Linus Torvalds on Leopard File System: 'Complete and Utter Crap'

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
We consider the money paid for vista is money paid to M$ empire to enjoy our freedom,

Nope, Compaq, HP etc get OEM edition of the OS which costs much less then the real retail OS. Dell gets Windows Vista Home premium OEM for $80. The money u pay is to Dell not Microsoft cos u r buying a Microsoft OS from a Dell shop (Example)

I think you're lying when you tell you were able to save 4k. Dell, Dubai DO NOT sell without Windows and I think it's the same here as well.

I like to prove me wrong. But Dell XPS and get that 4k back. Post back with the proof.

Sure

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
mediator said:
Then u wud be very happy to detail what this verse of urs has anything to do with "OS transparency"
Quote:
but they are always tweaking it, patching some code in, using terminal codes and whatnot.
Its like someone say, "What r these experts sitting on PC doing 24*7". They r just wasting their time!
I'm serious. I know like 6 linux geeks. Whenever I meet them, they are always showing me some new beryl install where a window goes up in flames, or some network tweaks or something. Then the guy talks about terminal codes and all that. And of course, he will also for once make his linux desktop look exactly like a mac desktop and smirk. Sure they do work on it as well, I don't seriously think that they are forever tweaking.

But if you look at the three systems, there's a lot of tweaking and settings going on in Linux. The fact of which is evident from the numerous settings that come along with any linux app/distro.

So where does this leave us with transparency? OS X comes with all it's settings optimised after what I assume is a lot of market research. So there's not much to tweak, and Mac users are generally happy about the settings. Can't say the same about Linux (talk about driver hunts, getting WINE installed, and I don't know what else).

OK guys, let me tell you this thing: An Operating System must, as linus rightly says, be as invisible and as transparent as possible. But it does not mean that it must be stupidly advertising upgrades and forcing people to buy an upgrade.

Apple was very good in the begining. Their objective was to create an almost invisible OS, like how Linus now supports. But over the years, the OS has detoriated a lot in that feild. Originally, it was the ideal OS in my opinion. It was installed in a ROM, and this made booting up a real fast experience. But now its just like windows, coming installed in HDD. Look at the EEE PC. They once again went back to the past ways, by placing the main OS in a locked flash partition(almost like a ROM) and the configuration files are in another partition, this way, the OS loads extremely fast. Look at the new Linoups. They are devices with the OS(linux) in a Flash and the user files in a HDD, along with configuration files. Linux is fast becoming an OS that Mac was once about to become, but changed course.

Now all we need is for linux vendors like Red Hat, Canonical, Mandriva Soft, etc to shift from developing the OS(which can be done by the community) to developing professional softwares, which if done, will result in Mac and Windows having their market shares cut to less than half their current one in a span of 7 years.

And yes, if you want to really see how good/bad the filesystems of Windows(NTFS), Mac(???) and Linux(ext3) are, just head over to the below thread and follow the instructions :D
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79745

@ Grudge: Mac is what it is only because of looks and all the apps in iLife that are not available anywhere else. The naming of stuff in the apple is also an important part for its selling. Please don't flame great people like Linux Torvaldis, who are experts in OS technology, and are much above us.

@ Saurav: Windows is a topic that has been covered countless number of times. So please don't try to use the same points again and again. All of them have been delt with by lots of guys.

@ Soumya: Why won't you stop targeting Linux, Mac and Windows ? Almost all your threads deal with some sensitive windows or mac or linux issue and we have a flame war :lol:

@All: Apple hardware isn't half bad, if apple wasn't so ignorant of the fact that cost plays a major factor in popularity. Infact, look at this quote from apple's website:
Fools at Apple's Website said:
Better bang-to-buck ratio.

The most advanced and affordable Mac notebook ever gives you a blazingly fast mobile architecture in a beautiful design that costs less than slower, clunkier models. It’s like getting a sports car for the price of a scooter.
Does that make even little sence ? look at the following specs:
*www.asia.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

And look at the price:
*www.apple.co.in/store/

Are apple really ignorant, or big liars, or both ? For iLife that Apple provides, even if you include its Rs. 4000/- cost in proper Books, MacBooks cost a lot more.

I'm serious. I know like 6 linux geeks. Whenever I meet them, they are always showing me some new beryl install where a window goes up in flames, or some network tweaks or something. Then the guy talks about terminal codes and all that. And of course, he will also for once make his linux desktop look exactly like a mac desktop and smirk. Sure they do work on it as well, I don't seriously think that they are forever tweaking.

But if you look at the three systems, there's a lot of tweaking and settings going on in Linux. The fact of which is evident from the numerous settings that come along with any linux app/distro.

So where does this leave us with transparency? OS X comes with all it's settings optimised after what I assume is a lot of market research. So there's not much to tweak, and Mac users are generally happy about the settings. Can't say the same about Linux (talk about driver hunts, getting WINE installed, and I don't know what else).
thats because you are describing linux Geek version, which all geeks like to use. Linux also has "normal" releases in distros.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
goobiamma said:

And u call this "tweaking", "optimization" as a hindrance to OS transparency?? If u r telling that those 6 linux geeks telling u bt beryl etc has anything to do with OS transparency then u must be kidding!!

Let me give u some idea what transparency means.

* A person sitting on his PC having linux installed, gets software updates, does his work without even knowing that updates have been done

* U completely reconfigure ur main server, start ftp and ssh also without having to restart the machine or disrupting the work of others logged on that machine

* U simply restart the network of that machine by issuing "service network restart" WITHOUT EVEN GETTING DISCONNECTED!!
i.e U have 1000s of logged on users connected to net and u just upgraded the network and restarted it without disrupting their work!!

* U install many new applications without acknowledging other users (logged or connected) bt the change.

I dunno bt OSX, bt on windows count how many times u have to restart
* I install/unintall Bitdefender -> restart
* I upgrade to IE7 -> restart
* I upgrade/remove servers -> restart
* Driver installation -> restart
* etc

Remember its the 'kernel upgrade' where Linux needs restart and this is the area where all the OSs need restart!! Also remember kernel upgrade is usually done when more hardware support is needed, else when everything is supported and works, u don't have to upgrade even the kernel!!

I remember I have tweaked many servers, created basic firewall rulezz without any complaints or noise from any of the 50+ users connected to that machine!!

I hope u got some idea! Now please enlighten me how Linus is wrong and how coding/tweaking obstructs OS tranparency as u said!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Wait....that's what makes Linux a transparent OS?

* A person sitting on his PC having linux installed, gets software updates, does his work without even knowing that updates have been done.

Windows Update automatically downlods & install the updates & replaces the files when u reboot (Even if u reboot after a week)
* U completely reconfigure ur main server, start ftp and ssh also without having to restart the machine or disrupting the work of others logged on that machine

Windows Server 2003 & 2008.

* U simply restart the network of that machine by issuing "service network restart" WITHOUT EVEN GETTING DISCONNECTED!!
i.e U have 1000s of logged on users connected to net and u just upgraded the network and restarted it without disrupting their work!!

No idea

* U install many new applications without acknowledging other users (logged or connected) bt the change.

I dunno bt OSX, bt on windows count how many times u have to restart
* I install/unintall Bitdefender -> restart
* I upgrade to IE7 -> restart
* I upgrade/remove servers -> restart
* Driver installation -> restart
* etc

Or, learn how to use Windows, & follow this.

* Install, IE 7, Bit defender, drivers, upgrade/remove server -> reboot

I remember I have tweaked many servers, created basic firewall rulezz without any complaints or noise from any of the 50+ users connected to that machine!!

Ya...same here, GPEdit.msc on Windows Server 2000/2003 & now in 2008.

So, isn't Windows equally transparent.

din

Tribal Boy

I am not a win expert and I may be wrong too. But most of the win installations / program installations / driver / upgrades give a nice message window which shows - It is recommended to reboot your system. Press OK to reboot.

If it is perfectly ok to reboot only after doing everything, then may be we should sue these companies (including MS) for misleading us :( I mean no need to reboot but they show the recommendation message. Strange !

mediator

Technomancer
Windows Update automatically downlods & install the updates & replaces the files when u reboot (Even if u reboot after a week)
Sure, is there a need to tell me explicitly bt it? "Restart Later/Now"??

Windows Server 2003 & 2008.
I experienced it in XP server. Its a good thing if such a small thing is rectified!

I'm not even arguing if u have this or not in windows! But this is what u can call an "OS tranparency"!!

I thought u knew the meaning of "OS tranparency"!! :oops:

Ya...same here, GPEdit.msc on Windows Server 2000/2003 & now in 2008.

So, isn't Windows equally transparent.
gpedit/msconfig etc => changes => pop up => reboot later/now!! The line in bold is an amusing comment!

+
* Services to be independent of GUI => form tranparency
I kill X and still others can continue their work.

In windows
I logoff/login and network "resarts"!! All the necessary services "restart" on a logoff/login!....Not to mention bt Disk defragement!!

Just use ur "common sense", to have some remote idea what the word tells u => "OS tranparency"

@GX : U need fine experience with linux/*nix/servers before u jump here and talk bt 'OS tranparency'!! But sure u can tell bt OSX as I know nuthing bt it and how many times it "offers u to reboot/logoff/annoys u......like some OS change happened"!!

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I am not a win expert and I may be wrong too. But most of the win installations / program installations / driver / upgrades give a nice message window which shows - It is recommended to reboot your system. Press OK to reboot.

They give u an option like "restart now or later?". Just click on later & keep doing your work. Just have a look at my tutorial for using Windows Vista, if you follow that...u only need 2 reboots for the whole process.

Even if you get the "Click ok to reboot", just ignore that Window & continue doing your work & install the other things.

If it is perfectly ok to reboot only after doing everything, then may be we should sue these companies (including MS) for misleading us :( I mean no need to reboot but they show the recommendation message. Strange !

Things are different in case of Vista now. You can install all the drivers, updates, applications etc at one go, & reboot finally. Vista will not replace critical files unless u reboot.

I experienced it in XP server. Its a good thing if such a small thing is rectified!

XP server???? Which OS is that....as far as I know it is only XP Home & Pro
I'm not even arguing if u have this or not in windows! But this is what u can call an "OS tranparency"!!

I meant "I don't know anything about this"

Services to be independent of GUI => form tranparency
I kill X and still others can continue their work.

Now implemented in Windows Server 2008

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
XP server???? Which OS is that....as far as I know it is only XP Home & Pro
Thats y I'm tellin u need phine exp. with servers. Its not like the whole technical world revolves around pro/home. I installed servers like IIS/ssh/ftp on XP, what will u call that machine "Servers on XP"?? I prefer Xp server like the world calls a server on fedora as "Fedora server" or a server on BSD as "BSD server"!!

I meant "I don't know anything about this"
NP, never too late to learn!! :)

Now implemented in Windows Server 2008
Why just a specific version?? This is the thing Linux had since ages!

Please don't argue that its there in 2008. It makes me feel sad. THe collective tranparency in windows is still in its nascent stages!! Learn the full details, read some book on OS and how it works and how it shud be..spend time with *nixes. U'll get plenty of idea then!!

Jayanth.M.P

Journeyman
My opinion :

Windows -- Good for daily use.
Linux -- Good for enterprise use.
OSX -- Never used it so no idea.

Regadring restarts -- silent installations can be done even in windows. The applications / drivers come into effect only after the next reboot.

mediator

Technomancer
"My Opinion" - You r 100% Korrect! *www.smileyhut.com/music/rock.gif WTH :oops:

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
All this is so funny :) I mean.. Windows and Restarts! Linux and Geeks! :D

And about Linux entering the Pro market, it will not happen unless we haf software like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash for Linux. There just aren't pro apps in there! Why Linux is still not ready and still thot of being geeky:

1) A Pro will not use it for the lack of apps.

2) A Home user is usually also a gamer who faces the lack of his favourite game in Linux.

3) Office users are so accustomed to MS Office, they don't wanna switch over.

Ab bacha kaun? Geeks??!!!! Net admins and casual users... and they are the ones using it now!

Exatly true.. when I purchase my compaq laptop, telling the dealer I don't want vista, since I am installing linux,I am returning the license. he told, that it is not possible... Now most of the people only option to install Linux in preinstalled vista is format and wipe out/ or make necesary partition and install Linux and use it.. We consider the money paid for vista is money paid to M$ empire to enjoy our freedom,
one day we hope, the Windows TAx, payable to Ballmer &co will stop,till the time, we will teach our children, what sort of slavery that the software world is suffering, what sort of war is going on..
" to be free.. or not to be free.., "and we may raise the hope for them,

'Listen son!! to day we are paying to M$ empire,to morrow hopefully will be yours..

Vaithy

I bow down! One of the most sensible posts ever! We are devoid of choice and this is clearly against Right to Freedom! By paying for Windows we are paying a RANSOM to MS for our freedom!

Last edited:
^^ the problem is that laptop vendors are not *willing* to give laptops with Linux preinstalled or laptops with no OS installed. This has caused lots of negative concequences. Look at the planned to be released ACi's Higher end model of Ultra Mini which is set to come for 25K. Its cost could have easily been made 18K(equal to that of an EEE PC) if it didn't come with Vista Peremium, and with its touch screen, 80 gig HDD, small size, etc it would have made a champion NanoBook. But now it looks like its in an entirely different legue thanks to its expected price.

One main reason for M$ O$es being preloded in computers is because M$ Pay$ the Vendor$ lot$ of $ in order to make them load window$ in each $y$tem. This is the biggest cause for worry, IMO.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^M$haft threaten hardware manufacturers,infact bullying to pre-install vista cr@p :p
its not MS that tells them they want to so it is done .... next u will say norton threatens dell/hp to install their trial versions on lappies :lol:

its not MS that tells them they want to so it is done .... next u will say norton threatens dell/hp to install their trial versions on lappies :lol:
in a way yes. An important source for revenue for computer manufacturers is trialware. Michael Dell himself agreed that they get quite a few dollars thanks to trialware, and that his productis would have been costlier without them.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^ the problem is that laptop vendors are not *willing* to give laptops with Linux preinstalled or laptops with no OS installed.

Yup, cos consumer demand an OS with the laptop for a better out of the box experience. Not everyone has the knowledge, & time to install an OS on there own.

Windows is the most used OS out there, & if a vendor gives his laptop without an OS it results in piracy.

Still the laptop manufacturer can indeed give the user not to select any OS on some high end models or Linux or Vista installation at an additional cost...but then people will crip about cost.

One main reason for M$ O$es being preloded in computers is because M$ Pay$ the Vendor$ lot$ of $ in order to make them load window$ in each $y$tem. This is the biggest cause for worry, IMO.

Lolz....what a reason, couldn't it be that Windows is the easiest & most used Operating system out there & the first preference of a "consumer" is Windows due to ease of use, support & 3rd party apps.

^M$haft threaten hardware manufacturers,infact bullying to pre-install vista cr@p :razz:

Nutjob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom