Linux: Making Life Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
subratabera

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
rajasekharan said:
Linux Mint 2.1 "Bea"...........which means i can play all mp3 s and dvd s with out any download from net is it???????
Yes it is...

Dreamlinux: because dreams can come true...
If you're searching for an operating system that allows you to: be free, communicate with the whole world, read, write, produce art, music, drawings, images, etc., as well as use the same kind of stuff produced by a worldwide community and, better yet, fastly, simply and safely share them all, you now have no excuses to give Dreamlinux 2.2 Multimedia Edition a nice try.
*www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/imagens/screenmain.jpg
*www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/imagens/multimedia.jpg
*www.linuxsoft.cz/img2/dream/2.2/s/19.png*dreamlinux.incubadora.fapesp.br/portal/arquivos/mini-gxine.jpg*dreamlinux.incubadora.fapesp.br/portal/arquivos/mini-xmms.jpg

Softwares...
Office applications

OpenOffice 2.0.4 compatible with other major office suites.
Orage Calendar is highly configurable and supports alerts based on dates.
Evince PDF viewer.
Scribus desktop publishing.

Image editing

GimpShop Image Manipulation Program.
Gogh designed to work with pressure-sensitive input devices.
GSumi pressure sensitive "ink" drawing.
GQview An image browser that features single click access to view images.
Gtkam is a GTK frontend to gphoto2 digital camera.

Vector drawing

Inkscape an vector graphics editor.
XaraLX vector graphics editor, similar to Corel Draw.

3D Modeling

Blender is the open source, cross platform suite of tools for 3D creation.
YafRay is a powerful raytracer, under the LGPL license.

Instant messenger

aMSN 0.97 instant messenger, with anti-aliasing support.

Internet

Firefox 1.5* the best of open-source Internet browser.
Note: Flashplayer, audio/video plugins and java are available.
Icedove email client.
Gftp file transfer protocol client.

P2P

Bittornado the best bittorrent client.

Multimedia

XMMS Linux multimedia player -- play media files such as MP3, OGG's, WAV,etc.
Mplayer a movie player for Linux. Supports reading from network, dvd, vcd, etc.
Gxine a player that can play all the audio/video formats, DVDs with interactive menus, etc.
AviDemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
Kino is a non-linear DV editor for GNU/Linux.
XdvdShrink allows you to create fair-use archival copies of DVD content on writable DVDs.
StreamTuner streamtuner is a stream directory browser.
Audacity software for recording and editing sounds in Linux.
Gnomebaker is a CD/DVD burning application for the Gnome/XFCE desktop.
FFMpeg is an audio/video conversion tool.
GtkPod iPod access under Linux, organize music, MP3, AAC, etc.
JackControl low-latency sound server.
Grip is a cd-player and cd-ripper for the Gnome/XFCE desktop
Gstreamer is a open source multimedia framework.

Emulators

Wine from WineHQ, Wine is a completely free alternative implementation
of the Windows API .

Others

Automount, Cool & Quiet, Samba-Server, NTFS-3G, Conky, XfApplets,
Internet Sharing Wizard, Ndiswrapper ( Ndisgtk ), Upgrade Wizard,
Bulk Renamer, Suspend2 ( Hibernate ).

DCP - Dreamlinux Control Panel

the distribution now, brings a panel for replaces the old utilities folder.

*Firefox 2.0, Opera Browser, Nvu, Skype, Google-Earth, Picasa and others are available through Easy-Install 1.3 or later.
Download...

Last edited:

gmanog

Journeyman
Hi guys,
I am new to linux, I would like to intall and try a linux OS in my pc, can you guys recommend me a good Linux OS for me, I would like one with all multimedia features. Is it true that internet will work faster in the Linux?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gmanog said:
Hi guys,
I am new to linux, I would like to intall and try a linux OS in my pc, can you guys recommend me a good Linux OS for me, I would like one with all multimedia features. Is it true that internet will work faster in the Linux?
Try out Dreamlinux shown above. It is based on debian so it will have lots of pre-packaged softwares. It also has some non-free softwares out of the box, which are needed by home users.

gmanog

Journeyman
tech_your_future said:
Try out Dreamlinux shown above. It is based on debian so it will have lots of pre-packaged softwares. It also has some non-free softwares out of the box, which are needed by home users.
Thanks. I Will download and try it.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!

