light & small netbook within 30k

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

30k max

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Thin and Light; 10''-12"

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:asus, hp, dell
b. Dislike:Lenovo

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
browsing, hd video, light video photo editing

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

matte would be great

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

searched the forum and some have recomennded HP Pavilion DM1 Series DM1-4003AU. I have come across a i3 variant of the same at 31(flipkart). Couldnt decide which will be good. can i play some game with low setting with i3 variant??

Hrishi

I3 version is a better buy than the E-450. Although it costs almost 7k INR more.
I3 will kick e-450 anyday in term of computing and processing.Its more advanced CPU.
Its good buy for day to day use specially procesing, and light gaming.

However if its intended for multimedia and gaming purpose , go for the AMD bundle , due to the 6320 GPU.

Although both have Advanced Integrated graphics card , but 6320 is better.
E-450 is a netbook processor having 18W TDP , so its gonna cost you less power.
Whereas Core I3 is low voltage notebook processor 17W TDP,
Memory FRequency for E-450 is @1333mhz and For Ci3 ULV is @800Mhz.
E-450 has 1.65ghz with turbo in GPU.
CI3 ULV has 1.3Ghz with Intel gma.

But seriosuly , dont expect too much performance from either of them , except a prolonged battery life.

Note : Unlike your preference , Dm1-4003au comes with a Glossy screen , reflects too much light.

Infact if you are willing to spend upto 30k and looking for performance in netbook , I would recommend you DM1-4003Au @~24,000. (I bought it at 22,000 :p )
Then spend some money on upgrading the RAM and getting a SSD instead of HD.
(RAM upgrade+SSD will give you a good boost in performance and battery than going for ULV based
Core I3.)
Trust me , its a better deal.

Last edited:
OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
I3 version is a better buy than the E-450. Although it costs almost 7k INR more.
I3 will kick e-450 anyday in term of computing and processing.Its more advanced CPU.
Its good buy for day to day use specially procesing, and light gaming.

However if its intended for multimedia and gaming purpose , go for the AMD bundle , due to the 6320 GPU.

Although both have Advanced Integrated graphics card , but 6320 is better.
E-450 is a netbook processor having 18W TDP , so its gonna cost you less power.
Whereas Core I3 is low voltage notebook processor , So it will be better if power consumption is not an issue.

Memory FRequency for E-450 is @1333mhz and For Ci3 ULV is @800Mhz.
E-450 has 1.65ghz with turbo in GPU.
CI3 ULV has 1.3Ghz with Intel gma.

But seriosuly , dont expect too much performance from either of them , except a prolonged battery life.

Note : Unlike your preference , Dm1-4003au comes with a Glossy screen , reflects too much light.
wow, that was quick and detailed comparison. it means amd one gives better battery time.

any other suggestion for my want?

Hrishi

Sorry , I was editing my post in the meanwhile for adding more info , :p edited it couple of times hehehe.

Read it again , about the SSD+RAM thing. That would be really good option to look forward for rather than just the CI3 version.

Plus SSD means much less power consumption than HDD and much better performance , its a definite increase in battery backup , go for it since battery backup is what Netbooks are intended for.

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
wow, thanks again. :D

changing the components not void the warranty? how much for ram+ssd?

Hrishi

wow, thanks again. :D

changing the components not void the warranty? how much for ram+ssd?

Well upgrading the amount of RAM will not void the warranty.Just make sure you use the RAM stick recommended by HP.
Usually a good 4GB DDR3 stick @1333mhz will cost you not more than 12-1500Rs.
You can have upto 2 RAM sticks in DM1 upto 8GB.

Regarding the SSD : You can trade off the default HDD for SDD.Although it will cost you a lot , but not too much.

I would recommend asking some TDForum Expert before choosing an SSD , since its a bit on Expensive side but very much beneficial considering the battery life and performance in mind.

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
i think i have to be satisfied with amd + ram upgrade.

Thanks everyone. is there any chance it is avavilable cheaper anywhere?

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
got the hp dm1 4109au locally. Not impressed. It hell slow for me. By slow i mean, the UI. takes time to shutdown. specifically programs running very slow.
searched internet, and followed steps - like uninstalling the bloatwares, norton antivirus etc. still not much gain in performance. wanted to try XP, but drivers are not available. atleast will try to put a 4gb ram.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
install tuneup utilities and let it configure the graphics part for you. clean registry and it should speed things up.

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.
@sam
thanks. i will try it today.

@pravinvb
get the i3 model. it's safe. i should have gone with that instead of this amd epu model.

Hrishi

Re: light & small netbook within 30k

@sam
thanks. i will try it today.

@pravinvb
get the i3 model. it's safe. i should have gone with that instead of this amd epu model.

Increase the Ram and post te results.
I always run it in maximum performance mode , and maintain clean registry , and a custom "msconfig".
Btw , the Core I3 version is not really that good when it comes to gaming.

Just increase the RAM and get on some average games like NFSMW , L4D, CSS ,etc. You will notice good performance.
Btw , this is a netbook .SO it wont get that fast.

It can run "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare " , with 800*600 resolution on 4GB+ RAM, which is good for a netbook.

OP
gurujee

gurujee

Can't Talk. In The Zone.

^
hi, thanks for reply. Yes, i have about to order a ram. What to untick in the msconfig. I find many services also running in the background. can i by any means install xp? and how to clean install the 7?

my task manager *i45.tinypic.com/2wqwzyq.png
Is there any extra task which i can turn off?

cpuz
*i47.tinypic.com/2l9nzvr.png
*i50.tinypic.com/97mpuu.png
will this ram be ok *www.flipkart.com/corsair-ddr3-4-gb-laptop-ram-cmso4gx3m1a1333c9/p/itmd2rypqfpzzmnj?pid=RAMD2RYPJHCFQJBC&ref=51147cba-e7a2-42d2-8fb7-08beba59a2ff

Hrishi

The one I bought was Transcend 1333mhz DDR3 @1290RS from Nehru Palace.
Its running fine with my Netbook.

I think Experts will suggest Corsair over Transcend . So it will be a better buy.
But it will be good to buy a RAM stick similiar to the the existing one for stability , I mean similiar in latency,size and frequency.

-----------------------------------
I think , you don't have any useless process running in background.
I keep HPOSD.exe closed though , but it wont make a big difference.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^
hi, thanks for reply. Yes, i have about to order a ram. What to untick in the msconfig. I find many services also running in the background.

post a screenshot of MSconfig or CCleaner startup screen. We can tell what to keep and what to remove.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
got the hp dm1 4109au locally. Not impressed. It hell slow for me. By slow i mean, the UI. takes time to shutdown. specifically programs running very slow.
searched internet, and followed steps - like uninstalling the bloatwares, norton antivirus etc. still not much gain in performance. wanted to try XP, but drivers are not available. atleast will try to put a 4gb ram.

Pairing brazos with 2GB RAM with win 7 is plain ignorance TBH. I have laptop based on same processor and its not that slow as you're pretending it to be. Just upgrade it to 4GB, do a clean install, it should be fine. If its slow then, brazos is not for you.

ashrj

Intermediate-level User
What boot time do you get ? Shutdown time ? Lag for opening applications ?
I am planning on buying a netbook this week, hence my queries.

Top Bottom