linux installation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu Mahendran

Right off the assembly line
i started installing red hat9.. but in betw a msg came telling tht there is no file system supported or something like tht..actually i do hav 10gb of free space which i made by deleting a partition..

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Any specefic reason for installing RedHat 9? That's because its a very old distro. You can try Fedora Core 5 (or Fedora Core 6, which is coming out tomorrow). Or, as my personal suggestion, try Ubuntu.

Anyway, you have to make a filesystem which linux supports. I have never installed Red Hat 9, so dunno how the installer is, but it should prompt you to make an ext3 file system on the free space and mount it as '/'.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
And For Information, Red Hat Linux was "Renamed" to Fedora Core in 2003..

So the Latest Red Hat Linux version is Fedora Core 5 (6 will be released in few Days)

Refer the Version History in this Wikipedia Article

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Umm.. NO! RedHat (now known as RedHat Enterprise Linux) is the official PAID version and Fedora Core is the community supported FREE version just like openSuSE and SLED! And FC6 is releasing tomorrow (hopefully!)

sree_shan

Broken In
@manu
u said that u had created 10GB free space for linux...
but how much space u had used for file system .. and how much for root ... and for swap ???? :(

and there are so many new versions of linux.. why r u going for redhat 9????
u can go for suse or Fedora Core 5 or Ubuntu or mandriva.... :)

:) :) :)

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
kalpik said:
^^ Umm.. NO! RedHat (now known as RedHat Enterprise Linux) is the official PAID version and Fedora Core is the community supported FREE version just like openSuSE and SLED! And FC6 is releasing tomorrow (hopefully!)
Um.. Red Hat Linux is Different and Red Hat Enterprise Linux is Different..

You Better see this Too

RHEL is Based on Free, OpenSource Counterparts.. (i.e Red Hat Linux previously, and now Fedora Core)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well Red Hat Enterprise Linux is more of a descendent of Red Hat Linux. Whereas Fedora Core is more of an community distro which has just the backing of Red Hat.

OP
M

Manu Mahendran

Right off the assembly line
wen i install any linux it says tht it can;t find any hard drives and then the installation fails.. i tried wit mandrake peanut redhat

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom