Learning SQL:Should i join Oracle Database 10G from NIIT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SahilAr

In the zone
Hello Everyone,i want to learn SQL,should i join NIIT to learn Oracle Database 10g course?I know that Oracle 11g is available now..but at some website it was mentioned that i need to have Oracle 10g Experience to begin Oracle 11g.
Please advice me,should i learn 10g or 11g?
Are there any Prerequisites for Pursuing Oracle 11g Course?
Should i pursue Oracle 10g/11g program from NIIT or any other institute?
I currently have 0 Experience with SQL/Database.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
Get started with 10g, learn the basics. You'll need loads of real world practice before you can use the new features included in 11g which aren't present in 10g. (Except for few).

You could learn it yourself online. PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle have amazing documentations that you can follow for a step by step introduction to the respective databases. I learnt PostgreSQL 9.1 online in 1 week.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
Get started with 10g, learn the basics. You'll need loads of real world practice before you can use the new features included in 11g which aren't present in 10g. (Except for few).

Thanks for the Reply mate,that means i should join Oracle 10g course from NIIT na?

You could learn it yourself online. PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle have amazing documentations that you can follow for a step by step introduction to the respective databases. I learnt PostgreSQL 9.1 online in 1 week.

I know there are "Many" Online/Computer Based Tutorials but i am kindda "Bigdela Bachha" whenever i open the laptop,there comes only one thing in my mind:Just Exploring the Tech.So that's why i want to join the Instructor Led Course,please suggest me if NIIT is any good or any other Institution and also should i start with Oracle 10g or 11g?

use lynda tutorial videos it will be easy n effective n free ..
Again,i don't want these tutorials i know there are many online training Tutorials available for Database Training!But still i want a Instructor Led Training Course:wink:

aroraanant

Explorer
First get the basics by studying from online tutorials and books.And get the basic knowledge of SQL.
I can recommend you a book also if you want.
You don't need to spend such a huge amount to learn that.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
First get the basics by studying from online tutorials and books.And get the basic knowledge of SQL.
I can recommend you a book also if you want.
You don't need to spend such a huge amount to learn that.
Thanks for the suggestion mate,now i have really changed my mind a lot,you people are actually dedicated towards helping the Noobs and i am one of them(Noob).Thanks a lot everyone for helping me,now i will learn Oracle Database myself:wink::)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Get the following book. Its has a fantastic approach and is extremely fun to learn.

Head First SQL

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Does it also covers PL/SQL ?

A comment on FK says it just contains too basic things to learn. What do you say about that?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^Does it also covers PL/SQL ?

A comment on FK says it just contains too basic things to learn. What do you about that?

There is nothing called "too basic" unless you are already an very much familiar, in which case you're asking a wrong question in the first place. You only need to learn basics. After you get a certain level of skillset, only then you go for further things. It's a good book but I liked "Learning SQL" more. But Head First series always add a fun element to learning which no other series can do.

And no I don't think it covers "PL/SQL" and nor does "Learning SQL" does in that regard. PL/SQL is overrated in my opinion anyway unless you are really serious in building a career in databases, rather than just adding it to your existing skillset.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
There is nothing called "too basic" unless you are already an very much familiar, in which case you're asking a wrong question in the first place. You only need to learn basics. After you get a certain level of skillset, only then you go for further things. It's a good book but I liked "Learning SQL" more. But Head First series always add a fun element to learning which no other series can do.

And no I don't think it covers "PL/SQL" and nor does "Learning SQL" does in that regard. PL/SQL is overrated in my opinion anyway unless you are really serious in building a career in databases, rather than just adding it to your existing skillset.

Yup absolutely correct. Yes, it doesn't cover pl/sql.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Well my basics are pretty clear, just wanted to brush up all, along with some advanced knowledge. And yeah, I'd prefer career in database over soft dev anyday. Any good reference book which explains from scratch?

And if the book contains PL/SQL, then even better.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Head first sql explains from scratch and isn't boring one bit. You'll definitely appreciate it mate.:)

For pl/sql- try the following:

SQL, PL/SQL The Programming Language Of Oracle

Read this for pl/sql only after completing head first sql.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ I have it but haven't started pl/sql stuff yet. Honestly mate. :)

Give it a look at a bookstore nearby. Its quite popular and gives a good insight into pl/sql.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom