5 GB model will cost U Rs 13,000 & 5 GB is enough for songs if U ask me, it also playes wma as well as mp3, in my opinion it is better then ipod 20 GB as it costs less & is smaller, & comes in colors other then white

Hey buddy. Thats a good deal. But consider this. You get 15GB more for mere 4k. Moreover you can use iPod as an external HD as well. For all those who dont know, let me inform you that you can use iPod to store data just like you do with your USB HD. So iPod looks good and performs well. :idea:

OP
zombie

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Then what are we waiting for. Just move in for the kill. I mean go ahead and buy it. If you have any troubles with it, then you know whom to contact. BTW if its possible, then use it with IEEE 1394 (FireWire) port on your computer because its quiet faster than USB interface.

OP
zombie

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Thank you borg. On the official site it says 21,400 for 20GB. So Grace just make sure that you are getting the right stuff for right price. Heppy podding.

borg

In the zone
Apple is great man. I started my computing life on a Mac. But I kinda feel Apple sold its soul by switching over to Intel. Though it might be sound decision technically, it just doesn't feel right. :(

OP
zombie

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Even I was pissed when they declared they'll be switching to Intel. But it makes sense commercially & may be technically. Till now Apple has been using various chips. May be now they can bring down the prices by introducing Intel chips. I fondly remember the time when PC users were dreaming about 233MHz computers while there were models from Apple "blazing" at 350MHz thanks to the Motorola processors. Right now Mac come with G5 processors from IBM. And boy they are so powerful. Borg I havent been as lucky as you but I loved Mac from the very first time I saw its pic. I guess it was iMac colors. Fortunately I have been able to use Macs now and I am one very happy Mac user.

ECE0105

In the zone
Thanks for the information Mr. mail2me.

The Rs. 10,000/- price was given in the Digit Mag. In that 30days with gizmos section.

Could U also tell me the different applications provided with the MAC MINI.
I would like to play games & edit phots & videos on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom