Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
thanks lot pranav.
Everything seems ok except other memory after an reset just had to redo all stuff.

So for selecting 3g and 2g data mobile network under setting is only option. Speed in 2g seems to be slow compared to my sony ericsson cedar j108i.

Microsoft needs to address these minor issues asap especially the major other memory issue.
Initially had thought 8gb memory would suffice me but would have to get at-least 8gb card.

Wp8 is refreshing change. Ms needs to address the issues asap then they definitely have a future.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So when is Amber update being launched for Lumia 520?
Today my dad asked that the phone have no FM? I wanted the phone to get FM before he asked. :(

Piyush

Lanaya
Ok 1 problem
In my apps menu screen, there is this alphabets showing up according to apps installed, like "a" will have all the apps starting with letter "a" and so on. How to disable this feature?

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
^ You can't.
Once the apps reach certain limit, it will be sorted alphabetically by the letters.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Guys let me know how do you protect your phone?
Which screen guard is best suited for outdoors especially in sunlight?

I got one Capdase softjacket case which had screen guard free in it but its not smooth at all, my fingers feels like sticking on it after long usage.

Can we get some quality flip case like NILLIKIN's for Lumia 520 here in India?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Guys let me know how do you protect your phone?
Which screen guard is best suited for outdoors especially in sunlight?

I got one Capdase softjacket case which had screen guard free in it but its not smooth at all, my fingers feels like sticking on it after long usage.

Can we get some quality flip case like NILLIKIN's for Lumia 520 here in India?

I use no case, just Molife's matte screen guard. Its got great touch-feel but does blur the screen a bit, has mild rainbowing and isnt the greatest when it comes to outdoor visibility. Outdoor visibility is best with no screen guard of any sort. I can vouch for that much.

it was in alphabetical order previously too, so why did this happen now?

When the list becomes too long, it needs multiple scrools to gt to the bottom, say an appname sarting with 'Y'. This is a feature to ease it up. Basically you swipe to the right, tap on the alphabet 'A' and then it opens up a alphabet grid. Then you tap on 'Y' to get to youtube.

Its the same in the default music player too, and it works brilliantly. Its one of those little things that I have now come to love.

Piyush

Lanaya
When the list becomes too long, it needs multiple scrools to gt to the bottom, say an appname sarting with 'Y'. This is a feature to ease it up. Basically you swipe to the right, tap on the alphabet 'A' and then it opens up a alphabet grid. Then you tap on 'Y' to get to youtube.

Its the same in the default music player too, and it works brilliantly. Its one of those little things that I have now come to love.

Hmm may be I'm kinda not happy with that because my list isnt that too big, think of it like having 1-2 apps under each letter, leaving some exceptions like letter n, s, etc.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Hmm may be I'm kinda not happy with that because my list isnt that too big, think of it like having 1-2 apps under each letter, leaving some exceptions like letter n, s, etc.

It adds only one row per alphabet...

In any case, recent leaks show that sorting by most used is coming up in GDR3, if I remember correctly.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Is there a way of installing .XAP file without sd card??

BTW will class 10 cards be beneficial for lumia 520?

Not unless you have a dev account.

Not really, but if you look far ahead into the future you may buy a class 10. Else a class 6 is sufficient.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Not unless you have a dev account.

Not really, but if you look far ahead into the future you may buy a class 10. Else a class 6 is sufficient.

thanks a ton bro.
So you mean to say with sd card installing .XAP apps & games is possible & I do not require dev account?? Just clarifying...

Is app transfer to sd card possible in windows phone 8 especially in lumia 520??

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So when is Amber update being launched for Lumia 520?
Today my dad asked that the phone have no FM? I wanted the phone to get FM before he asked. :(

Only two things can happen. Either everyone got the update except me, or no one cares about Amber update anymore. :p

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
thanks a ton bro.
So you mean to say with sd card installing .XAP apps & games is possible & I do not require dev account?? Just clarifying...

Is app transfer to sd card possible in windows phone 8 especially in lumia 520??

Yes, but you do need internet connectivity for the fact that the xap will be cross checked with the marketplace data to check for the app version number. Thats what I know, I havent tried this myself.

Not possible. Although, I read somewhere that the Nokia maps data can be transfereed to the SD card.

Only two things can happen. Either everyone got the update except me, or no one cares about Amber update anymore. :p

A little more patience :p

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Thanks again. Will try it soon after getting a card.
I was trying to download asphalt 7 trial through wifi but it failed many times [may be some thing to do with the other storage] so this route may help me.

I do have wifi access but no 3g data.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Not possible. Although, I read somewhere that the Nokia maps data can be transfereed to the SD card.
Yes, we can. Using it..
Only downside is, maps will be a bit slower.

I was trying to download asphalt 7 trial through wifi but it failed many times [may be some thing to do with the other storage] so this route may help me.
Asphalt 7 is some 520MB i guess. Downloading that much via wifi on mobile, is a bit lame. Download in PC, and then install it manually.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent

A nokia store guy told me that new stocks of lumia 520 are coming up with update but OTA update is not out, may come by end of sept.:pray:

Yes, we can. Using it..
Only downside is, maps will be a bit slower.

Asphalt 7 is some 520MB i guess. Downloading that much via wifi on mobile, is a bit lame. Download in PC, and then install it manually.

WOW!! app transfer to SD card possible, what a relief..:doublethumb: :clap2:
thanks a lot.

Yepp!! very foolish of me to try download 512 mb app.

Top Bottom