Kerala's Schools to Use Only Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Kerala will become the first state in India to completely switch from Microsoft Windows to only GNU/Linux free software to be used in the mandatory IT test at the state SSLC examinations.

Until last year, the students could take the test either by using
Windows or Linux. From now on, the use of GNU/Linux free software will be compulsory, because the state government ordered so a few weeks ago. Now, in IT education, high school students will use the new Linux text books created by the State Council for Educational Research and Training (SCERT) and the Free Software Foundation from India.

All the high schools in Kerala will have high-speed broadband Internet connections by this July, by using free software. Education Minister M. A. Baby said:

The big cost of maintaining the massive Windows-based infrastructure seems to be the main reason behind completely abandoning Windows solutions and moving to Linux applications.

Last year, the Left Government vowed to use only free, open-source software in every project they might create, and declared it would motivate – by using funds, I think – companies developing free software. A senior state IT official said:

These two words "freedom" and "compulsory" don't get along too well, from my point of view. By forcing the students to use ONLY free and open-source applications will just turn out to be a bad idea. Of course, there will be a few persons who might like the idea, but this will scare everyone else. No one can force knowledge in someone's mind, that's why only some of the students, let's say a mere 20-30 percent of them, will be fully interested in Linux, while the others will consider learning it a boring process.

Source : IndianExpress.com :: Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I don't understand why this suddenly becomes news. Kerala has been adopting Linux in schools since 2006 if I recall right.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Thread reported. Already posted and the thread has met the usual ending.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82156

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I'm letting this thread run as an independent thread. But it WILL be locked if people go off topic.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I don't think Microsoft will sit quietly, they might go in for litigation.

About what Kerala Government not adopting Windows. No can do. basically they would have to sue the Government and as folks in Kerala know. Thats not going to get you anywhere.....

I don't think Microsoft will sit quietly, they might go in for litigation.
they can't do anything. If they go to court, there will be reasons asked.
and the moment M$ monopoly issue is raised, the ball will be in govt's court

the following arugements can be used against M$ in court:

1. M$ products are expensive

2. Even if they are freely given to the govt, the source code of M$ OSes can't be made available to let the geekier students experiment

3. Even if there was a fair bidding, it has been proved time and again that as an OS, linux based systems are extremely more effitient than M$ solutions

4. M$ is against the Leftist ideologies of the Kerala Govt

5. M$ products are insecure; sensitive data on M$ based systems can't be held as safely as in Linux based systems. There are countless bugs, holes and viruses in M$ systems.

6. M$ products may not be sutiable for mission critical applications. One may aruge that such applications don't take place in schools; but if Linux is used, the same knowledge(linux) can be applied even at the student's future, when he works(in mission critical applications). And hence Linux is more future proof
About what Kerala Government not adopting Windows. No can do. basically they would have to sue the Government and as folks in Kerala know. Thats not going to get you anywhere.....
+1. And if there is an exeption, use my set of points.
You can easily expect an anti-M$ strike in kerala. There are countless strikes already for every small issue in kerala. So anything against the Govt will mean Crisis.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I am totally disappointed by this move.
I always liked FOSS because there was freedom of choice.
There are other ways to balance an unbalanced scale but this method is absolutely blasphemous

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
they can't do anything. If they go to court, there will be reasons asked.
and the moment M$ monopoly issue is raised, the ball will be in govt's court

the following arugements can be used against M$ in court:

1. M$ products are expensive

2. Even if they are freely given to the govt, the source code of M$ OSes can't be made available to let the geekier students experiment

3. Even if there was a fair bidding, it has been proved time and again that as an OS, linux based systems are extremely more effitient than M$ solutions

4. M$ is against the Leftist ideologies of the Kerala Govt

5. M$ products are insecure; sensitive data on M$ based systems can't be held as safely as in Linux based systems. There are countless bugs, holes and viruses in M$ systems.

6. M$ products may not be sutiable for mission critical applications. One may aruge that such applications don't take place in schools; but if Linux is used, the same knowledge(linux) can be applied even at the student's future, when he works(in mission critical applications). And hence Linux is more future proof

+2

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^^
well they can't completely avoid windows, so hence no monopoly

In course like Animation,graphics design etc windows is still a must.

But ya this at least People would know what Linux is.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I am totally disappointed by this move.
I always liked FOSS because there was freedom of choice.
There are other ways to balance an unbalanced scale but this method is absolutely blasphemous

I'll give you the fact that the persons freedom is being limited to a certain extent. but considering the financial crisis Kerala is in at the moment. I wouldn't mind the trade off saving that much more money . And please don't say Education Cess. Education Cess is not used for developing the technological standards of a school.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
^^^^
well they can't completely avoid windows, so hence no monopoly

In course like Animation,graphics design etc windows is still a must.

But ya this at least People would know what Linux is.
How about GIMP for graphics design :p ?!

If Linux isn't forced, people don't know what is Linux until circumstances force them. eg. me I was a Win32sux user 1 year ago. I got mad due those idiotic viruses, etc.

I asked dad to get broadband, downloaded Linux and switched to Linux permanently. Though recently I was compelled to install win2k in my system for troubleshooting of my older broadband connection which was later found that the conn. was not supported in Linux due to ISPs configuration problem. After getting VSNL, I don't remember accessing win2k in my system!

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Dude, FOSS is about Freedom.Not force.
IMO people should be given the right to choose what they want.
As i said, in trying to avoid the monopoly that MS is,
they are becoming another.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Dude, FOSS is about Freedom.Not force.
IMO people should be given the right to choose what they want.
As i said, in trying to avoid the monopoly that MS is,
they are becoming another.
Dude, M$ has monopoly. I can say with full guarantee that if someone is given to chose he'd choose win32sux in India (a very few about 10% will choose Linux).

So, does it mean that the remaining 90% should remain illiterate about Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom