Kerala's Schools to Use Only Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
No, I mean to say that people should be given the choice.
Whether he'd chose windows or linux is his personal opinion.
Teach them both in schools.Educate them the positives and negatives.
Let them decide what they want to use.
I still say people have the right to decide what the want,
Not live with the choices governments make for them.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
No, I mean to say that people should be given the choice.
Whether he'd chose windows or linux is his personal opinion.
Teach them both in schools.Educate them the positives and negatives.
Let them decide what they want to use.
I still say people have the right to decide what the want,
Not live with the choices governments make for them.
that's better.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
How about GIMP for graphics design :p ?!

If Linux isn't forced, people don't know what is Linux until circumstances force them. eg. me I was a Win32sux user 1 year ago. I got mad due those idiotic viruses, etc.

I asked dad to get broadband, downloaded Linux and switched to Linux permanently. Though recently I was compelled to install win2k in my system for troubleshooting of my older broadband connection which was later found that the conn. was not supported in Linux due to ISPs configuration problem. After getting VSNL, I don't remember accessing win2k in my system!
The industry standards is Adobe Photoshop.
for Animation its Maya

vaithy

In the zone
If kerala actually want to boot out Windows , then they can do this much easily with the following measures:
1) Raid with BSA goons to the shopkeepers premises, resellers locations , and school, colleges where only pirated windows copies used, put them behind bar ( M$ could not complain on this matter)
2)Companies using open sources may be given some tax break, tax concessions etc.,)
3)Tender conditions compulsarily mentioned that the software supplied should be inclusion of sourcecodes with unrestricted rights for the Govt.(EULA has no locus standi with law of the land).
then watch the fireworks!!

vaithy

sakumar79

Technomancer
Actually, for image editing, GIMP is pretty good, even though it has a slightly steep learning curve. However, there are also many other free software for image editing that are simple to use... And in animation also, there is Blender which is available for free... Only when you go into professional level development, you will need more powerful features found in Photoshop/3DS Max/Maya, etc...

Arun

F

FilledVoid

I don't think that everyone is getting the point here. Not ALL schools are goign to start implementing Linux systems in it. This article only points mainly to Government schools and the ones who follow the SSLC boards which I believe only account for a small percentage of todays students. I might be wrong but I'm betting that it wouldn't account for more than 50% of the student population in Kerala. I might be wrong here so don't quote me on it :) .

The remaining percentage will implement whatever they please or whatever is required by the syllabus of the board they come under. If you ask me its more a Political Issue than any poor student benefiting from anything but thats just my stance. if they did it to reduce the expenses incurred by each school then I hope they invest it in gettign some of those schools new hardware which they can use whatever OS they want :).

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I'll give you the fact that the persons freedom is being limited to a certain extent. but considering the financial crisis Kerala is in at the moment. I wouldn't mind the trade off saving that much more money . And please don't say Education Cess. Education Cess is not used for developing the technological standards of a school.
Well ask for more money from people wanting to pursue MS technologies, since they're way costlier. And then linux isn't free of cost either?

GIMP is quite good to fight Adobe Photoshop.
Not really when it comes to prinout quality. Major high quality printers have CMYK colour scheme, but very few FOSS softwares use CMYK, most of them are RGB. Yes, it's possible to get equivalent quality of print outs using FOSS tools too but you'll need a very good and indepth understanding of how colours are reproduced on printers, how these softwares work and a lot more. Atleast, a person like me who doesn't know much about these things will struggle a lot.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
IMO, better move would be curbing Pirated the use of pirated software.
This way Linux user base would increase as Most won't pay for a OS.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
for Animation its Maya
For once try blender. If you want I will give you a DVD full of tuts, you'll be amazed at it. We just had a workshop on Blender yesterday. Even my friend who's got a good know how of maya and another person who has worked professionally on Maya, were ashtonished by Blender. All of 5 of us who sat for that session were blown away.
Let me state some facts.
1) Blender is just about 13.5 mb in size compared to GB's of maya, 3ds max and all.
2) We ran blender on 2 laptops - one with core duo and 256MB RAM and other was worse, celeron 1.2GHz with 256MB of RAM, both with onboard intel graphics.
I'd like to see your Maya run on that config.
3) Blender supports clustering, maya doesn't AFAIK
There are already talks at HBCSE to set up 8 rack cluster with 64GB of RAM, and they maybe trying blender on it.

adi007

Youngling
Cool....
and BTW in our college,all comp's of browsing center and not to mention the college server is running with the aid of Linux
The only area which it has not entered is Computer science lab....where .NET,VB etc. are taught...
I have no complaint in linux but the only thing i'm lacking is VB...that's all...i know there are lots of alternatives like Glade,QT etc....but VB is VB....
The one software which i liked in Linux is Gambas which is a clone of VB but it has several feautures lacking....i just hope it gets fully developed..:)

F

FilledVoid

Well ask for more money from people wanting to pursue MS technologies, since they're way costlier. And then linux isn't free of cost either?

Thats what private schools usually do. There are backward schools that can barely afford the price of a system how would they raise the money for this in the first place. Which leads me back to what Im trying to say. The implementation of Linux is most likely going to happen at these schools which can't bare the cost of implementation rather than a posh school in a metropolitan city.

By the way I dont have actual sources to verify this . I'm just saying that if I were the educational Minister of Kerala and it was upto me to decide whether I would want WIndows or Linux. Then the answer is simple. Financial constraints > all. If I had unlimited reserves of money then both operating systems at each school. Other wise it would be Linux.

din

Tribal Boy
I don't think that everyone is getting the point here. Not ALL schools are goign to start implementing Linux systems in it. This article only points mainly to Government schools and the ones who follow the SSLC boards which I believe only account for a small percentage of todays students.
Wrong. All Govt schools + aided etc will come under it and that makes it large majority. Yes, CBSE / ICSE schools are not under this, but that does not make majority / near majority.

And as I mentioned once in another thread, they are learning basic tools n languages only - which will not make much difference with the OS. I mean word processing, spread sheets, presentations, HTML, Basic programming language etc.

Yes, giving a choice is always good, instaed of Lin only. But the problem in Kerala - atleast places away from big cities (which constitutes the large majority) people / school can't afford paying $$$ for softwares. The computers in schools itself will be donated by PTA, organizations, MLAs etc and making every system Windows will not be possible for them financially.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
^+1
Also remember, the government has changed the syllabus and the exam papers. So if I am not wrong, all schools private or otherwise, affiliated to Kerela state board will be affected by this.

F

FilledVoid

Wrong. All Govt schools + aided etc will come under it and that makes it large majority. Yes, CBSE / ICSE schools are not under this, but that does not make majority / near majority.

Im not sure about the stats of student populations in either board so as I said I might be wrong there. And please note that I said the schools that follow the SSLC boards. Isnt that the same as the Kerala state board? I havent studied under the SSLC board (or the board that conducts it) so Im not sure about this. But I think it is the same.

Yes, giving a choice is always good, instaed of Lin only. But the problem in Kerala - atleast places away from big cities (which constitutes the large majority) people / school can't afford paying $$$ for softwares. The computers in schools itself will be donated by PTA, organizations, MLAs etc and making every system Windows will not be possible for them financially.

Which is what I said in the beginning. Linux will be used in schools which can't afford purchasing of software. Or at least thats what I do if Im in the Governments shoes.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
for Animation its Maya
Blender *www.blender.org/ and Gimp rock.. and adobe now gaining some sense ..:p People will see PS and all under Linux .. *opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/site/Home

Just 1 thing.. and it wil own every 1 .. I know this move will be a bit on the harsh side.. but as your saying about choice..
Put the choice.. and still bet people wil use linux.. But the condition should be like this

USE Linux or Original Windows.. People thinking buying PC under 15 would never buy Windows which costs 10-15k for the "WoW" factor.. I just never understand what "WoW" in that :p

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Blender *www.blender.org/ and Gimp rock.. and adobe now gaining some sense ..:p People will see PS and all under Linux .. *opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/site/Home

Just 1 thing.. and it wil own every 1 .. I know this move will be a bit on the harsh side.. but as your saying about choice..
Put the choice.. and still bet people wil use linux.. But the condition should be like this

USE Linux or Original Windows.. People thinking buying PC under 15 would never buy Windows which costs 10-15k for the "WoW" factor.. I just never understand what "WoW" in that :p
:lol:

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
IMO, better move would be curbing Pirated the use of pirated software.
This way Linux user base would increase as Most won't pay for a OS.

Its not that .. We will pay.. If its for Genuine use. Look I am a Genuine guys.. I never purchased facked things. I have few games titles and all are Genuine.. Ok I am going to pay for Windows even a premium price tag of 10-15k .. Then see how my account tremble..

1. I need a powerful rig say 30-40 k for minimal use I am considering Vista .. or 60-70k for high end.. Now don't debate me on config.. I know a lot more about hardware than one might have thought :p
2. Chalo somehow I convinced my parent and spend nearly a 1lakh for PC + Gaming .. Now my sister is a GFX designer.[though she isn't]. She needs PS now I spend 50k+..
3. I have .pdf, .rm,files, I can't view out of the box.. But I am paying 15k for the OS /.//
4. I am using net .. Darn it .. Blast you Gates.. The internet bombarded trillions of malicious code..
5. What to do should I paid 3k+ on Internet security or 1-1.5k on AV..
6. There are lot more things to name... just think before saying....Windows windows windows... How guys say that and I would have gone bankrupt if I would have gone by your suggestion;.. Seesh so much for a OS...

Well all thing are inverse for Linux.. I just need to d/l few Mb's of codecs.. and I'll play all sort of media files.. and I was pissed by seeing this comment.. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=771019&postcount=18

GXSaurav you are a MVP and still you still don't know that no 1 in Windows use the default codecs. Either people install Klite or something else. So its nearly same when It comes to play mp3 :|
That's it .. In no matter MS windows is superior if you go Genuine way.. and if you are using ahem ver.. [not to say but nearly users are birds of same feather who flock together]..and despite knowing that you are using ahem windows and still bragging about it :| Then I must say Windows users are without an honor ..Just like ambidentate ligand :p

P.S : No offense meant to anyone :| Sorry if I have hurt anyone in any respect ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom