Linus Torvalds on Leopard File System: 'Complete and Utter Crap'

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
Linus Torvalds, the founder of Linux operating system, was in Melbourne last week for the linux.conf.au conference. He was invited to express a few thoughts regarding OS X versus Windows Vista in a wide-ranging interview. According to smh.com.au, Torvalds reckoned that Apple's overhyped operating system, OS X Leopard, was in some ways worse than Vista.

"I don't think they're equally flawed - I think Leopard is a much better system," said the creator of the Linux kernel. "(But) OS X in some ways is actually worse than Windows to program for. Their file system is complete and utter crap, which is scary," he added.

Torvalds also expressed his discontent towards Apple's and Microsoft's attitude of constantly rolling out updates in a celebrating manner, according to smh.com.au, so that people are forced to upgrade, if they want to continue using the respective operating systems.

"An operating system should be completely invisible," he said. "To Microsoft and Apple (it is) a way to control the whole environment ... to force people to upgrade their applications and hardware." Which is of course true, but then again, nobody has to be like everybody else. Microsoft has its own way of turning things to their advantage, while Apple has a different yet almost equally successful approach. Apple folks, just as Microsoft's Bill Gates, started in the business driven by passion. Wanting to make a buck while at it isn't something to blame. Getting greedy, however, is. Think this is what Torvalds was hinting at?

Torvalds was proud to speak of his own operating system and its improving green credentials, mentioning the push into mobile devices (such as the One Laptop per Child project) and Asus' ultra-cheap Eee PC.

Linus believes that Asus' PC may be a sign that Asia's hardware makers are starting to bypass Western commercial operating systems, so they can get more control over their products, according to the same source.

"That's the primary area that open source (software like Linux) is useful. Software is really expensive to produce and takes years. If you're a hardware company you can't really afford that, you either have to be controlled from the outside or take a pre-existing software stack that you can make changes to."

Torvalds also stated that, although Linux has always lacked a good UI (user interface), he and his fellow programmers modified almost all of the operating system's core to improve power management, since "Everybody wants to be power-aware."

*news.softpedia.com/news/Linus-Torv...m-039-Complete-and-Utter-Crap-039-77967.shtml

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Let Linus Torvalds shut the flower up. :)

Torvalds also expressed his discontent towards Apple's and Microsoft's attitude of constantly rolling out updates in a celebrating manner, according to smh.com.au, so that people are forced to upgrade, if they want to continue using the respective operating systems.
Leopard is better than Tiger. 95% of the upgraders might be happy. It's true that new Mac are shipped with Leopard only but users are happy about it. I want to know if anyone here wants Tiger with a Mac now.

This situation is different from that of Windows. While you can run OS X, Windows and *nix in your Mac (and people don't buy to run Windows/*nix); the same is not possible in PCs. If you want to buy a PC and want to run *nix, you're wasting an OEM copy of Windows which prolly might have costed you around 4-5k. Also if you want to run XP, then you are forced to pay more or have no option but to digest Vista.

Again, Linus Torvalds shut the flower up. Mac users are happy with Apple and Leopard.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
If you want to buy a PC and want to run *nix, you're wasting an OEM copy of Windows which prolly might have costed you around 4-5k. Also if you want to run XP, then you are forced to pay more or have no option but to digest Vista.

You can decline the license aggreement & get the money back.

Again, Linus Torvalds shut the flower up. Mac users are happy with Apple and Leopard.

After spending so much money on a Mac, Mac users have no option then to use Leopard :D

drgrudge

You can decline the license aggreement & get the money back.
Lol man. Look who is talking. gx is planning to buy cr@pware (Read Dell + Windows). Look here:
Damn those Dell People, I guess informing them that I m a student in some college might be able to get me some discount, right? I will order the laptop after getting admission only so that I can show them admission slip etc if required to avail the discount if available.

He doesn't want the OS but have no option. :lol:

After spending so much money on a Mac, Mac users have no option then to use
Don't you ever read properly what I post?

I can run Windows and *nix along with my OS X. But I have only Leopard installed. Why settle for the rest, when you have the best? :cool:

And Mac users want Leopard, plus you don't buy a Mac to run Windows/*nix. So there's no question of forcing a OS on Mac users.

Next time, please read what others are posting.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Lol man. Look who is talking. gx is planning to buy cr@pware (Read Dell + Windows). Look here:

That so called crapware according to u is a better value for money, gives more performance then a Macbook (cos they are in similar price segment), Looks better (crimson). About installed software, well...you know us Windows users,,, we use our computer our way, that's why reinstall the OS from the OEM DVD & activate it & install the stuff u want. At least we Windows users know how our OS works inlike Mac users :D

He doesn't want the OS but have no option. :lol:

I don't want the OS because I already have 3 license of Vista Ultimate, 2 for Home premium with me. But if they are giving me Home premium then good....I get another license.

i_am_crack

HAF 922 Owner
Cyber CAfe....Thatz for the safe side.. cause after 5 activations.. your key wil be accepted further...you know the OEM rules...

eBRo

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
How ??? I coudnt decline it(Dell guys said its mandatory) , when I got Vista Home premium on my dell 1520.

When that Dell service guy comes to your home for basic system installation, just decline to the License Agreement of Windows Vista & tell him you do not want to use this license, you already have a license. 2 of my friends were able to save Rs 4k like this (Home premium OEM)

And pray wat would youdo with 4 licenses?

If Dell doesn't remove the OEM OS, who cares. I will wipe the harddisk clean & install my own MSDN edition of Vista + SP1 & activate it. Like I said I have 3 Vista Ultimate license, 1 is in use in my home computer (the one i m working on), & 2 are spare.

However, if Dell gives me the OEM installation DVD which they will, I will simply format my HD, & reinstall Vista using that OEM DVD.

Or I can simply install Vista using my MSDN edition DVD & acvtivate using OEM key in case I do not get the OEM DVD.

P.S.- We are going off topic.

goobimama

 Macboy
The last thing Torvalds should be talking about is OS transparency. Every linux geek has always been 'working with linux'. They are happy with it, but they are always tweaking it, patching some code in, using terminal codes and whatnot. I hardly know any who actually use Linux for professional work (other than servers, but that's a totally different trip).

OS X is the most transparent OS out there. You don't get pop ups telling you that your pen drive has been detected. Another one that it's hardware is instaling, and a third one telling you that it's ready for use.

Btw, Dell does NOT sell their machines without Windows on them. I even asked about this declining the license thing and they said no. I would have to return the entire machine within their 7 day policy (and some 10% restocking fee I think).

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
U know reading about some technical terminology can always help. I know many OSX users don't like to learn anything, but still it can make u look well "not lame"!! Please read what these "transparencies" like OS tranparency actually mean!!

goobimama

 Macboy
Uh. What did I mean by OS transparency? If you thought I meant window transparency, then I assure you it was not what I meant. And in that area, Windows Vista rules, with it's aero glass thing. I was talking about the OS taking a background, and the task taking foreground.

And it's not like I don't know some stuff about the OS as well. Just that I don't go way into technical details about why a "ANCP variation conflicts with the DRP settings" (the example is totally made up)

mediator

Technomancer
Then u wud be very happy to detail what this verse of urs has anything to do with "OS transparency"
but they are always tweaking it, patching some code in, using terminal codes and whatnot.

Its like someone say, "What r these experts sitting on PC doing 24*7". They r just wasting their time!

vaithy

In the zone
How ??? I coudnt decline it(Dell guys said its mandatory) , when I got Vista Home premium on my dell 1520.

Exatly true.. when I purchase my compaq laptop, telling the dealer I don't want vista, since I am installing linux,I am returning the license. he told, that it is not possible... Now most of the people only option to install Linux in preinstalled vista is format and wipe out/ or make necesary partition and install Linux and use it.. We consider the money paid for vista is money paid to M$ empire to enjoy our freedom,
one day we hope, the Windows TAx, payable to Ballmer &co will stop,till the time, we will teach our children, what sort of slavery that the software world is suffering, what sort of war is going on..
" to be free.. or not to be free.., "and we may raise the hope for them,

'Listen son!! to day we are paying to M$ empire,to morrow hopefully will be yours..

Vaithy

drgrudge

When that Dell service guy comes to your home for basic system installation, just decline to the License Agreement of Windows Vista & tell him you do not want to use this license, you already have a license. 2 of my friends were able to save Rs 4k like this (Home premium OEM)
I'm 99% sure it can't be done. In my office, we have some contract with MS n buy volume Licenses to be installed in our PCs. We buy Lappies as well, so if you don't want licence (we have a volume licence for 50 PCs or so), Dell doesn't sell with crapware installed.

I think you're lying when you tell you were able to save 4k. Dell, Dubai DO NOT sell without Windows and I think it's the same here as well.

I like to prove me wrong. But Dell XPS and get that 4k back. Post back with the proof.

That so called crapware according to u is a better value for money, gives more performance then a Macbook (cos they are in similar price segment), Looks better (crimson).
LMAO. :lol:

I've still my PC and work on it sometimes. I've had a Dell Laptop as well. Do think I was born with a Mac. I can assure that my Mac is the best PC that I've purchased. I don't mean what performance you want.

I agree that Apple is not VFM. IMO, it's expensive. But on the longer run, you get to benefit. Your Mac resell value is more. I've a friend who says he'll buy my Mac for 75k. I brought for 72k. :D See the threads in Bazaar, when a guy (he was DJ) looking to buy a Mac and ready to part with a decent money - something which is impossible for a Windows PC.

Also no need to worry about Viruses and such. How much time have you spend on formatting and installing crapwares? Time is money.

Better design and looks good than a Mac? In your wet dream dude. Dream on. Sony Vaio is the next to Apple Macs in terms of design. XPS and this Acer Ferrari/Asus Lamborgini is ugly, IMO.

I don't want the OS because I already have 3 license of Vista Ultimate, 2 for Home premium with me. But if they are giving me Home premium then good....I get another license.
I don't care how much licences you have. The point is you don't want another Vista. Thats in your case. Many others want to install *nix. The point is you don't have option and Vista is forced. Linus was right.

praka123

left this forum longback
assembling laptops-this should come if u want to buy a laptop with vista(crapware).we are giving ransom money buying a laptop with vista! :lol:
else wed have been raided everytime by M$haft.

@grudge:ur sig is a tamil song?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom