Light weight Linux distribution

kamal4883

Broken In
I have a IBM r52 laptop. I want to install a Linux operating system in this machine. The configuration is as follows :
Processor intel centrino 1.7Ghz
Ram 1.5 GB
HDD space: 60GB

Once i had installed ubuntu 8.10 in this laptop and the performance was superb but recently I installed latest version of ubuntu in this laptop and found that performance was not that good. Please suggest a lightweight Linux os which this laptop can easily handle.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Wow. This is very good distro size is only 100 MB. Thank you harshilsharma63 for your quick reply. I will post my experience in this forum after installing this distro In My machine.

Over Puppy Linux, I would recommend a Xfce/Lxde/openbox spin of popular distros (Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc). I had an r51 with 1.6GHz proc and 256 MB Memory, 40GB HDD. I used full time, Arch Linux with Enlightenment WM pretty smoothly.

OP
K

kamal4883

Broken In
I tried puppy Linux os was very smooth as whole thing first copied into ram but user experience was not so great. I have to set everything like network connection etc.
@nims11: Thanx for the suggestion. I think I should try lubuntu. I read some +ve review about this

digit.sh

Journeyman
When someone asks for a lightweight distro, only two choices comes to mind: Crunchbang, Archbang. Both are openbox based and very light. First one is derived from Debian, very solid and stable and very very light. I use it ony my netbook. Runs great. Only drawback is its kernel which is 3.2.....quite old. It can be a problem on newer hardware. Archbang is even more lightweight. Its Archlinux based, which is a fully rolling distro. So, with Archbang, you always get all the new updates. Good for new hardware. Its slightly less polished than Crunchbang, but you can always configure to suit your own taste.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a light weight distro Knoppix is my first choice though it's 700MB in size .. another distro worth a shot is DSL or Porteus.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
When someone asks for a lightweight distro, only two choices comes to mind: Crunchbang, Archbang. Both are openbox based and very light. First one is derived from Debian, very solid and stable and very very light. I use it ony my netbook. Runs great. Only drawback is its kernel which is 3.2.....quite old. It can be a problem on newer hardware. Archbang is even more lightweight. Its Archlinux based, which is a fully rolling distro. So, with Archbang, you always get all the new updates. Good for new hardware. Its slightly less polished than Crunchbang, but you can always configure to suit your own taste.

+1 for ArchBang, that would be best for that laptop.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
PCLinuxOS LXDE version could be tried.
Have you given a go for the full PCLinuxOS KDE? It may be a bit slow but the added convenience of features might help.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
just found this ;) this little distro looks damn awesome .. anyone interested in trying ?
Macpup: A beautiful derivative of Puppy Linux

Top Bottom