LCD Monitor is bad for eyes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
zyberboy

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
eddie said:
Which "norms" are we talking about here anyways and what is completely safe according to your "common sense"?

It must meet what manufacturers and reviews are saying(most of them have found that lcd is too bright).And what about all the crt vs lcd comparison, and lcd still causes problems

eddie said:
That is why I gave you that example. If you are living...nothing is "completely safe". Accept that!
But who denied it ,I already told what i meant by the term "completely safe" in the above post

eddie

El mooooo
cyberboy_kerala said:
It must meet what manufacturers and reviews are saying(most of them have found that lcd is too bright).
Can you post a few examples where manufacturers claim that their LCDs have "less" brightness while when they sell the finished product...they have more brightness?
And what about all the crt vs lcd comparison, and lcd still causes problems
Except the one that you linked us to...can you tell us in which comparisons they tell us that LCDs cause more problems?
But who denied it ,I already told what i meant by the term "completely safe" in the above post
I must have missed your definition of "completely safe" that is relevant to living world. Mind copy-pasting it?

OP
zyberboy

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
eddie said:
Can you post a few examples where manufacturers claim that their LCDs have "less" brightness while when they sell the finished product...they have more brightness?

I mean easy on eyes said by research ,reviews, companies,And we know that too much brightness is not easy on eyes.

eddie said:
Except the one that you linked us to...can you tell us in which comparisons they tell us that LCDs cause more problems?
I have not said that ."All the crt vs lcd comparison",and saying it is better than crt in every respect.But fails in one critical part "Glare" The no one cause which can easily make you wear specs

Its looks like i may have to move this thread to Fight Club..lol

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
For those finding LCD too bright, trying tilting the screen upwards (towards the ceiling) a little. don't put it flat on its back though. In my experience a LCD (in a laptop) is brighter if looked from above(I have no idea why)

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
chesss said:
For those finding LCD too bright, trying tilting the screen upwards (towards the ceiling) a little. don't put it flat on its back though. In my experience a LCD (in a laptop) is brighter if looked from above(I have no idea why)
the way it should be... and keep the resolution at LCD's MAX.

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
My sister has problems with LCDs, seems like she isnt the only one :). I have no problems with either, however, I find that LCDs are the best when it comes to viewing text or images at native resolutions, i.e. word processing surfing etc, but when it comes to gaming or movies, I am sorry to say, the LCDs just cannot compare with CRTs, even when viewing hi def content.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
lcds as of today cannot compare with advancements in crt .... crts have been for such a long time as a result there have been trmendous advencements in them ....

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?
cyberboy_kerala said:
Brought Samsung SyncMaster 740n thinking that now my eyes can rest a bit ,but to me it is very disappointing .
Feeling pain deep inside my eyes i dont know why, first i thought this is not possible i am using lcd.Then i searched the net and got a link
*www.cloanto.com/users/mcb/19960719lcd.html
which confirmed my doubts that" fluorescent light " in lcd can cause problem to some people....what a disappointment dis lcd is
One of my friend had warned me not to buy lcd(he bought samsung 17 inch crt 1 month ago ) i have never heared lcd having problem with eyes before that....i think he was right .White coloured webpages r killing my eyes, now using a greasemonkey script to change color automatically.

In terms of performance SyncMAster 740 is good no ghosting(8ms) or anything in UT2004 & movies,good color and sharpness

Tried different settings brightness 0, contrast 0,60hz ,75hz, different res,but no help
My other family members doesn't feel anything
Earlier i was using " hcl 15inch crt" monitor, no problem even after 6 -8hrs continues .
Feeling better today...

ya crts are always better ..the only drawback is that the are goddamn bulcky!!! :0)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
CRT is better than LCD.

1)U have multiple choise of resolutionin CRT..but U get best result on a particular resolution only in CRT.

2)No dead pixel problem in CRT.

and many more advantage

cooldip10

In the zone
So that's the reason I had problem in my eyes :x when I was working on a laptop for continous 7 hrs. Although I kept the brightness to minimum level. I felt mild pain in my eyes when i got up frm there...
But this way jumpin to a result won't ba good idea. Let DIGIT do a little bit of researchin... :)

aj27july

Journeyman
i already knew that lcd screens are harmful to eyes.
and also that their contrast ratio isn't as good as that of crt monitors.
so i use a crt monitor.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
I just found out something.
Glossy sucks!!!!!!
the time of strainless glareless Lcd is gone :( .. atleast in laptops
today's laptop's only come with the stupid and dumb glossy screens instead of matte ones.
result huge glare with stupidly bright and very very reflective screens..
read *arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/5/16/4004 and mourn human stupidity.

GeeNeeYes

powerd ↻ pramod
adjust your monitor refresh rate

the problem you all are facing is due to low refresh rate
set the monitor's refresh rate to atleast 80Hz or above that..

the greater the refresh rate , the less will be your eyes strained

:D

Edburg

In the zone
^^ What is the ideal Refresh rate for my 17" CRT ? I have set brightness and contrast very low.All i need is long working hours without much eye strain.
And i was thinking of buying a LCD to releive my eyes but it seems that i wont buy after reading this thread.

OP
zyberboy

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
Re: adjust your monitor refresh rate

GeeNeeYes said:
the problem you all are facing is due to low refresh rate
set the monitor's refresh rate to atleast 80Hz or above that..

the greater the refresh rate , the less will be your eyes strained

:D
It has been said that refresh rate doesn't matter for lcd.
For crt(refresh rate) it is maximum it supports.And to Edburg try lcd for one week if possible and decide...

Edburg

In the zone
Re: adjust your monitor refresh rate

cyberboy_kerala said:
It has been said that refresh rate doesn't matter for lcd.
For crt(refresh rate) it is maximum it supports.And to Edburg try lcd for one week if possible and decide...

Thx i'll try at my friends house after my semester exams get over.

faraaz

Evil Genius
I have a Samsung 19" widescreen LCD monitor at home, which I use for like 8-12 hours a day...no headaches for me at all! On the contrary, when I use my mom's computer which has a Samsung 17" CRT, I get a splitting headache after like 2 hours...so, no...LCD monitors aren't bad for eyes. If anything, they are good compared to CRTs!

wilderness

Broken In
Ok, all,

Please post your model number and your specs too, with your comments. The specs means what resolution, what grafx card, what refresh rate etc you have set, not the specs on the manufacturers site.

I have a 15" HP LCD monitor with a branded HP P4 3 Ghz PC in my office.
Resolution - 1024 x 768, 32bit color
Font - 96 dpi
Graphics - 945G
Refresh rate - 60 Hz.

CyberBoy,

I had a 17" Samsung CRT screen about a year ago at my workplace, now I have a 15" LCD screen. I initially had problems but now I find CRTs without the black screens really irritating. The problem might arise because of sudden change of curve. LCD screens are truly flat, unlike CRT screens. Eyes do take some time to get used to them.

Note that if you are gaming, then the problem is entirely different. Its overstressing the eyes, not the monitors fault.

Some tips - (no particular order)
1. Adjust brightness and contrast to somewhere around 50%. Then adjust further. My contrast is 40 and brightness is 45%.
2. Try turning off clearType. Mine is off. I find it better. (I believe, this will mostly solve your problem. I am betting 90% that this would be the issue.)
3. Some graphical applications like nvidia control center or Intel graphics driver might be present. See their settings. I have intel graphics properties. My gamma says 1.0 . There is a brightness and contrast setting here too. Leave settings here to default. Avoid changing them, unless you are doing professional photoshop or dreamweaver or flash stuff, etc, and you know what you are doing. Just check if you have some non-default values here. Just hit the "restore defaults" button.
4. Check if you have all graphics drivers installed. A friend of mine got pretty ugly graphics on his CRT if he did not install the nvidia graphics card driver.
5. Again, tilt (vertical and the stand too) the screen to a comfortable level. It should directly face you, such that the screen surface is perpendicular to your eyes. Eg, if the monitor is below eye level, tilt it up to face you.
6. 740N aspect ratio is 4:5. (or 5:4 whatever). So keep resolution to 1280 x 1024. If available, Keep this ON/Checked - "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" for both refresh rates and resolution.

Try all this and let us know.

eddie said:
Though it says that revision was done in 2004 (not 2001) but I highly doubt there was much revision. Here is a little research done by a professor of cornell university related to CRT and LCD
*ergo.human.cornell.edu/Pub/LCD_vs_CRT_AH.pdf
I think you should read it :)

Good one, Eddie. And that one is from 2003. Well, the prof is almost wholly in favour of LCD screens.

My experience is that LCDs are atleast good for work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom