Linux-First time, Please Help. + net through mobile phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling
Re: Linux-First time, Please Help.

hey, thanks a lot guys...:), i really appreciate ur supports for the linux...u guys are great and amazing...., truly ...:)
i have a few questions too...as stated early , i dont know how to connect my k750i to ubuntu .... so just cant download anything through "apt-get"...:(
any one of u know a work around
i can download stuffs from an internet center , but the problem is that i dont know thesites ....:(
can you please help me with downloading MP3 players, this k3g or so cd writer , and other things ......any readymade sites for ubuntu where i can get these files...?????

ok...i got amarok from...."*packages.ubuntulinux.org/edgy/kde/amarok"
amarok_1.4.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb

so i just install this and start playing mp3 stuffs right????

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

Ok to use apt-get or it's front end synaptic, which I will recommend for first time users.
1) Update you repositories. See how-to here *ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_add_extra_repositories
2) Open synaptic from System => Administration => Synaptic. I will show you all available packages and their description. Also read this *ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_apt-get_the_easy_way_.28Synaptic.29. No need to aid repositories again in synaptic, once you have followed step 1

paul_007

Padawan

is linux UBUNtu good platforn to start for newbies, i ordered it freely from a website, i received 2 CDs one for installing the OS and one is live CD, wat is live CD

i have 2 partition C(30 GB) where windows XP is installed and H(50 GB) , can i install in H drive , pls cud some one help me??

mehulved

It seems like you have ubuntu 5.10. Please confirm. Latest version of Ubuntu is 6.06. So, you will have a lot of updates to make if you use 5.10 or earlier.
Ubuntu is a good distro for beginners. But, it's negative point is that it is a minimalist distro at install time. So, you don't get too many packages pre-installed. If you have a good net connection, you can download many add-on packages. Ubuntu is debian based. So, it has about 18,000+ softwares that are precompiled and can be obtained via synaptic. Check out my eariler posts in this thread for more information.

Venom

Journeyman

1. Distro = Use Ubuntu.
2. Apps = Maya/Max > Blender, Nero < K3B, Photoshop < GIMP
3. Music = Amarok [None better in the world than it.]
4. Video = Totem or Xine. Or even VLC.
5. Partitioning = Yes, via GParted, and use ReiserFS.

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling

any one has any idea on how to connect my k750i via gprs through ubuntu...????

Pathik

Google Bot

search for ur BT drivers.....
btw ubuntu corrupted my mbr.....
GRUB on my ubuntu cd was corrupted...

mehulved

rajasekharan said:
any one has any idea on how to connect my k750i via gprs through ubuntu...????
Please give me a day or two. I will try to get my sister's phone,W700i for a day and try to get it connected. I will then tell you the procedure.

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling

@tech_your_future.....thank you, thank you, thank you,....:), take all your time in this world.......i appreciate your willingness to help me....truly, you are a wonderful person.....thank you...:)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

hey mehul
pls test & try pls guide me too
if can show to connect it via data cable.
it would be great

mehulved

Hey check up this one, if it works for you'll.
*www.mobguru.com/Linux+GPRS+Bluetooth.htm
I can't try it out personally because my cell is out for repairs and I connect via bluetooth and no data cable.
pppd will be required and should be present in your distro, These utils irda-utils, bluez libraries and rfcomm kernel patch - won't be needed since you'll only need to connect via data cable.

sandeep66

Right off the assembly line
6630 as usb modem in mandriva 2006

frendz help me out i am new to linux.i have tried every thing in my power to make it work but so far had no luck.I tried a software called easy gprs connect but was never able to install it .It was in tar.bz2 format.when i un packed the thing it asked for several other modules.Then i tried wvdial but no sir no luck.Did all this in suse linux 10.0 .Then installed mandriva 2006 .Worse didnt even showed my phone as modem.Dont know what to do.So plz help me out !!!!!!

mehulved

Re: 6630 as usb modem in mandriva 2006

Did you try this *www.mobguru.com/Linux+GPRS+Bluetooth.htm?

sandeep66

Right off the assembly line
Re: 6630 as usb modem in mandriva 2006

i am getting connect script failed . did every thing right but coudnt get this part ""If the GPRS provider requires PAP or CHAP authentication to access the service, add the username and password to the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets respectively. Airtel users need to configure PAP i.e add username and password to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets."" i am not able to write this file . I dont know how to open this file as root user.sorry might sound stupid but i am new :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom