keyboard not works on boot

cray.x

Broken In
hello guys I'm facing a strange problem :-?, while booting my window my keyboard doesn't works although I'm able to use it to enter BIOS, even i can use it for other applications in windows. but whenever it asks me to choose my OS it doesn't works. it is a PS/2 keyboard.
the system specs are
AMD A8 3850
Asus F1A55 m lx plus
corsair 4gb ddr3 1600mhz
250gb WD HDD.
:|:|

Sujeet

Undead!!!
strange problem..indeed.
Does it works flawlessly in all other apps.???
Check if arrow keys are working fine.
Maybe loose connections.
Does it occur regularly.?

helion

Broken In
Looks like a Windows problem, a boot sector problem, or a HDD problem since you claim all is well till the point the HDD gets involved.

Some typical attempts can be made like

a. Cleaning/reconnecting the HDD and trying.

b. Boot from the optical drive and use the recovery type of disk to get a look in. Here you can carry on with usual practices like checkdisk etc.

c. Mostly you might have to redo the boot file using help from Windows site, depending on the OS.

OP
cray.x

cray.x

Broken In
strange problem..indeed.
Does it works flawlessly in all other apps.???
Check if arrow keys are working fine.
Maybe loose connections.
Does it occur regularly.?

dude everything runs perfectly! every key in every application, I'm facing this problem from the last 2 weeks, earlier it happened occasionally, but now it is a regular behavior.

Are you dual/Multibooting? Which Boot Loader/Manager are you using?
its the basic windows boot loader I'm running win xp and win 7.

:-?:-?:-?:-?

helion

Broken In
dude everything runs perfectly! every key in every application, I'm facing this problem from the last 2 weeks, earlier it happened occasionally, but now it is a regular behavior.

its the basic windows boot loader I'm running win xp and win 7.

:-?:-?:-?:-?

Windows 7 doesn't even accommodate multibooting. The only way you can have had two booting options is that you are using the Windows XP boot loader and its boot.ini file.

In case you proceed to rewrite the boot sector you could end up losing access to both the OS or at least to XP, but more or less it seems like you will have to, or keep editing the boot.ini file each time you boot so that you get the OS of your choice at the top each time.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
from keyboard prob...it has headed to bootloaders and hdd problem...stay on topic and try connecting a nother keyboard to pc to check if its a windows prob.

Gollum

Collector
Do the following steps

restore defaults in BIOS
remove all cables from tower
hold down power button for 40seconds
connect only 3 basic cables - power, vga, keyboard
restart PC and check.

helion

Broken In
Another 'attempt' could be to clear the CMOS and see, but it is most likely a messed up boot sector on the HDD.

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
I faced the same problem. In BIOS ps/2 keyboards would works fine but when windows starts the keyboard driver needs to be running. But while booting this cant happen. I dont know why it works with BIOS, but mostly this only happens when using a ps/2 keyboard in a 64bit windows 7 OS. You could try using a ps/2 to usb converter or else you have to get a usb keyboard to resolve this problem.

But if this problem is occational, it could also mean that the power supply might not be enough.

helion

Broken In
Replace the CMOS battery with a brand new and see, in case the battery is reasonably old on the board. I might have viewed the PSU with some interest for its 5v/5v standby line, but following the other thread you ended up getting a brand new one, so it was less likely I felt.

OP
cray.x

cray.x

Broken In
helion if the battery has gone then the time would have already been reset. but it didnt. BTW the board is just a month old!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - if possible repair your win 7 installation,

I faced the same problem. In BIOS ps/2 keyboards would works fine but when windows starts the keyboard driver needs to be running. But while booting this cant happen. I dont know why it works with BIOS, but mostly this only happens when using a ps/2 keyboard in a 64bit windows 7 OS. You could try using a ps/2 to usb converter or else you have to get a usb keyboard to resolve this problem.

But if this problem is occational, it could also mean that the power supply might not be enough.

I'm using a PS2 KB and it works fine with win 7 x64 boot menu.

helion

Broken In
Dropping voltage on the battery has some glitchy effects like working fine just the once it is re-seated etc, signalling that it needs to be replaced. Anyway, the battery attempt is more a matter of timepass since it is almost ruled out in this case.

PS/2 or the USB, both run on 5v. It doesn't matter whether or not you alter the port.

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
@ OP - if possible repair your win 7 installation,

I'm using a PS2 KB and it works fine with win 7 x64 boot menu.

Mine didnt work and it was quite old. About 3-4 yrs old. It was from a company called Netropa. The kyboard didnt even work after the windows 7 x64 had booted. the windows gave an error that keyboard driver wasnt installed. I installed it from an installation disk but the driver didnt work. I also searched the net for the driver but that driver also didnt work. the keyboard worked fine with win 7 x86 and win xp x86. Later i didnt try with any ps/2 to usb converter and bought a usb keyboard. Maybe cray.x has an old ps/2 keyboard too.

Top Bottom