Having problems installing something on your new Ubuntu operating system? "Where's the EXE?", "Where do I need to extract this to?", "How do I run it?", "Where did it go?" - have you been thinking questions like these? Don't worry, installing software, themes and other things on Ubuntu is actually very easy! This guide will help you understand with screenshots, instructional videos and to-the-point language.

Last edited:

mehulved

Here's something I got on ubuntu-in IRC channel *cargol.net/~ramon/ubuntu-dvd-en
It's a tutorial for building DVD's from main, universe and multiverse repositories.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Breaking News:

1)Linux Kernel hackers offering hardware companies free driver development
That's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all companies free Linux driver development. No longer do you have to suffer through all of the different examples in the Linux Device Driver Kit, or pick through the thousands of example drivers in the Linux kernel source tree trying to determine which one is the closest to what you need to do.

2) Cool new Beryl features...
Beryl's new *3D* animations!
*digg.com/thumb/1271115.jpg

Ring Window Switcher
*farm1.static.flickr.com/146/373231562_bbf607013f_m.jpg

Check it out...

mehulved

*gentoo-xeffects.org/ it's a nice site for such 3D effects and all. It's focussed towards gentoo but it is very much useful for others as well.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

PCLinuxOS 2007 Test release 1 is now available for download.

PCLinuxOS .94/2007 Test release 1 is now available for download. Please note this is not the final release. PCLinuxOS 2007 final will be released at the end of the month.

Features include:

* Kernel 2.6.18.6-dev3
* KDE 3.5.6
* Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1
* Flash 9
* Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.0.9
* Open Office 2.1.0
* Xorg 7.1
* Beryl, Compiz, Aixgl and Xgl for 3D graphics support
* Gcc 4.1.1 and updated glibc
* Updated bootsplash, icons, and more from the mypclinuxos.com beautification project.
* Xdg Menu system
* Rebuild and update of our entire repository against new gcc and glibc
* Simplified Livecd boot options.

More information...

And it looks beautiful too...Here are some screenshots...

*www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/albums/pclos2007b2/boot.thumb.jpg*www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/albums/pclos2007b2/boot1.thumb.jpg
*www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/albums/pclos2007b2/boot13.thumb.jpg*www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/albums/pclos2007b2/desktop.thumb.jpg
*www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/albums/pclos2007b2/gimp.thumb.jpg*www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/albums/pclos2007b2/intro.thumb.jpg

More Screenshots...

Cleaning up a Ubuntu GNU/Linux system

Install multiple OS Without Cds

Last edited:

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
subratabera said:
Breaking News:

1)Linux Kernel hackers offering hardware companies free driver development
That's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all companies free Linux driver development. No longer do you have to suffer through all of the different examples in the Linux Device Driver Kit, or pick through the thousands of example drivers in the Linux kernel source tree trying to determine which one is the closest to what you need to do.

AWESSSSSOOMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEE!!!! :D :D :D

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Here is another excellent tutorial...

There are many reasons people are hesitant to try Linux. The biggest of these reasons is that installing Linux generally requires people to do a list of difficult and unfamiliar tasks. However, The following article is going to introduce “virtualization” which is a fancy term for running Linux like any other program in Windows. The article will guide you through the process of setting up Linux so you can run it like any other program in Windows.

Don’t be intimated, these directions are designed for the absolute beginner and will not require you to do anything unfamiliar, threatening, or permanent to your computer. When you are finished you will be able to run Linux like any other program in Windows and share files between Linux and Windows.

Beginner’s Guide: Run Linux like any other program in Windows

(I've noticed Linux persons get less reps than Windows guys. Just my observation. Don't take it seriously)

Last edited:

rajasekharan

Youngling
does pcLinux allow me to play all videos and mp3 with out downloading stuffs from net . . ? does net work fast in Linux ??(some one asked it ,i wanna know it too :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom