Linux distros and Apple beat Microsoft’s homepage uptime

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandru.in

In the zone
Source

All Linux distributions have their own home base: their homepage. How well is this homepage taken care of and how well does it perform? To answer these questions we have monitored the uptime and load time of the homepages for 16 Linux distributions for a month.

And since it is a question we can’t resist asking: how do they compare to the homepages of corporate OS giants like Microsoft and Apple? We included those in this survey so that we could answer that question as well.

It should be taken into account that these websites have different kinds of resources behind them. Many are run by enthusiasts with a minimum of resources, while others have corporate backing. Keep this in mind while reviewing the data. The intent of this survey is simply meant to show the current situation, not point any fingers.

Nice to see a free desktop oriented distribution like Ubuntu fare very close to the commercial and proven server grade distros Linux. The site points to unplanned downtime of 29 hours during a week-end for Arch Linux. If not for that it should have fared pretty well too, at about 24 mins.

amitava82

MMO Addict
lol what a comparison!! Did they even thought about number of hits each of those sites get? And not to mention some of those sites use plain html compared to gigantic db driven sites.

OP
C

chandru.in

In the zone
lol what a comparison!! Did they even thought about number of hits each of those sites get? And not to mention some of those sites use plain html compared to gigantic db driven sites.
They did not consider the amount of resources the maintainers of the site had too when giving out the numbers. :p

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I don't think.. microsoft.com is down most of time. (sorry, I don't monitor any site uptime)
Regarding load time... it depend on few things like.
1. content on homepage
2. Server Load..... etc

So, there is nothing to compare in it.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
It is interesting to see that even with limited resources, many of the teams behind the various Linux distributions are managing a better homepage uptime and load time than Microsoft does, at least during this time period.

To Microsoft’s defense, they have one of the most trafficked web pages in the world. On the other hand, so does Apple, and they managed to keep their downtime to a mere 2 minutes
I seriously doubt that statistics of Apple and Linux combined could even reach anywhere near those of Microsoft.

Such news have no significance at all IMO. What does home page uptime and load have to do with performance and reliability of the platform ? Its like comparing the length and thickness of hair on a boxer's hand and judging his strength. Totally stupid and meaningless.

Man you really crack me up sometimes. When did "anyone" here say anything about it. :confused:

Never. But thats what my point is all about. Instead of discussing those things, people are rambling away on the web stats of some select web pages that only a small fraction of the users of each OS access regularly.

I fail to understand why.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Care to keep a site up and running? Gosh I read pay Rs. 250/- and get 99.9% up time. :lol: I'm sure most developers can afford that. Besides how many people do ever go to a distro's site anyway. :lol:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@Amitava, yea it proves 1 thing ... that the hosting services that the distros use are pretty good and recommended. :lol:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ I'm waiting for the next comparison: Linux Distros pay less for their domain names as compared to Microsoft & Apple. :lol:

Archlinux.org costs less than microsoft.com ... it could've cost more if it had a couple of more users. But please keep in mind that most of these domain names were bought by enthusiasts and not corporates. :lol:

Hosting ? Some distros are even hosted in free hosting sites, did you know that ?
Often, uptime is purely luck. Issues may arise in the server which nobody expects.
And as for this 79 minutes downtime of microsoft, that is nothing to be ashamed of.

As for site, as I said before, the sight need not be flashy with a complicated design. It just needs to fullfill its role - to act as a portal to the OS.

PS: offtopic: my wordpress blog has 100% uptime so far :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom