Just another(boring? i swear not!!) Netbook buying query

Dr.tweaker

Journeyman
1) What is your budget?
Ans : around 15K-17K(at maxx)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
Ans a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
(Is there any netbook with 11" -12" screensize in this range,maximum upper limit being 12")

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
Ans :India

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Ans a. Like:Dell, Samsung, Toshiba, Asus, HP, MSI, Acer
b. Dislike:Olive, Wipro, HCL ,SImmtronics .

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
a. Surfing
b. Presentations and documents and excel
C.Music
d. Videos( I do have a Dell inspiron 15( I3, 4Gb, dedicated graphics for lil bit gaming and other geeky chores,but its feels too heavy and hot to move with around.)

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
Ans :Taking places(portability ,and LESS HEATING !! please)

7) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
Ans : Never ever, but then again can occassionally play HD(720p) videos and "playing" around with android and symbian ROMs and CFWs(if thats a game )

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
Ans : Greater, the better,but can sacrifice a bit for the screensize(11" or 12", only if available within my range)

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
Ans : Possibly yes, the feel of the keyboard is a important attribute to consider)

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Ans : No preferences , I know my way.

PS: Can i get any netbook with dual core atom and Nvidia Ion( both or either one of them) in this range? or even a AMD one with decent processing power and good graphics will suffice. Again can sacrifice on the graphics processor for a larger screensize(11" or 12"), with HD video(720p) being the tradeoff,but am game with it.
There is a EEEPc model at something around 17k with a 12" display, is it available now?what is the current price as well?
A secondary research suggested at the Dell inspiron mini 10 (mini 10v to be more precise,to test the "forbidden fruit" in it as well,but then again heard that i heats up and one of the deciding factors in getting a netbook is my lappy getting excessively hot,though can sacrifice a bit if it has dedicated graphics(again a tradeoff :p )

Cheers ...\m/

It will be kind enough if you guys can put in your views ( I am not that inclined towards the tablet,coz i need to give presentations and seminars as well and tablets do not have a VGA out and m not that comfy working on excel or powerpoint,that too in a touchscreen)

BUMP,no reply, BTW I too researched a bit and found the Asus EEEpc 1215B as a good option(fitting my bill of portability ), but priced on the higher side,can anyone confirm w\if its available in India,and at what pricepoint? Also any other options in this 12" segment,does the dell inspiron mini has integrated graphics as well?

Krow

Crowman
For around 21-22k HP dm1-3014AU is an absloute beast in netbook terms. I am using one and loving it. :) It is worth the extra money spent.

Gollum

Collector
any brazos system will run faster and be able to play full hd video content, but then again, these laptops are more expensive when they were designed to be cheap.

Krow

Crowman
21.5k is cheap IMHO. You get what you pay for.

Performance is excellent for a netbook.
Supports HD playback, people have reported plugging it to 46" LCDs and playing 1080p Blu-Ray media without any lags whatsoever.
1.6kg is pretty portable. :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ Dr.tweaker

Well i've got a perfect solution for you mate.

ASUS X53U –SX013D
@ 18.7k

Its based on the c50 dual core brazos cpu which is the younger sibling of E-350 based systems (eg-HP DM1). Check the above link and you'll find all details about it. Besides , it has a 15.6 inch screen and looks like a full fledged notebook. It also has a optical DVD writer built in just like a notebook.

Last edited:
OP
Dr.tweaker

Dr.tweaker

Journeyman
Thanks @all for your valuable suggestions.Now for my screensize and othe hardcore multimedia needs(and geeky stuffs as well)I do have a Dell Inspiron N 5010 with corei3,4 GB DDR3 RAM and !gr grahics as well,but since its gets too hard and is too large to lurk around with,so portability with decent performance is my concern ,and being a musicoholic , well apart from my managerial chores ,i spend he rest on music and videos (hence the concern for a 12" screen to get that minimum threshold screen estate) ,but then again,cant stretch my budget beyond 20K( any way am spending half the amount of my first pay-cheque on it :p ), so it has to be within 20K with decent multimedia performance and ability to run tha basic office applications and a bit of SPSS as well,thats all for me,last but not the least,it shouldnot get hot coz I have been suffering this problem since I went for this bulky heated beast from dell which feels like a toaster after 15mins of use,and inspite of cleaning the vents regularly

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Then the ASUS X53U –SX013D @ 18.7k is perfect for your needs. Grab it eyes closed.

Niilesh

Padawan
check this

MSI U270 Laptop

and this

Asus 1215B-BLK028W

and this

Lenovo S10-3s 59-043055

and this

HP Mini 110 Series 110-3608TU

wooster

Banned