LAN accross 150 mts

Status
Not open for further replies.

techno tublai

Broken In
Hello Everyone. Me and my friend need to setup a LAN from my house to his. We are appx 150 mts apart. Plese tell me how to do that in a cost effective and reliable manner. We dont want excessively high data speeds. Thanking in advance.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Check out *groups.google.com/group/comp.netwo...king+150+metres&rnum=2&hl=en#e2a67068ab21cba0 for some discussion on the same matter... Discussed in the US and some minor details might not be applicable, but essentially, many possibilities, their advantages and limitations have been discussed...

Arun

mediator

Technomancer
Wireless...is the best option for u guyz! Go for wireless router that provides 802.3 g configuration! Well modern wireless routers provide both g & b confg i think!

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^^ With wireless, I believe you will have to ensure clear line of sight, otherwise range might get reduced considerably... Even if you have clear line of sight now, you must check if such situation will exist as long as you need the LAN connection

Arun

mediator

Technomancer
Oh no there's no issue of line of sight! Cmon if it were to be an issue, then Wimax wud not be implemented in first place.

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
techno tublai said:
We dont have any line of sight. So wi-fi is a no-no. How about CAT 5 cables?

You an use CAT-5 cables to set up a wired LAN.But both the system must have a Ethernet card.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ The maximum cable length for a CAT-5 cable is 100 mts.. You will need a repeater to use CAT-5 cable for your network.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
dude what is the big deal get CAT6 cables and enjoy gigabit ethernet and maz range up to 700M. ofcuurse u should buy very good quality gigabit lan cards for proper error correction over long range.

besides u say the distance is 150m and u say that there is no streight line of sight. so consider this, when u put the wire its required length will increase manyfiold. just like if a room is 10x10 feet . and u have a light switch on one wall for bulb on the opp wall. here the wire length wont be 10feet but about 20feet. because the wire has to move along corners and run along walls.

it would be best to measure the exact distance and if u fall short of wire and then get more to join into it then u leave it exposed to moisture and corrosion. which is very easy outdoors.

u should run a thread along the whole path and then measure the length of the thread, then get wire atleast 5% extra. also keep into ming that if one of u later has to move the computer around in the house then u need extra length.

all i want to say is Plan Ahead.

here are a couple of links of CAT5-CAT6 comparisin

*www.connectworld.net/syscon/support.htm
*www.ozzu.com/ftopic34232.html

EDIT: another advice.. keep the wire away from electrical/telephone lines.

Last edited:

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
no one uses BNC cards now....

i think the cheapest way wud be to get 2 ethernet cards, a hub and CAT5 cable.....(and a repeater as kalpik says).....u can also cut off HUB if u use cross crimped cable.

OP
techno tublai

techno tublai

Broken In
Guys forget abt the LAN and BNC. I have decided abt going wireless. Can any one comment? Price of w-lan card? I have got clear line of sight now. But will ad-hoc mode be good for abt 150 mts with even line of sight?

mediator

Technomancer
I also wanna go wireless so will buy a wireless router(wirelss+ethernet cable) first, connect its wire to the desktop and operate wirelessly to lappy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom