Linux-First time, Please Help. + net through mobile phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Re: 6630 as usb modem in mandriva 2006

i dont have such mobiles but u can edit the file using gedit or kate text editors found on ur menu...be sure that u r logged as root while editing those files.if u got some userid and passwd enter them in as in below format in your pap and chap files
the format is as below:
Code:
"username" * "passwd"

Best O' Lux

sandeep66

Right off the assembly line

thanks for replying prakash bhai .I have only one user and have not kept any root password.The file i am trying to edit has a lock made on its icon.and when ever i try to open it says you dont have permission to edit this file.One more thing mandriva does not recognize my cell as modem,could this be the problem ? when i used suse it showed my phone as modem.Should i switch back to suse and try this method?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl

Suse Linux is the one that detects your phone. Mandriva won't support it upto my
knowledge. Did you create a Root account with password @Sandeep66?
Ofcourse, you should have created a Root account with password during Suse Linux
installation!!
Open the Terminal Window & type (konsole):
$ su -
(Enter password)
Now you are logged in as root.
Open Text editor
# kwrite
Now open the file & edit it. You'll succeed in editing it.
Yes, you should switch back to Suse Linux. With little hardwork you'll succeed.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

sandeep you did create a root account. That what you did when you typed su and entered the password, as can be seen in the screenshot. See the terminal you will find it changed from sandeep66@localhost to root@localhost. This means you logged in as root aka su(superuser).

sandeep66

thanks thanks to all of you.I was just about to lose hope.No probs i will install suse and give it one more try.:)

yes at that time i did had a root password.i installed linux again in which i didnt kept password.Just by typing su i could become super user.now i am going back to suse lets see what happens.thanks i feel good now.:):)

i have installed suse linux 10.0 . this time i did every thing right . but same error .what should i do next ??:(

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo

Look at these threads
*www.linuxforums.org/forum/peripherals-hardware/55310-using-nokia-modem-under-linux.html
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=463712

They will give you some good insights and the most important one is the device name of this type of modem. The device name would be /dev/ttyACM0.

Now, either you can try the scripts created by the user in the first thread or you can fire KPPP and change the modem device to the one I wrote above. Then try the connection using KPPP. Also, check by using "lsmod" (without quotes) command that you have proper modules loaded or not. The 5 important modules that you will need are
cdc_acm
ppp_deflate
ppp_synctty
ppp_async
ppp_generic

See that you have all of them loaded and then try the connection.

sandeep66

friends my last reply was from opera in windows.This time i am using firefox in linux.Yes i have managed to run net on linux.Thanks to all of you.There is no need of scripts.just install kppp and locate your modem.But i dont understand one thing when i check hardware info it shows my cell is on /dev/ttyASM0 but when i located it on kppp modem settings its on /dev/ttyUSB0?? One thing while making account in kppp select authentication terminal based not pap or any other.Now i am downloading xampp .thank you friends .from now on i will be active in forum i can learn many things.

hey friends some thing wrong again.After rebooting the system i am getting error.kppp was unable to find my modem.So i del. it and tried to config it again.Now it says "Unable to create modem lock file" .whats going wrong ??

Last edited:

vaibhavkaushal123

Linux and C-200 as modem!!

I am not new to the amazing world of Linux...have been using this thing since an year or o and have got used up to most of the things. Now lookiong at the microsoft campaign for piracy, I hace thought to completely move away with tlinux...I dont need Windows for most of work I do...they all can be done in Linux....so can someone suggest me that how do I install my modem?

My ISP is AirTel, I live in INDIA itsself,
Handset : Samsung SGH C200 ( GPRS enabled).
Linux : Mandriva 2006
Connection type is USB.

I am ready to change to any of the major distros like Red Hat , SuSE or UBUNTU ...given that they recognize my phone as a device as and when it gets connected...I have tried RedHat and UBUNTU but was of no help...will SuSE help??

Since I just dont want o keep installing any Linux at random, I need your suggestion guys...Help me out!!

Thanks.

Vaibhav (*_*)

eddie

El mooooo
Re: Linux and C-200 as modem!!

vaibhavkaushal123 said:
Connection type is USB.
Open a terminal window and type udevmonitor in it. Then connect your phone to your system. There will be some out put on screen. Then in another terminal window type the command "lsusb" and "lsmod" and give us the output of all the three commands. Also, it would be better to start your own thread instead of using someone else's. That way you will get more helpful members to look at your problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom