Linux-First time, Please Help. + net through mobile phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajasekharan

Youngling
hi everyone,
i have finally decided to move from windows to linux...i have a hell lot of questions now...please help me....
1.which linux disto should i use?
2.will i be able to run maya, max, photoshop , nero, on it?
3.what about audio , is there a good media player , can i run itunes?
4.what about video?, any players that can run dvd, like powerdvd ?
5.what about partitioning ?, i currently have c:(windows), d (programs only), e(music and videos) , f(works), g(games), h(virtual mem)....
ofcourse i will have a second hard disk devoted to linux...my question is....will i be able to create partitions like these in linux, and if so...which format should i use ?

.....i think thats all i can think now...please help

Pathik

Google Bot
Re: Linux-First time, Please Help.

1.try FC5,mandriva 2006,ubuntu6.06
2.3.4. there are apps but havin different names which do the same thing...
5. ext3

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling

wow....:) , thats a real fast reply.....thank you...
so that means i wont be able to run maya and max...:( ....?
ubuntu6.06 sounds nice .... i wish they run maya atleast .....
what about net connection, i have a sony k750i gprs, will i be able to connect linux on it, its an airtel connection though

Pathik

Google Bot

yup u can.... get gnome or kde bluetooth drivers....r u using MO...

Sykora

I see right through you.

1) Nobody can tell you with certainty which distro to use. Each one has its own benefits and drawbacks. Try a live cd of each one, and install the one you like best.

2) You can try blender, instead of maya/max. It is a very good 3D design program

3) There are many audio players for linux. No, iTunes doesn't come for linux, and even wine doesn't do too good a job. Try mpd + frontend, or amarok.

4) Same as 3). Try xinemms + frontend, or mplayer. You just have to look around. Many of them (not all, certainly) are better than their windows counterparts.

5) I don't know why every one who tries to come to linux feels ashamed of their windows and thinks that the "gurus" on the forums will put them down if they don't make a show of how stupid they think windows is. That's not the case, in most situations. We use linux because it suits our needs better.
The disk partitioning system in linux is entirely different to that in windows. You will get one folder under your username as your home directory. where you are free to create whatever folders you want. You cannot write in any other directory.Use ext3 fpr your partitions. Virtual memory in windows translates roughly to swap space in linux.

I have no idea about your k750i.

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling

thank you, yes , yes, yes, ...i found out, maya can be installed in linux...:),woof,
now regarding partition..... i dont like all in one place...
so the question is....i want all the programs to be installed on a different partition like d:
and my music in another , same about works, and others,....
will i be able to create it under linux?

yes i am using MO ....good to hear the net thing...:)

ok, good news...i got nero for linux....:)...yey!!!, ahem...bad news, i have only got it for ubuntu...i guess i will install ubuntu...:)

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer

Ist FC5, 2nd knoppix!! They rule.
Neways u wont find the all same softwares for windows in linux! Maya is the best I think in the field of animation and design I guess, But for Linux U'll find blender and other CAD tools. Search for it......!~

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

Moved to the right section. Please be careful which section you post in
rajasekharan said:
hi everyone,
i have finally decided to move from windows to linux...i have a hell lot of questions now...please help me....
1.which linux disto should i use?
Decide for yourself. Check out some threads in this section. This thread will help you in finding out - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3427
rajasekharan said:
2.will i be able to run maya, max, photoshop , nero, on it?
Maya is available for linux and I guess it is a native application too. For photoshop you have an excellent alternative in GIMP, forget nero, nero for linux is pathetic to say the list. Use K3B instead or try out Bonfire, I haven't used it personally but it seems nice.
rajasekharan said:
3.what about audio , is there a good media player , can i run itunes?
For just audio, nothing beats Amarok. Just check out the latest Amarok 1.4.0, it is superb.
rajasekharan said:
4.what about video?, any players that can run dvd, like powerdvd ?
A good all in one multimedia player is undoubtedly VLC.
rajasekharan said:
5.what about partitioning ?, i currently have c:(windows), d (programs only), e(music and videos) , f(works), g(games), h(virtual mem)....
Every distro gives one partitioning tool, most of them are GUI partitioning tools, just select manual partitioning and make whatever partitions you desire. For more information on how linux filesystem is arranged, read documents from *www.pathname.com/fhs/ . Arrangement of Linux filesystem is basically different from windows, but you will get used to it after a while.
Do not forget to make a swap partition, it is essential. It's just like your H:, that you have allocated for virtual memory in windows.
rajasekharan said:
ofcourse i will have a second hard disk devoted to linux...my question is....will i be able to create partitions like these in linux, and if so...which format should i use ?
Yes you will be able to partition your filesystem as you desire.
As per what filesystem to use, I would recommend
ext2 for /boot partition
ext3 for / partition
ext3 or reiserfs for /home partition.

