Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
You are a typical android fanboy. Pity you. Moar this, Moar that. Measure everything in numbers. Keep doing that. Until one day when you get enlightened about the futility of your approach. You know whats the next big thing ? Power efficiency. It wont be long before you will be talking in terms of milliwatts and milliamperes, and tbh that'd make a little more sense than talking about the number of app installs or the number of cores or the core-clock frequency.

If numbers were everything, Beiber should be one of the greatest singers ever to grace the planet, all religions inferior to christianity and stuff like that. Get the drift ?

Do you even know what part of those are cheap handsets that take ages to even open the dialer ? I dont know the numbers precisely, but I am willing to bet that its a very large percentage. On the other hand, even the lowly 520 offers a perfectly usable WP experience as the high-end 920.

Keep hating bro. There's nothing like realising one day how stupid you were earlier. Keep hating :D

OT: I sincerely hope you are a kid. It'd be tragedy to have a inflexible, closed minded adult like you that doesnt even go by reason or accept that people can choose and its perfectly fine to have different ideas about things. For your loved ones, if not for yourself.

Last edited:
OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Asha OS is not a competition to WP8, but iOS/Android/BB.
Moreover, as i said earlier you can't compare a 3-year old OS with 6-year old OS when it comes to app downloads.

Maybe, you can compare the first 3-yrs of Android with WP8 as it stands today when it comes to years like below.
You see that first 3-years?

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/World-Wide-Smartphone-Market-Share.png

You see how it (Android) was dormant till 2010? (ie., the first 3 years). What you're doing is early prediction as people said about Android in 2008..
Only years can answer whether WP will fail or not, not you and not even me..

Am tired of these fights :|

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
WP wont fail ,thats a given but they should act more seriously and really address some bare basic issues.Im not saying Android is perfect,but WP at the moment is far from what a good and properly USABLE device should be compared to the competition. Android became huge when hardware makers adopted it because of simplicity ,problem with Windows is the Licensing fees and minimum requirement criteria and what not, typical Microsoft,who cares.Apple did the same but it was the first one to do so and it won in that space only Android with Larry Page's clever marketing got it going against apple, which Bill Gates/Microsoft lack and theres been proof many a time from Zune to Surface to WP to Xbox [I dare say that].

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Agree that WP lacks a lot of basics, and MS should get their act together but also got to agree that it got a lot of basics right, better than anybody else.

Its not Larry or Sergey's great skills that made android succeed, its because its FREE and IOS wasnt up for sale. You cant cherry pick devices and services to show failures and claim marketing is a dud for MS - one doesnt become the world's richest man by accident. The point here is that MS releases far too many unfinished products onto the market hoping the will stick - WP7 being a prime example. WP8 on the other hand is a different story with Nokia backing it up. Nokia isnt a dud all by itself.

In fact despite its lackings in certain areas, despite all of that a lot of people, including me chose to spend on the L920. Do you seriously think we are all idiots that didnt understand what we are doing ?
Fact is I am waiting on the next set of WP hardware to upgrade - thats after having a taste of both WP and Android. See something ? Some people, a lot of people value a fuss free phone. The reason android sells in large amounts today is not because of any perceived superiority over IOS or WP, its just word of mouth from enthusiasts like you. I bet half the people buying ANdroid dont even have a reason of their own to choose Android over anything else except for price. Point is, people didnt have a choice until now. Now they do.

Android adoption is not because or simplicity or brilliance or whatever, its all down to the one fact that there is no licensing fee. Hell, Android had nothing to offer against the superiority of Apple's ecosystem and continues to lag in developer attention even now due to monetary implications. The reason why Android sold in its early days against Apple is precisely why WP is selling today against Android - acceptable performance at lower price points. Where once ANdroid set the bar due to the ABSENCE od low-cost Iphones, now WP is doing the same with the 520/620. Dont let your affiliations blind you from this obvious fact - End of the day a larger portion of people just want a good, no fuss phone than a phone with more features that they are likely to never use.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Can the back cover of lumia 520 be easily removed? Nokia forum is flooding with broken screen of their 520 due to this design flow.
Also is the build quality of this phone good? Some said a drop from 3 feet height caused screen to be broken. And the screen change will atleast cost rs3500.
Can anybody help me? I may purchase one soon.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
WP sales against Android is laughable! Dont say that. In Android I can get "entry level" smartphone experience without being an Elite and again get the best experience of Android being an Elite,Thats why Android is what it is! Have you seen Apple share's price or they are retailing at ? They wanted to remain Elite and they are dying. And WP is confused at the moment! Simple.

Can the back cover of lumia 520 be easily removed? Nokia forum is flooding with broken screen of their 520 due to this design flow.
Also is the build quality of this phone good? Some said a drop from 3 feet height caused screen to be broken. And the screen change will atleast cost rs3500.

Any phone with 4 inch screen dropped from 3 feet will or might shatter it has nothing to do with the L520s build quality which is very good,for the price

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Yes, Very easily removed. I cant see how one ends up breaking a screen in the process. I guess they are doing it without even reading the instruction manual. Mine comes off neatly with a gentle but firm push to the camera with the thumb and a peeling action on the top edges using the index and ring fingers.

Build quality is just fine for the price. Looks and feels premium, but the left edge of the phone makes a squeaky sound if pressed hard - the cover doesnt sit flush on the body from the inside. The keys are not as responsive as the 920 but otherwise just fine. The front capacitive keys lack backlighting (that irks me really) and has a very narrow region of activation but nothing deal-breaking.

But that screen complaint is a given for any large-screened phone. its highly dependent on the manner of the fall and luck.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks all. I was about to choose one from galaxy young , xperia e, l520. L520 is above my budget, but i was trying hard to increase my budget. Just one drop and the screen gets cracked,then i would be in big trouble.i have seen my friend's galaxy ace falling down and surviving. Now i am little hesistant to take l520. Fully confused. Any solution?

WP sales against Android is laughable! Dont say that. In Android I can get "entry level" smartphone experience without being an Elite and again get the best experience of Android being an Elite,Thats why Android is what it is! Have you seen Apple share's price or they are retailing at ? They wanted to remain Elite and they are dying. And WP is confused at the moment! Simple.

I somehow dont agree to this.

Android suffers from lack of updates and it will continue like that. I had a strict budget of 10K and I got a phone which will be better supported in next two years then any Android smartphone.I love android and its better than WP at this moment. But I have always believed that more options is better for user. Users like us.

I have S3 and it is not running the latest android version. I quite sure 820 wont have to say this. ;)

Damn.

Can't decide between which colour to go for between yellow and black. :D

Get yellow :p . You can always change to Black.

New panels cost 450 bucks and it will come down :D

H2O

Journeyman
Yeah. Getting the black one now. Can always get a red or yellow cover later.

Anyway, I have placed the order. Getting it from Snap Deal on CoD for Rs 8820/-

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
^ Good choice. I had my doubts regarding WP8 but I went ahead and bought the Lumia 820. No complaints. :)

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I love these kinda fanboy vs fanboy threads. Please keep fighting guys. It adds to my daily amusement.

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
i will be getting one by the next weekend. Black L520.
Android (lagdroid) (No offence) Sucked me even With Dual Core procy and More RAM. I am Tired Of those. So coming back to Lumia.

Top Bottom