Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

rdx_halo

In the zone
Simple : If read/write speed is important for you, get a class 10 card.
If you don't care about speed & just need the extra space, get a class 4 card. ;)

But does Lumia 520 use class 10 speed or it just downgrades it to class 6 or 4 ? I think one user has written that it downgrades.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
But does Lumia 520 use class 10 speed or it just downgrades it to class 6 or 4 ? I think one user has written that it downgrades.

AFAIK, Class 10 or UHS is not automatically supported (It works without any issues, but may not run at the class 10 speeds). If it were I believe Nokia would have noted as much.

I repeat again - unless one has a SPECIFIC NEED to buy a class 10 card (no, using it in you L520 doesnt count as one) you are better off with a class 6/4 card.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
is amber update for l520 released?

check here *www.nokia.com/in-en/windows-phone-...7143&uid=3011113741&campid=12589&Idate=130904

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Few hrs back my friend got a demo piece of Lumia 520 at 7k [with 11 mnths co. warranty & in new condition].
We are new to WP so can anyone of you recommend me some good & must required apps/games for lumia 520.

Any other thing which we should take care off??

Thanks in Advance.

EDIT: Just saw the Must Have Apps thread by gearbox.
Thanks.

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Few hrs back my friend got a demo piece of Lumia 520 at 7k [with 11 mnths co. warranty & in new condition].
We are new to WP so can anyone of you recommend me some good & must required apps/games for lumia 520.

Any other thing which we should take care off??

Thanks in Advance.

EDIT: Just saw the Must Have Apps thread by gearbox.
Thanks.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobiles-tablets/173439-must-have-apps-games-windows-phone.html

Also, turn off automatic photo upload to Skydrive under settings.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Pls clear some of my doubts
1. will amber update add up any functionality to it?
2. which games are supported both free and paid?
3. What are the payment mode to purchase game and app?
4. Is there wifi hotspot ?
5. Do we get gps and all sensors?
6. 512 mb ram will suffice or not unlike android which lags after few days and moderate apps.
7. Lack of file mgr in wp, will this hamper in any way?
8. Is resale value better? May sell it off in 6 mnths if do not like wp ecosystem.
9. Pls shed some light on nokia music.

Thanks in advance

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Pls clear some of my doubts
1. will amber update add up any functionality to it?
Yes. FM radio and 'fix' for 'others' storage bug.
2. which games are supported both free and paid?
I am not sure what you meant. A lot of games from android are missing on WP.
3. What are the payment mode to purchase game and app?
Based on credit cards, AFAIK.
4. Is there wifi hotspot ?
Yes, but not via USB tethering.
5. Do we get gps and all sensors?
Yes, all except compass. This also means that L520 doesnt support Nokia city lens app.
6. 512 mb ram will suffice or not unlike android which lags after few days and moderate apps.
Yes. 512MB is sufficient for any lag free usage. But some games and apps are out of reach because of this.
7. Lack of file mgr in wp, will this hamper in any way?
Yes, this can be a problem, especially for people who are used to the android ways.
8. Is resale value better? May sell it off in 6 mnths if do not like wp ecosystem.
No idea, but Nokias generally tend to have better resale value.
9. Pls shed some light on nokia music.
Lets you download music legally for a period of 3 months and listen to it.

Thanks in advance

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
thanks a lot pranav.
By games I meant the popular games from other platforms like temple run series, subway surfer(I read somewhere its coming on wp), nfs series and asphalt (saw an youtube video of asphalt heat gameplay on lumia 520 but could not find it on indian market )

Please confirm if I can access the music files downloaded from nokia music after 3 mnths even if I decide not subscribe for it? Will I be able to transfer that music files to other devices?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
thanks a lot pranav.
By games I meant the popular games from other platforms like temple run series, subway surfer(I read somewhere its coming on wp), nfs series and asphalt (saw an youtube video of asphalt heat gameplay on lumia 520 but could not find it on indian market )

Please confirm if I can access the music files downloaded from nokia music after 3 mnths even if I decide not subscribe for it? Will I be able to transfer that music files to other devices?

Some versions of Temple Run are available, no subway surfer, Asphalt 7 is also available.

Yes the downloaded music is DRM free and so you can keep them or copy them to other devices even after 3 months.

kaudey

Journeyman

Please be aware that music downloaded from nokia music on your phone will be of lower bit rate than downloaded on PC. I dont know if we can set the bit rate higher for phone downloads.

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
thanks a lot pranav.

Temple run 1 is presently available and so is Asphalt 7 in the store but the later is paid..

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Just confused with Huawei W1 & Lumia 520!!!

Guys do you think Huawei Ascend W1 will better than lumia 520??
Read somewhere that it will be priced around 10k but has 4gb internal memory only, no info on WIFI hotspot, W1 has led flash, front camera & better battery 1950mAH.

Microsoft has also commented that they will be reducing the prices of lumia series by $30.
Should I wait? or just get lumia 520. [btw will be getting it for 7k with 11 mnths warranty]

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Just confused with Huawei W1 & Lumia 520!!!

Guys do you think Huawei Ascend W1 will better than lumia 520??
Read somewhere that it will be priced around 10k but has 4gb internal memory only, no info on WIFI hotspot, W1 has led flash, front camera & better battery 1950mAH.

Microsoft has also commented that they will be reducing the prices of lumia series by $30.
Should I wait? or just get lumia 520. [btw will be getting it for 7k with 11 mnths warranty]

Anything with less than 8G of internal memory is an immediate FAIL from my side until the others folder stops taking up space (which is never, since MS claims that it has fixed it in GDR2 and it still takes up ~2G it seems)

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Yes. Other storage is a nightware for all WP8 users.
Adding to that, some games like Asphalt 7 will eat up 1GB of 4GB easily.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Guys please help me to download apps on my lumia 520.
I'm getting some error code while logging into my MS account [outlook] even after creating new nokia account.
0x80048264
&
8004889d

please help!
what i'm doing wrong here?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Nokia account is not needed for downloading apps.

Are you seeing this error in the app marketplace?
If yes, dont worry, just try after a couple of hours. If not, where exactly are you seeing this error?

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Yes, it was in app market as well as while using adding an account option.

I still remember before setting up any account I could download some 150mb size map of Maharashtra & Goa region.

Should I reset the phone? Will my contacts & photos will get deleted?
What pointer should I remember while resetting the phone?

Also tell me from where to select 3g & 2g data?

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yes, it was in app market as well as while using adding an account option.

I still remember before setting up any account I could download some 150mb size map of Maharashtra & Goa region.

Should I reset the phone? Will my contacts & photos will get deleted?
What pointer should I remember while resetting the phone?

Also tell me from where to select 3g & 2g data?

You couldnt possibly have setup your phone without getting an MS account. So everything in the phone (like contacts, photos - only if you choose, and apps and settings) gets uploaded to the cloud under the default account..

No need to do anything. MS store hits these errors once in a while, just wait for a few hours and it goes away.

Just to be sure, do the following.

Settings > backup > set app list + settings and messages to use backup and manually back them up.

3G vs 2G"
Settings > mobile network

Top Bottom