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling

@tech_your_future....thank you , thank you, thank you....:)
i have decided and finalised ubuntu .... i sort of like nature ...:)
ok so ..here is specific questions....
as i am running windows now....
1.how do i download this Amarok. for ubuntu ?? , as i dont have a net connection , and i only have a gprs from k750i ... how do i connect that mobile in ubuntu????
2.ext2 for /boot partition......0k understood
ext3 for / partition.....ok
ext3 or reiserfs for /home partition......whats "reiserfs"??????
now asssuming that i got things right ...
i will have one main partition ...."/" , and one "swap" ....but what about creating partitions for "programs seperate" as i want them on a sep partiton, and what about music, works, and misc ....how to built part. for those???

Sykora

I see right through you.

*sigh*

Programs in linux aren't like programs in windows. You don't have a "program files" folder, in which you have a folder in the name of the program, where all the relevant files are stored. Things are a bit more organized in linux (although it may not seem that way). The libraries are stored in one directory, the binaries in another. This way you can access the binaries easily without messing with the libs. Creating a new partition for programs is meaningless, because so many programs come installed already, and they're not going to be put in the new partition. This is, unless you want to specify a new partition for /boot alone, but I don't think there's much point in that.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl

@Rajasekharan, If you want to know what to install in Ubuntu 6.06.
Check my post & it will give you the best software packages to install:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31989

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling

@Sykora....ok , i have dropped the "program file" thing.... , so how do i create on fro my music , works , amd misc ....and what size should be my main partition for ubuntu , i currently plan to allocate 120gb for linux
@JGuru....thats a big list...:), and today i have downloaded "blender-2.42a-linux-glibc232-py23-i386-static.tar" ....now i think i should be able to install it in ubuntu as such ....right?, or any steps to follow????
i also downloaded "nerolinux-2.1.0.1-x86.deb" ....now thats like .exe i think,
the former .tar will contain .deb or some thing?????

Sykora

I see right through you.

No, the tar will contain either source code or an installer, and I don't think you're prepared for compiling source just yet. As a rule, try to use Ubuntu's package management to get your new programs. You should find it in the menus like windows' "add/Remove programs" . It is _very_ advisable to use that instead of downloading from the internet. You can also use the command line, but you'll have to tell me if you're prepared for that.

To create a partition for your music, create a partition for the size that you want, and specify its mount point as /home/<username>/music . This will mean that although it just shows up as another folder in your /home directory, it will nevertheless be a different partition. Likewise for your other directories (projects, videos, etc)

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling

@Sykora .....i am already getting new things .....so i have decided to forget that partition thing....:( , i am no linux user , so i dont know coding or for that matter any things , if i can get a .exe kind of thing in ubuntu ....
i think .deb is the same????? , i think i can install it like windows......:)
the problem for me is , i dont know how to connect my k70i with ubuntu , so i can download from this "package management" .....:(

Sykora

I see right through you.

Have you found the add/remove programs options yet? .deb is like exe, but if you want to be able to uninstall, you should find add/remove first.

I honestly don't know about your phone. Perhaps someone else should pitch in?

maya,max,photoshop...................on a linux.
is there enough support av. 4 these applications in linux?

OP
rajasekharan

rajasekharan

Youngling

@rahul_becks23....maya , yes i found out, it supports :) , photoshop, they said there is GIMP, i dont know much ...max, no , no, no ...:(

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz

GIMP is GNU Image Manipulation Program. it is an Open Source alternative to Photoshop. Almost all the features are there of photoshop. the interface is though a bit cluttered. it is quite good. u dont need PS if u have GIMP.

if u use VLC media player, u can run audio and video both. amaroK is quite a good player...

Sykora

I see right through you.

There is also a modification of gimp, called gimpshop. It has a UI like photoshop, meant for people who have trouble getting adjusted. If you are familiar with photoshop, you should use gimpshop.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

rajasekharan have a look at this guide for more information on ubuntu, *ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom